DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Triton dowel machine. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/304710-triton-dowel-machine.html)

Robatoy[_2_] June 12th 10 03:02 PM

Triton dowel machine.

Opinions, please.
NOT a Domino, but look at the price!
Credible manufacturer to boot.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...TITEM=TC500DWL

Leon[_6_] June 12th 10 04:31 PM

Triton dowel machine.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Opinions, please.
NOT a Domino, but look at the price!
Credible manufacturer to boot.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...TITEM=TC500DWL

Does not show up at tritontools.com BUT I wonder how far apart the drill
are.. May not be suitable for face frames or rail and stile cabinet doors.

Paul T.[_2_] June 12th 10 06:45 PM

Triton dowel machine.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:31:53 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Opinions, please.
NOT a Domino, but look at the price!
Credible manufacturer to boot.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...TITEM=TC500DWL

Does not show up at tritontools.com BUT I wonder how far apart the
drill are.. May not be suitable for face frames or rail and stile
cabinet doors.

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Upscale June 12th 10 07:02 PM

Triton dowel machine.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:45:59 GMT, "Paul T."
wrote:

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Basically, it's about 1.25 inches which could be considered suitable
for the average rail and stile face frame of 2 inches?

-MIKE- June 12th 10 07:05 PM

Triton dowel machine.

wrote:

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Basically, it's about 1.25 inches which could be considered suitable
for the average rail and stile face frame of2 inches?

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Upscale June 12th 10 07:11 PM

Triton dowel machine.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:05:30 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment
was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a
simple jig.

I've always just marked shelf pin holes with a ruler and pencil and
then gone at them with a forstner bit and a piece of tap to indicate
depth. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a manufactured jig of some sort.
Admittedly, I've been fortunate not to blast through some project
coming out the finished side.

FrozenNorth[_4_] June 12th 10 07:20 PM

Triton dowel machine.

wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment
was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a
simple jig.

I've always just marked shelf pin holes with a ruler and pencil and
then gone at them with a forstner bit and a piece of tap to indicate
depth. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a manufactured jig of some sort.
Admittedly, I've been fortunate not to blast through some project
coming out the finished side.

I've drilled for European style hinges with just a hand held cordless
drill, the key is measuring twice, never failed me yet.

The best was a double door closet, three holes each, the doors are about
7 1/2 feet tall, working just fine after about 8 years. Lots of
compliments on them.

--
Froz...

-MIKE- June 12th 10 08:26 PM

Triton dowel machine.

On 6/12/10 1:11 PM, Upscale wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment
was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a
simple jig.

I think they had multi-tasking in mind. If you're going to make a double
doweling machine, my not make the spacing a "standard" used in other
operations.

I don't think anyone buys it for shelf pins, but when it's sitting on
the shelf (pun) and you need to drill pin holes, go ahead and grab it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_6_] June 12th 10 10:49 PM

Triton dowel machine.

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Opinions, please.
NOT a Domino, but look at the price!
Credible manufacturer to boot.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...TITEM=TC500DWL

Does not show up at tritontools.com BUT I wonder how far apart the
drill are.. May not be suitable for face frames or rail and stile
cabinet doors.

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Yeah, that would be a bit too wide for face frames. 32mm OC is about 1.25"
OC and then add at least .25" for the radius of the two dowels and if not
perfectly centered on a 1.5" wide face frame you would have a blow out on
one side or the other. I'd say a minimum of 2" for the face frames.

Leon[_6_] June 12th 10 10:52 PM

Triton dowel machine.

wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment
was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a
simple jig.

I've always just marked shelf pin holes with a ruler and pencil and
then gone at them with a forstner bit and a piece of tap to indicate
depth. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a manufactured jig of some sort.
Admittedly, I've been fortunate not to blast through some project
coming out the finished side.

I have been using this jig and bit assy. since before 1998. Pick one up
while you are getting your Domino. ;~)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lf%20pin%20jig

Leon[_6_] June 12th 10 11:00 PM

Triton dowel machine.

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Opinions, please.
NOT a Domino, but look at the price!
Credible manufacturer to boot.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...TITEM=TC500DWL

Does not show up at tritontools.com BUT I wonder how far apart the
drill are.. May not be suitable for face frames or rail and stile
cabinet doors.

Web site that I found lists the drills has being 32mm between centers.

Yeah, that would be a bit too wide for face frames. 32mm OC is about
1.25" OC and then add at least .25" for the radius of the two dowels and
if not perfectly centered on a 1.5" wide face frame you would have a blow
out on one side or the other. I'd say a minimum of 2" for the face
frames.

AAMOF the face frames in my kitchen are 1.75", it would not have worked on
them.

Robatoy[_2_] June 12th 10 11:16 PM

Triton dowel machine.

wrote:

Probably comes with a jig attachment for shelf pins, too.

That might be a handy tool if some sort of incremental jig attachment
was formulated for shelf pins, except for the cost of the tool over a
simple jig.

I've always just marked shelf pin holes with a ruler and pencil and
then gone at them with a forstner bit and a piece of tap to indicate
depth. Guess I'm too cheap to buy a manufactured jig of some sort.
Admittedly, I've been fortunate not to blast through some project
coming out the finished side.

I have been using this jig and bit assy. since before 1998. *Pick one up
while you are getting your Domino. *;~)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lf%20pin%20jig....

Naa, I'll do it the old-fashioned way:
http://www.cabinetpartspro.com/features.htm

Upscale June 13th 10 12:34 AM

Triton dowel machine.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:52:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
I have been using this jig and bit assy. since before 1998. Pick one up
while you are getting your Domino. ;~)

Actually, I mispoke when I said I've not bought a jig. I bought a few
of these some time ago, but usually can't find them when I'm ready to
drill holes for my shelving inserts.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,180,42311