Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wagon

Turned out pretty well for a first try. Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 6, 5:29*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Turned out pretty well for a first try. *Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. *Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Looks really nice and looks like it was a lot of fun to build.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Turned out pretty well for a first try. Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Hey don't leave us hanging.

Details man!! details!

What is this a model of? Any special historical or personal significance?

Whacha gonna use it for?

Is it usable? Can you put kids in it and pull it around?

Etc., etc....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Turned out pretty well for a first try. Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Looks nice. How about showing some of the wheel detail?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2010 6:57 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Turned out pretty well for a first try. Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Hey don't leave us hanging.

Details man!! details!

What is this a model of? Any special historical or personal significance?

Whacha gonna use it for?

Is it usable? Can you put kids in it and pull it around?

Etc., etc....

It's not really a model of anything--somebody wanted an "Amish farm
wagon" for a lawn decoration and offered to pay for the materials, I
googled it, showed him a picture,
http://www.mymodelships.com/product_images/pid_3615-Amish-Old-Fashioned-Buckboard-Wagon-Large-10.jpg,
he said "that's it", and I went from there.

The guy who paid for the materials gets it for a lawn ornament--he's
going to finish it to suit himself. He's talking about selling them
for that purpose, so I may end up with a production line going. Gonna
start another one for me--it's just such a neat thing that if all it
does is sit there and look pretty that's enough.

It's usable in the sense that it will roll with my 250 pounds in it.
Don't know how durable it will prove to be though--to really hold up it
needs shrunk-on steel tires which I never got around to fitting. Right
now the wheels are tight on the axles, they should loosen up though.
Kids could pull each other around in it but I suspect that the wheels
would come apart fairly quickly--on the other hand Titebond III may be
tougher than I expect.

I'm thinking about drawing up a set of plans and instructions for making it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like it. Neat project and good job.

I'd like to see details of the front axle pivot mechanism. I built a
cart, about 4' wide X 8' long, with a wooden pivot mechanism for a
single front wheel, with a (pull) handle like a child's wagon (toy).
Turned out pretty good, but the cart wasn't for weighted loads... it
was for potted plants to be rolled into the garage. Made it about 10
yrs ago and still in use. All cypress.

I'm not sure how a pivot might be made for an axle. Always thought
I'd may make another cart, some day, but with a front axle as you
have, there.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Turned out pretty well for a first try. Wheels are spruce and douglas
fir, with ash hubs, rest is poplar, axles are black gas pipe, box is 4
feet long. Up close there's a lot of room for improvement, but from 10
feet away it looks pretty good IMO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/4964837813/

Thanks for all the help and advice.

That wheel design is pretty slick! Going to shrink metal tyres on the next
one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2010 10:24 PM, Sonny wrote:
I like it. Neat project and good job.

I'd like to see details of the front axle pivot mechanism. I built a
cart, about 4' wide X 8' long, with a wooden pivot mechanism for a
single front wheel, with a (pull) handle like a child's wagon (toy).
Turned out pretty good, but the cart wasn't for weighted loads... it
was for potted plants to be rolled into the garage. Made it about 10
yrs ago and still in use. All cypress.

I'm not sure how a pivot might be made for an axle.

Real simple. 7/8 inch hole 2-1/2 inches deep in both pieces, and a 5
inch length of 1/2 inch gas pipe.

Always thought
I'd may make another cart, some day, but with a front axle as you
have, there.

Sonny

Setting a wagon tire J. Clarke Woodworking 90 August 6th 10 04:44 AM
Setting a wagon tire Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 1st 10 05:26 AM
My power wagon is in the DropBox Joe Pfeiffer Metalworking 0 September 23rd 08 05:41 PM
COVERED WAGON TOY BOX J T Woodworking 0 October 24th 05 05:29 AM
14" WAGON WHEEL J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 05 11:24 PM