Posted to rec.woodworking

Default danish oil on qtr sawn white oak project

Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just
poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the
flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat
morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've done three coats of polyurethane on a blazing hot day, out in the sun,
in the old days, before you could recoat in less than 24 hours. It was hard
as a rock at the end of the evening. I was impressed. Worried the hell out
of me about heat blisters though and I got none at all. Brushed on it was
very smooth.

"Larry C" wrote in message
Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just
poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the
flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat
morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry C wrote:
Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to
just poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so
the flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for
Sat morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

One of the wipe-on oils w/ driers, sure. You'll give it a final
buff/rubdown w/ dry cloth that morning but it should be fine.

I've used the Minwax Tung Oil or Original Oil finishes w/ that or
shorter time w/o problems. Being white oak is better than red as
porosity is much less (w/ red I'd recommend a paste filler first).

The only potential way it could possibly be a problem imo would be if
your humidity is also 90%.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 28, 2:33*pm, "Larry C"
wrote:
Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. *I was going to just
poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the
flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat
morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

A coat might be OK but be careful and wipe excess. I got into a time
crunch, with a gift quilt stand several years ago. I stained it and
started doing a full danish finish. I wiped several continuous coats
watching for the soaking process to slow. But then I walked away
without wiping all of the excess. It was done during cool weather and
humidity was not an issue but it took 1-2 days to dry.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:33:16 -0400, "Larry C"
wrote the following:

Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just
poly it

Heathen!

but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the
flecks pop a bit.

There ya go!

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat
morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

One coat, which is not enough, would be fairly dry by then.

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

4 coats of wiped-on Waterlox Original, then buff with Johnson's Paste
Wax usind a 0000 steel wool pad on Saturday afternoon.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I already used the danish oil on the cribbage board and it looks great. I
am also making a checkerboard and may use the same on that.

Thanks again

Larry C