Old June 23rd 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default sealing end grains on gate / compressor bleed out

a) I know you can use glue sizing (1 part glue, 10 parts water) as a
pre-finish seal on end grain. Can this be done on outside as well,
specifically cedar end grain?

b) any suggestions on how to bleed out a 27 gallon compressor easily
when not using? I jsut leave it pressurized all the time, which I know
is not good for the tank or fittings? Valve is on the bottom, of
course.

Chris

Old June 23rd 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
a) I know you can use glue sizing (1 part glue, 10 parts water) as a
pre-finish seal on end grain. Can this be done on outside as well,
specifically cedar end grain?

b) any suggestions on how to bleed out a 27 gallon compressor easily
when not using? I jsut leave it pressurized all the time, which I know
is not good for the tank or fittings? Valve is on the bottom, of
course.

Chris

a) Yes but it will not be waterproof. You be better off using epoxy.

b) Why is leaving it pressurized not good for the tank or fittings?
I've always left mine pressurized and still have no problems after
25+ years. The rubber hoses are no worse for the constant pressure
either.
Art

Old June 23rd 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 06/23/2010 02:53 PM, cc wrote:
b) any suggestions on how to bleed out a 27 gallon compressor easily
when not using? I jsut leave it pressurized all the time, which I know
is not good for the tank or fittings? Valve is on the bottom, of
course.

How do you "know" this? I have a 60 gallon Sanborn that's 20 years old and it NEVER gets
depressurized, and it's never caused me a single problem.

--
What percentage of the driving populace do you suppose actually
understands the rules of engagement at a four-way stop?
Old June 23rd 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2010 3:53 PM, cc wrote:
a) I know you can use glue sizing (1 part glue, 10 parts water) as a
pre-finish seal on end grain. Can this be done on outside as well,
specifically cedar end grain?

Make sure it's a waterproof glue.

b) any suggestions on how to bleed out a 27 gallon compressor easily
when not using? I jsut leave it pressurized all the time, which I know
is not good for the tank or fittings? Valve is on the bottom, of
course.

If you're concerned about condensation buildup rusing out the tank, take
a look at
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-46960.html
Old June 24th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
a) I know you can use glue sizing (1 part glue, 10 parts water) as a
pre-finish seal on end grain. Can this be done on outside as well,
specifically cedar end grain?

b) any suggestions on how to bleed out a 27 gallon compressor easily
when not using? I jsut leave it pressurized all the time, which I know
is not good for the tank or fittings? Valve is on the bottom, of
course.

Chris

b. Leaving pressure on the tank is OK, leaving condensation in the tank is
not. I mounted a galvanized pipe and elboe and ball valve on mine and I
keep the ball valve cracked open just enough to keep the water out. The
compressor runs 1~2 times a day when not in use.

Old June 24th 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

If you're concerned about condensation buildup rusing out the tank, take
a look at
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-46960.html

Yeah, I installed this on my 25 gallon cheapie compressor. It worked
for about a week, then one day the outlet got stuck, maybe something
stuck in it. I was futzing with it when it just crumbled. You get what
you pay for at HF.

I just wired up the tank with a 4' hose coming from the bottom with a
standard air gun on the end and I just air it it out whenever I am
over on that area of the shop. In the summer here in california I
never see any mist but get a good spray during cold weather.
Old June 24th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking

If you're concerned about condensation buildup rusing out the tank, take
a look at
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-46960.html

Yeah, I installed this on my 25 gallon cheapie compressor. It worked
for about a week, then one day the outlet got stuck, maybe something
stuck in it. I was futzing with it when it just crumbled. You get what
you pay for at HF.

You should put your review of their turd on their site.

I just wired up the tank with a 4' hose coming from the bottom with a
standard air gun on the end and I just air it it out whenever I am
over on that area of the shop. In the summer here in california I
never see any mist but get a good spray during cold weather.

That's a good idea. Do you get any air leakage with this rig that causes the compressor to
cycle periodically? If so, how often?

--
Free bad advice available here.
Old June 24th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

I just wired up the tank with a 4' hose coming from the bottom with a
standard air gun on the end and I just air it it out whenever I am
over on that area of the shop. In the summer here in california I
never see any mist but get a good spray during cold weather.

That's a good idea. Do you get any air leakage with this rig that causes
the compressor to cycle periodically? If so, how often?

This is a cool idea but remember that the pressure if "FULL", keep some kind
of valve on it if you don't want a lot of air and water to come out at one
time.

Old June 24th 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/24/2010 7:16 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

That's a good idea. Do you get any air leakage with this rig that causes
the compressor to cycle periodically? If so, how often?

Year ago I moved the bottom drain plug to the end of a 3' length of air
hose on my small vertical, where it is much more accessible.

The air hose holds quite a bit of water that would otherwise be in the
tank, and, unlike the tank, is rustproof ... and gravity does the work.

It is a simple matter to open the cock slightly every other day or so
and let the water in the hose squirt out, and draining the tank this way
doesn't even cause the compressor to cycle on.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old June 24th 10, 06:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
Year ago I moved the bottom drain plug to the end of a 3' length of air
hose...

That's actually kinda' kewt...

Graphic support for different grains [email protected] Woodworking 2 June 25th 07 06:19 PM
How do I bleed my radiators? Joe Home Repair 7 November 28th 06 03:01 AM
How do I bleed radiators? mr j UK diy 18 January 30th 06 11:19 AM
Paint bleed-through? ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 August 11th 05 10:14 PM
Grains - 32,000 grains - 25 grains [email protected] Home Ownership 1 May 18th 05 10:35 PM