Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight safety instructions

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm getting
ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions".
(WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to equipment. Read
all instructions before using this product!

1. Avoid working alone. If an accident happens, an assistant can bring help.
[...]
4. Keep children away. Children must never be allowed in the cooking area. Do
not let them handle Hamburger Press.
5. Store idle equipment. When not in use, Hamburger Press must be stored in a
dry location to inhibit rust. Always lock up Hamburger Press and keep out of
reach of children.
[...]
7. Maintain Press with care. Inspect Hamburger Press periodically and, if
damaged, have it repaired by an authorized technician.
8. Use the right Press for the job. Do not attempt to force a small Hamburger
Press or attachment to do the work of a larger industrial Hamburger Press.
There are certain applications for which this Hamburger Press was designed. Do
not modify this Hamburger Press and do not use the Hamburger Press for a
purpose for which it was not intended.
9. Stay alert. Watch what you are doing, use common sense. Do not operate
Hamburger Press when you are tired.
[...]
11. Do not operate Hamburger Press if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Read warning labels on prescriptions to determine if your judgment or reflexes
are impaired while taking drugs. If there is any doubt, do not operate
Hamburger Press.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

That's one more dangerous machine you have there, maybe sawstop can design
some brakes for it. Now might be a good time to upgrade your general
liability and your homeowners insurance.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:58:43 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm
getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating
Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to
equipment. Read all instructions before using this product!

1. Avoid working alone. If an accident happens, an assistant can bring
help. [...]

[snip items 4, 5, 7, 8, 9]
11. Do not operate Hamburger Press if under the influence of alcohol or
drugs. Read warning labels on prescriptions to determine if your
judgment or reflexes are impaired while taking drugs. If there is any
doubt, do not operate Hamburger Press.

Do you have an SKU # for it? The only HF hamburger press that shows
up in a search for "hamburger" is SKU 96196. It and its manual are at
http://www.harborfreight.com/dishwasher-safe-hamburger-press-96196.html
and http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96196.pdf and
don't show the over-the-top warnings from your message, and the
instructions shown seem mostly reasonable and relevant, to wit:

HAMBURGER PRESS
WARNING
To prevent health hazards:
1. Clean thoroughly. Always clean before and after each
use. Wash in dishwasher (top rack only) using hot water
and antibacterial soap.
2. After cleaning, dry all components with a clean rag.
Store in a dry location.
3. Always follow cleaning procedures after each use.
Failure to do so may result in serious injury due to food
poisoning.
4. Do not use if cracked or damaged.
5. Use for ground beef only. Do not use for other foods
or any beverages.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Weigh out approximately 1/4 to 1/3 lb. of ground meat.
2. Remove the base from the bottom of the Hamburger Press
and hold the Press handle down.
3. Spoon the ground beef into the open cup, being careful
not to overfill cup.
4. Slide base lid back into place.
5. Set the Press down with the handle now up.
6. Press down once on the handle.
7. Remove the base lid. A round hamburger patty is now
formed in the cup and ready for cooking.
Note: The meat may stick to the Hamburger Press, depending
on the fat content in the meat. Spray the lid and cup with a
light coat of vegetable oil before pressing
When not in use, store in dry location out of reach of children.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Well, it does have moving parts. The classic for me was the day I saw a
hammer hanging on the wall in my dad's old hardware store with a 13 page
instruction manual.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:

Do you have an SKU # for it? The only HF hamburger press that shows
up in a search for "hamburger" is SKU 96196. It and its manual are at
http://www.harborfreight.com/dishwasher-safe-hamburger-press-96196.html
and http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96196.pdf

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=44934&CategoryName=&SubCateg oryName=
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/44000-44999/44934.PDF

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm
getting
ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating
Instructions".
(WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should
always be
followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to equipment.
Read
all instructions before using this product!

Seems you could simply

A. Step on the hamburger.
or
B. Sit on the hamburger.

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green
substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Don't laugh, I've used some fluorescent orange marking paint that
indicated "Contents partially unknown".
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

[...]

Welcome to America in the 21st century.

Cover you ass in all possible ways or the plaintiffs attorneys will get
you!

CP
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So
I'm
getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and
Operating
Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

Snip the legalese

Go with Tupperware.

Been using them since mid '70s.

Great for freezer storage.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So
I'm
getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and
Operating
Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

Snip the legalese

Go with Tupperware.

