Old July 29th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to cut preformed countertops???

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:57:40 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote the following:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy
about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you
score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on
some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the
real deal crumbles into a disaster. G

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in
the shape of an ell.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.

Old July 29th 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy
about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you
score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on
some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the
real deal crumbles into a disaster. G

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in
the shape of an ell.

An ell? But yes, score the back and snap

Old July 29th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:20:17 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

.. .
wrote the following:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy
about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you
score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on
some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the
real deal crumbles into a disaster. G

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in
the shape of an ell.

An ell?

What do you call this shape? Are we on the same page here, Lob?
http://fwd4.me/Yue

Laminate by itself, without the MDF backing, I'd score the front/top
and snap.

But yes, score the back and snap

Score the _BACK_? And snap to a raggedy laminate edge on the front
side? Please put your hands up n' step away from that bottle, sir!

Old July 29th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote the following:

. ..
wrote the following:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy
about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you
score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on
some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the
real deal crumbles into a disaster. G

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in
the shape of an ell.

An ell?

What do you call this shape? Are we on the same page here, Lob?
http://fwd4.me/Yue

Laminate by itself, without the MDF backing, I'd score the front/top
and snap.

He's talking about laminate by itself.

But yes, score the back and snap

Score the _BACK_? And snap to a raggedy laminate edge on the front
side? Please put your hands up n' step away from that bottle, sir!

Just tested it on some scrap. You are correct!

SCORE THE FRONT!

In practice you're going to cut over size and trim after you glue it down
anyway.

Old July 30th 10, 06:45 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy
about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you
score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on
some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the
real deal crumbles into a disaster. G

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in
the shape of an ell.

An ell?

What do you call this shape? Are we on the same page here, Lob?
http://fwd4.me/Yue

Laminate by itself, without the MDF backing, I'd score the front/top
and snap.

He's talking about laminate by itself.

Sheet laminate is not called "preformed countertops" as the subject is
titled, Lobby. Somebody screwed up.

But yes, score the back and snap

Score the _BACK_? And snap to a raggedy laminate edge on the front
side? Please put your hands up n' step away from that bottle, sir!

Just tested it on some scrap. You are correct!

SCORE THE FRONT!

Thank you. giggle

In practice you're going to cut over size and trim after you glue it down
anyway.

True, hopefully with a router, but a file does do an OK job manually.
Butcha gotta be C A R E F U L !

Old July 30th 10, 09:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

m...
wrote the following:

[...]

He got the preformed stuff done and moved on.