DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/301441-correlation-woodworkers-computer-vets.html)

Robert Haar[_2_] April 17th 10 08:45 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

On 4/17/10 12:57 PM, "Larry Blanchard" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:02:12 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I was using RIME BBSes before the WWW, but that drew me to the Internet.

Don't recall those, but I did use Fido BBSs quite a bit. On my S100 buss
CP/M boat anchor.

I ran ZP/M on mine (Z-80 CPU) with memory boards that I designed and wire
wrapped myself/ But that was my third micro computer.

And I had been using commercial computers for tne years by the time I got to
micros.

Puckdropper[_2_] April 18th 10 03:52 AM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:02:12 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I was using RIME BBSes before the WWW, but that drew me to the
Internet.

Don't recall those, but I did use Fido BBSs quite a bit. On my S100
buss CP/M boat anchor.

And yes, we used to spell it "buss" :-).

Any relationship to the Bussman company, that makes fuses and other
electrical distribution materials?

Puckdropper

Larry Jaques[_2_] April 18th 10 03:50 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

On 17 Apr 2010 15:31:30 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4bc963a5$0$15656
:

You and my grandkids..................

BTW, age is a state of mind and hopefully an indication of accumulated
knowledge.

Hey, do humans have a maximum memory limit? What happens when we get full?

Considering that the brightest among us uses only 5-10% of his brain,
methinks humanity has a ways to go yet before we start resetting ROM,
except in Lew's case. (xox)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Larry Jaques[_2_] April 18th 10 03:52 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:01:19 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:10:14 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

Wow, I had no idea I was dealing with such old people. I'm just a baby
compared to most of you.

Yes, you are :-).

Just remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Or as us old bikers prefer:

You don't quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.

Old trucker never die. They just get a new Peterbilt.

(I've been riding since the early '50s.)

They had scoots way back then? ;)

---

Larry Blanchard April 18th 10 07:11 PM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:52:59 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

And yes, we used to spell it "buss" :-).

Any relationship to the Bussman company, that makes fuses and other
electrical distribution materials?

I don't think so. IIRC, it was a takeoff on "buss bar" which also seems
to have dropped an "s" in the ensuing years.

Larry Blanchard April 18th 10 07:13 PM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:50:24 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, do humans have a maximum memory limit? What happens when we get
full?

Considering that the brightest among us uses only 5-10% of his brain,
methinks humanity has a ways to go yet before we start resetting ROM,
except in Lew's case. (xox)

I saw an article the other day that claimed that figure was untrue. Said
we use most of it, but only 10% or so at a time.

[email protected] April 18th 10 10:03 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:11:27 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:52:59 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

And yes, we used to spell it "buss" :-).

I've seen micro enthusiasts speel it wrong, too.

Any relationship to the Bussman company, that makes fuses and other
electrical distribution materials?

I don't think so. IIRC, it was a takeoff on "buss bar" which also seems
to have dropped an "s" in the ensuing years.

You certainly wouldn't want to kiss a bus bar.

Bob[_11_] April 19th 10 04:09 AM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

Thank you everone!
This whole chain takes me WAY back. I started working with computers back
in 1968, we had an IBM 1401 and a 7070. Neither had real stored program
capability. It was a huge step forward when my company finally got a
360/50....lol. I still remember "programing" unit record devices using plug
boards!!

Spent some of my time in the telecommunications field and used Usenet
(started as Bitnet actually). Didn't really find NetNews all that usefull
until Mosaic came along and gave us a decent user interface.

Joined IBM a few years later and just retired last year. Been a woodworker
for a lot of years, but my job involved a lot of travel (Computer Security)
so really didn't have the time to devote to my hobby. Well,...now that I'm
retired I have been able to devote much more time to it and I love it!

Working it the IT industry most of my output was intellectual but
wordworking is very tangeable. You can step back and get intstant
gratification from what you created. I find it VERY satisfyiing...and I'll
bet many woodworkers are computer vets.

Thanks again for the memories.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

It would be extremely rare for a non-computer oriented person to know
about USENET. A better question is, "How many computer users know about
USENET? Very few from my experience. Off the top of my head, I know of
one other out of dozens of people connected to the internet.

...and how many of them were using the Internet before the World Wide
Web?

How many (aside from Al Gore) know there is a difference?

[email protected] April 19th 10 04:43 AM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:09:54 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Thank you everone!
This whole chain takes me WAY back. I started working with computers back
in 1968, we had an IBM 1401 and a 7070. Neither had real stored program
capability. It was a huge step forward when my company finally got a
360/50....lol. I still remember "programing" unit record devices using plug
boards!!

Spent some of my time in the telecommunications field and used Usenet
(started as Bitnet actually). Didn't really find NetNews all that usefull
until Mosaic came along and gave us a decent user interface.

Joined IBM a few years later and just retired last year. Been a woodworker
for a lot of years, but my job involved a lot of travel (Computer Security)
so really didn't have the time to devote to my hobby. Well,...now that I'm
retired I have been able to devote much more time to it and I love it!

I joined IBM right out of college in '74 and retired (from IBM) at the end of
'06. I ran on my "buy-out" for a while, got the house in shape to sell, then
got bored (SWMBO wouldn't let me make any more messes) and went back to work.
I figure I have another seven years before I really retire. By then I should
have all the toys. ;-)

Working it the IT industry most of my output was intellectual but
wordworking is very tangeable. You can step back and get intstant
gratification from what you created. I find it VERY satisfyiing...and I'll
bet many woodworkers are computer vets.

I've been doing electronics design pretty much since college. Design is
intellectual and definitely has a tangible result. I find it quite similar,
in fact, to woodworking but woodworking has the advantages of no boss, no
deadlines, and no crap work. Well, there is sanding... ;-)

Maxwell Lol May 6th 10 12:21 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

Robert Haar writes:

Who remembers when Usenet was transported primarily by having one news
server place a phone call to another?

Raises hand. I first posted in 1984. ARPAnet connection required a Department
of Defense contract. Al Gore made it possible for people without
government contracts to get connected.

Maxwell Lol May 6th 10 12:26 PM

Correlation: Woodworkers and Computer Vets

(Robert Bonomi) writes:

Who remembers 'bangpath' email addressing?

Bangpaths? Phssst. Those were trivial.
I ran a mail hub that handled UUCP, BITNET, AND DECNET simultaneously.

Nothing like getting some email addressed like this and trying to
decide where it needed to go.

Maxwell Lol May 6th 10 12:33 PM

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:

Hey, do humans have a maximum memory limit? What happens when we get full?

Some have a FIFO, some have a LIFO, some have a WOM.