Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sealing edge of particle board - Update

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 13:07:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:48:03 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 9/7/2016 2:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 4:20:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 11:38:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 1:19:50 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle boards and paint the stairs.

I have read everyone's ideas for filling and smoothing a surface. This surface will need to be durable enough to withstand continual foot scraping and weight changes as we run up and down stairs. And the treated surfaces must be sandable.

Which filler would you gentlemen recommend? Any recommended type of paint for such stairs?

I would fill them with these. :-)

http://www.lowes.com/pd/RetroTread-11-5-in-x-42-in-Raw-Unfinished-Red-Oak-Stair-Tread/3191553

Aren't those going to throw off the rise of the top step? Assuming the steps
are all evenly spaced now, isn't the rise from the top step onto the
landing/hallway going to be .625" less than rise of the rest of the steps?

A minor problem going up, but it could be a safety issue coming down.

As my grandfather used to say when explaining the proper way to build steps:
"The feet remember."
The steps are already non-standard because the carpet has been
removed. Carpet and underpadding is very close to the thickness of the
"treads"

Maybe I missed it, but where does it say that the carpet has been removed?

My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to
ditch the carpet,

Sounds to me like a future plan, not a completed task.

They *have* something that they'd *like to* change.

Unless Clare has had other communications with the OP, I'm curious how
he can claim:

"The steps are already non-standard because the carpet has been removed."

OK - to be 100% accurate for all you use-net nazis -

The bare partical board steps will already be non-standard because the
originall design included the thickness of the carpet in the
calculations IF it was initially code compliant.

the applicable code:

R311.7.4.1 Riser height. The maximum riser height shall be 73/4 inches
(196 mm). The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges
of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of
stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).

The top step could have been 3/8" taller than the bottom step and
still have been within code - and adding 3/4 inch stair tread caps
(much thicker than we have been talking about) woud STILL be within
code, with the bottom step now being 3/8" higher than the top one.

IF, by the very odd chance, the steps were perfectly spaceda 3/8"
tread cap would still be within code.

I still think someone is being extremely pedantic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 8:19:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:

On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

You didn't read the initial post? It's quoted right at the top of
your reply - but I will repeat it for you. Quoted from the OP:

"My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd
like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle
boards and paint the stairs."

Maybe I missed it again. Please point out where it says the carpet has
already been removed.

Remove the carpet and the step hight is no longer "to code" if it
was before. Replacing the carpet with a stair tread cap brings it back
to spec.

You guys have WAY too much spare time if you have to argue such arcane
points - without reading what you are complaining about even - - - -

I read exactly what it says and didn't assume anything that wasn't written.
They *have* (present tense) carpeted stairs, they would *like to* (a desire
to do something sometime in the future) remove it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

And I still think you were incorrect when you said the carpet was removed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

I think you might be being a bit AR here. We all know that the carpet
is or was there. But after removal she wants to know how to deal with
the PB steps. And for that matter, if they don't remove the carpet to
some degree it would be hard to determine that particle board is under
the carpet. A N D that seems to no longer be a mystery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

And you were incorrect in ASS U ME ing there was a problem with the
step heights.

In order to install the tread caps in question, the carpet has to come
off. In order to fill and paint the partical board, the carpet has to
come off.

You are being pedantic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/16 2:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but Clare likes it when I'm AR. You can tell by how excited he gets. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/7/2016 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Yeah, but Clare likes it when I'm AR. You can tell by how excited he gets. ;-)

LMAO ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Did you make your wife sign a "Roommate agreement"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 7:53:18 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

32 years ago we agreed to a number of things. We're still happily agreeing to them.

Knock knock knock, Penny. Knock, knock, knock, Penny. Knock, knock, knock, Penny.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

If you have to ask that question then you probably didn't get the reference to the Roommate
Agreement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDeZIMoEUw

Diabolical particle board Existential Angst Woodworking 10 December 3rd 09 04:56 PM
Tiling on particle board Gib Bogle UK diy 9 April 27th 09 12:49 AM
Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 01:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 02:01 AM
Sealing End Grain PlywoodHigh Density Particle board butch burton Woodworking 2 March 2nd 06 04:15 PM