DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A good (and long) article about rust (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/305940-re-good-long-article-about-rust.html)

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 5th 10 08:52 AM

A good (and long) article about rust

"woodstuff" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of this, but not in one place and not so well-written?

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

woodstuff

From the link:
"You can discourage rust a number of ways. For my woodworking tools, like my
table saw and jointer tops, I use Automobile Paste Wax. I put it on fairly
heavily and often. It seems to work well. There are also cream waxes, but
these contain some water, so I stick with paste. "

Automobile paste wax frequently - Real Frequently - contains silicones.
Silicones are not conducive to decent finishes on wood. As wood passes over
a waxed surface containing silicones it picks up some of those silicones and
renders it difficult to finish.

Use Boeshield or Johnson red stripe paste wax.

This was a jump off the page issue. After seeing this, I did not bother
reading the rest of it.

[email protected] July 6th 10 02:30 AM

A good (and long) article about rust

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:52:57 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"woodstuff" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of this, but not in one place and not so well-written?

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

woodstuff

From the link:
"You can discourage rust a number of ways. For my woodworking tools, like my
table saw and jointer tops, I use Automobile Paste Wax. I put it on fairly
heavily and often. It seems to work well. There are also cream waxes, but
these contain some water, so I stick with paste. "

Automobile paste wax frequently - Real Frequently - contains silicones.
Silicones are not conducive to decent finishes on wood. As wood passes over
a waxed surface containing silicones it picks up some of those silicones and
renders it difficult to finish.

Use Boeshield or Johnson red stripe paste wax.

This was a jump off the page issue. After seeing this, I did not bother
reading the rest of it.

Automotive "paste wax" does not contain silicones.
Many "automotive polishes" do.
Automotive "paste wax" is much like Johnson paste wax - usually high
in Carnaubu, along with mixtures of paraffin , beaswax, and what have
you - but NOT silicone.None of Turtles "paste waxes" including super
hard shell, super hard shell carnaubu,extreme paste wax or liquid
paste wax contain silicones. Nor does the original formula Simoniz,
which is still available.

dpb July 6th 10 02:48 AM

A good (and long) article about rust

Automotive "paste wax" does not contain silicones.
Many "automotive polishes" do.
Automotive "paste wax" is much like Johnson paste wax - usually high
in Carnaubu, along with mixtures of paraffin , beaswax, and what have
you - but NOT silicone.None of Turtles "paste waxes" including super
hard shell, super hard shell carnaubu,extreme paste wax or liquid
paste wax contain silicones. Nor does the original formula Simoniz,
which is still available.

How do you know that...I can't find any info that says one way or
another what the wax product ingredients are. Their FAQ on
silicones/polymers simply says silicones are polishing agent additives
but doesn't say there's not some included in any of the waxes.

I certainly had been led to believe the lore; would be pleased to know
certain whether is/isn't...

J. Clarke July 6th 10 03:52 AM

wrote:

wrote in message
I have seen a lot of this, but not in one place and not so well-written?

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

woodstuff

From the link:
"You can discourage rust a number of ways. For my woodworking tools, like my
table saw and jointer tops, I use Automobile Paste Wax. I put it on fairly
heavily and often. It seems to work well. There are also cream waxes, but
these contain some water, so I stick with paste. "

Automobile paste wax frequently - Real Frequently - contains silicones.
Silicones are not conducive to decent finishes on wood. As wood passes over
a waxed surface containing silicones it picks up some of those silicones and
renders it difficult to finish.

Use Boeshield or Johnson red stripe paste wax.

This was a jump off the page issue. After seeing this, I did not bother
reading the rest of it.

Automotive "paste wax" does not contain silicones.

You've personally analyzed every such product on the market? You have a
source that has done so?

Many "automotive polishes" do.
Automotive "paste wax" is much like Johnson paste wax - usually high
in Carnaubu, along with mixtures of paraffin , beaswax, and what have
you - but NOT silicone.None of Turtles "paste waxes" including super
hard shell, super hard shell carnaubu,extreme paste wax or liquid
paste wax contain silicones.

Per http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/T411R.pdf, Turtle Wax PLATINUM
SERIES ULTRA GLOSS PASTE WAX contains 7-10 percent Volatile Silicone
D-5. Oops.

Nor does the original formula Simoniz,
which is still available.

From where?

Sorry, but Johnson and Butcher's have a track record, car waxes do not.
If you can provide a list of car waxes that are silicone-free and can
back that list up with test results you'll be doing a useful service,
but your blanket statement is just plain wrong.