Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Random Question but Business Related...

Anyone out there using Twitter to update their customers, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2010 3:14 PM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Anyone out there using Twitter to update their customers, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

I'm normally on top of net technology and ready to embrace it, but in
the case of twitter I just can't see how it would fit in my business and
no one has been able to convince me otherwise.

Most of my clients, sales reps, sub's, etc. use Blackberries and either
e-mail, texting, and blackberry messenger are targeted, to the point,
instant communications.

Maybe I'm finally turning into a Luddite in my old age ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

I'm normally on top of net technology and ready to embrace it, but in
the case of twitter I just can't see how it would fit in my business and
no one has been able to convince me otherwise.

Ditto

Most of my clients, sales reps, sub's, etc. use Blackberries and either
e-mail, texting, and blackberry messenger are targeted, to the point,
instant communications.

Ditto

Maybe I'm finally turning into a Luddite in my old age ...

Nope. You use what works. So do I. We are business owners/operators.
Not high-school kids.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:14:45 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Anyone out there using Twitter to update their customers, etc?

I haven't done twitter, but did set up a facebook business page.
Can't say that it's been worth it so far, and facebook doesn't notify
you when someone posts on it which is just terrible. Unless you go
through and look at everything you've ever posted every day you have
no idea if someone asked a question about something you posted months
ago.

Here's my page: http://www.facebook.com/krtwood

I've been doing a sort of photo blog of the latest project.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone out there using Twitter to update their customers, etc?

I haven't done twitter, but did set up a facebook business page.
Can't say that it's been worth it so far, and facebook doesn't notify
you when someone posts on it which is just terrible. Unless you go
through and look at everything you've ever posted every day you have
no idea if someone asked a question about something you posted months
ago.

Here's my page: http://www.facebook.com/krtwood

I've been doing a sort of photo blog of the latest project.

Looking good! I think that's a good idea, and even though it may be
slow, the price is right.

I'm of the opinion that FB, at least for the time being, is not a bad
place for a woodworker wanting to throw a line out for a bit of side
business to consider putting up a business related page, as you have done.

IME, most woodworking jobs traditionally come for word of mouth, and
what better place than a _network_ of friends, their friends, and folks
with whom you've done business ... and every bit of exposure helps.

That said, FB is arguably a company looking to parlay _your_ information
into their profit, so any personal aspects of a page should be flying a
red flag of warning, IMO.

Actually, I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself, but only
got far enough to set a group page, which she is just getting off the
ground, for SWMBO's 20 year old non-profit:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2167705&ref=ts

I've had a personal FB page for a few years, but, with the privacy
aspect locked down about as tight as FB allows, it would not be at all
satisfactory for anything business related.

Although it does have some woodworking links, almost all of my long time
FB friends, with the exception of four wRec'ers, are musicians I've
played with, and people I worked with in the recording studio over the
years ... and that's proven to be a great way for musicians to network
with each other, and fans, _for profit_, so the same should hold for
woodworkers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone out there using Twitter to update their customers, etc?

I haven't done twitter, but did set up a facebook business page.
Can't say that it's been worth it so far, and facebook doesn't notify
you when someone posts on it which is just terrible. Unless you go
through and look at everything you've ever posted every day you have
no idea if someone asked a question about something you posted months
ago.

Here's my page: http://www.facebook.com/krtwood

I've been doing a sort of photo blog of the latest project.

-Kevin

Kevin if you go into your account settings there
should be a setting for notifications.
Under that section you can turn on emailing you
when someone posts, etc.

--
All the Best
Dale Miller

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Ubuntu User #26423

(cut the spam to reply)

VOTE TO REBUILD!
www.twintowersalliance.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 02:22:49 -0500, Dale Miller
wrote:

Kevin wrote:
I haven't done twitter, but did set up a facebook business page.
Can't say that it's been worth it so far, and facebook doesn't notify
you when someone posts on it which is just terrible. Unless you go
through and look at everything you've ever posted every day you have
no idea if someone asked a question about something you posted months
ago.

Kevin if you go into your account settings there
should be a setting for notifications.
Under that section you can turn on emailing you
when someone posts, etc.

Only on personal accounts, the business pages are a whole nuther
animal. You can get around it by "liking" everything you post on the
business page with your personal account, but then you look like a
shmuck.

-Kevin