Been using them since mid '70s.

Great for freezer storage.

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide as I
like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some Dawn when
I'm done.

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I would sue for negligence:

1) No warning about using safety glasses.
2) Are you sure that the press does not contain materials known to cause
cancer in California?

Very sloppy warning IMHO...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

..

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide
as I like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some
Dawn when I'm done.

Don't they end up tasting soapy?

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide as I
like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some Dawn when
I'm done.

Try a tortilla press.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote

snip scary document

Damn, that sound more dangerous than a radial arm saw!

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/13/2010 4:58 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm getting
ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions".
(WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to equipment. Read
all instructions before using this product!

snip

"Read this material before using this product. Failure to do so can
result in serious injury. SAVE THIS MANUAL"

....from the operating instructions that came with the 6" digital caliper
I picked up at HF yesterday.

[image of a monkey trying to cover its backside with all four hands]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...temid=44934&Ca
tegoryName=&SubCategoryName=
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/44000-44999/44934.PDF

That's the one!
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So
I'm
getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and
Operating
Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

Snip the legalese

Go with Tupperware.

Been using them since mid '70s.

Great for freezer storage.

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide as I
like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some Dawn when
I'm done.

Jon

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Too bad that they don't peel off... ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Bill wrote:

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on
them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Too bad that they don't peel off... ;-)

While; if they dont, youken eat you'res withinthe waxed paper cook't.
Sorta flossandchew ate the same timey.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon wrote:

Seems you could simply

A. Step on the hamburger.
or
B. Sit on the hamburger.

Caution - sitting on raw ground beef could result in some "interesting"
contous in your hamburgers. Go ahead - explain that to the wife...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on
them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Too bad that they don't peel off... ;-)

While; if they dont, youken eat you'res withinthe waxed paper cook't.
Sorta flossandchew ate the same timey.

And end up needing help from Roto-Rooter to go to the bathroom? No
thanks!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob F wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

.

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide
as I like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some
Dawn when I'm done.

Don't they end up tasting soapy?

I don't know, I don't eat my hands.

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide
as I like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some
Dawn when I'm done.

Try a tortilla press.

Hmmm, I might have to pay notice to the size of the next toritilla press I
see.

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 17:53:49 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So
I'm
getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and
Operating
Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

Snip the legalese

Go with Tupperware.

Been using them since mid '70s.

Great for freezer storage.

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide as I
like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some Dawn when
I'm done.

Jon

I make a ball of the required weight and roll it round then place it
between squares of waxed paper. If I am freezing the patties,I leave
the waxed paper on both sides for easy separation of the frozen
patties, if cooking immediately,I only use single paper between. the
paper aids in placing the patties on the grill. For turning I use
tongs with widely spaced fork prongs on one side and a solid spatula
on the other.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on
them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Too bad that they don't peel off... ;-)

While; if they dont, youken eat you'res withinthe waxed paper cook't.
Sorta flossandchew ate the same timey.

And end up needing help from Roto-Rooter to go to the bathroom? No
thanks!

I've never had a problem peeling waxed paper from frozen meat that has
started to thaw, perhaps you need better waxed paper.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm getting
ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions".
(WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

[snip]

Wow! I've got a newfound respect for the lowly hamburger press... I
think I'm gonna stock up. Might be good to have a few around for when
the 2nd Amendment gets repealed, or when the entitlement riots break
out. Sounds like you could put up a pretty good fight with one of
these things...

Drew

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/13/2010 10:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote

snip scary document

Damn, that sound more dangerous than a radial arm saw!

The best set of safety instructions that I have seen are the ones that
came for my John Deere lawn tractor. After pages of common sense
warnings such as don't put your hands into the revolving blades, and
moving belts, the forgot the most important warning.

The tractor has a metal box surrounding the muffler. If that is not
kept clean, the grass can catch on fire. There is not one word about
this real but not obvious danger.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

It is vastly better to freeze whole large cuts of meat, and then defrost
and grind right before you are going to cook the burgers. The longer the
meat spends in a ground state, the more oxidized it becomes, giving it a
metallic off-taste. Grinding right before cooking avoids this problem
since only the outside of the large piece of meat has been exposed to
oxidation, vastly less surface area than when it is ground.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , drew wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm getting
ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions".

(WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

[snip]

Wow! I've got a newfound respect for the lowly hamburger press... I
think I'm gonna stock up. Might be good to have a few around for when
the 2nd Amendment gets repealed, or when the entitlement riots break
out. Sounds like you could put up a pretty good fight with one of
these things...

My teenage son particularly enjoyed the part about not forcing the Hamburger
Press to "do the job of a larger, industrial Hamburger Press" and wondered
where we can buy one. Given the way a healthy, active teenage boy eats, I'm
wondering if I need to go searching ...
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Damn, no more beer while making hamburgers.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 13, 3:58*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
[...]

Same wording is in most HF manuals with "hamburger press" changed to
whatever you just bought, "nose-picker", "nail-trimmer" or "drill
press". If it's not in a manual or there's no manual, it's on a
carefully folded sheet stuck in the bubble pack behind the goodies or
stuffed in the bottom of the box. Legal ass-covering stuff and looks
like the paper is recycled TP, anyway. Otherwise, somebody would
pinch themselves in the press and sue for a billion. With the
warning, HF is pretty much off the hook. The incremental cost of a
sheet of paper is a whole lot less than the legal costs would be if
they didn't have it. Sad to say, they have to design things for Ye
Complete Moron, because they ARE out there and they'll try to use it.

Stan
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

As long as w'e're sharing "home-making tips", my mom taught me to smash
them,
by hand, between two pieces of wax-paper. Then leave the wax paper on
them
so you can stack them up ( in a bag in the freezer) and they don't stick
together.
When they start to thaw it peals right off.

Bill

It is vastly better to freeze whole large cuts of meat, and then defrost
and grind right before you are going to cook the burgers. The longer the
meat spends in a ground state, the more oxidized it becomes, giving it a
metallic off-taste.

If you keep them in the back of the freezer, they don't pick up much
"off-taste".
I've noticed that I definitely prefer beef, especially steaks, not frozen
first.
For my mom, I'm sure the convenience was a bigger factor than the
taste--just
pull out 3 more, 2 more, 5 more, etc. Ready-to-go... I'm pretty sure
making
hamburger patties was not her idea of fun and still isn't--she's got a
McDonald's
1/2 mile from home and is not afraid to use it! : )

Bill

Grinding right before cooking avoids this problem
since only the outside of the large piece of meat has been exposed to
oxidation, vastly less surface area than when it is ground.

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

What does McDonald's have to do with hamburgers, these days?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

What does McDonald's have to do with hamburgers, these days?

These days? I honestly haven't eaten one since 1979. I feel better about
some of their breakfasts and fish sandwiches.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/10 6:18 PM, Bill wrote:
"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

What does McDonald's have to do with hamburgers, these days?

These days? I honestly haven't eaten one since 1979. I feel better about
some of their breakfasts and fish sandwiches.

Reconstituted egg powder, and ground fish lips, yep you are eating good.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

What does McDonald's have to do with hamburgers, these days?

These days? I honestly haven't eaten one since 1979. I feel better about
some of their breakfasts and fish sandwiches.

I did, and either my sense of taste has died, or that wasn't a good
hamburger.

Now they push coffee, and toys, not burgers. The best burger I've
had in a LONG time was at Applebee's, on Veteran's Day.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

The best burger I've
had in a LONG time was at Applebee's, on Veteran's Day.

-----------------------
If you ever get to SoCal, check out "In-N-Out".

Been around for at least 50 years.

Understand they may also be in AZ.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

The best burger I've
had in a LONG time was at Applebee's, on Veteran's Day.

-----------------------
If you ever get to SoCal, check out "In-N-Out".

Been around for at least 50 years.

Understand they may also be in AZ.

Yep, Phoenix has several and Tucson has 2. Just like the old-time burger
places. Unfortunately they also use the no transfat (i.e., no flavor) oils
for the fries, but other than that, they are good.

Chile's also has really good burgers. McDs and Burger King? Not so much.

Lew

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:00:04 -0700, the renowned "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

The best burger I've
had in a LONG time was at Applebee's, on Veteran's Day.

-----------------------
If you ever get to SoCal, check out "In-N-Out".

Been around for at least 50 years.

Understand they may also be in AZ.

Lew

Yes and yes. Check out the secret menu-- fries "animal style" are an
experience.

AFAIUI, all their meat comes from one plant, and they won't freeze it,
so they can't get much further east than AZ.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
Safety instructions, are people just dumb or ? Q Metalworking 40 June 21st 05 05:20 AM