DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/30110-anyone-work-lowes-home-depot.html)

G.E.R.R.Y. April 5th 04 05:45 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

In article et, Mark
wrote:

The first was earning $16/hour

Even *if* he were getting 40 hours a week, that's only about $32K a
year. Even at that, the suits wouldn't get out of bed.

the second $13

Same as above, about $25K. You called these "former tradesmen who are
reasonably compensated for their knowledge of the trades"? We'll have
to agree to disagree on this one.

People need to start referring to earnings in amount/year to really get
a better basis for comparisons.

Gerry

Dave in Fairfax April 5th 04 06:59 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

John wrote:
Licensed practical nurse. Two year course. Registered nurse: I think
currently
a 4 year course, used to be 3

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

LPNs and community colleges have 2 year degrees, hospitals (if you can
find one still doing it) give 3 year degrees, colleges give 4 year
degrees unless you already have a degree, in which case the extra is 17
months to 2 years. The 4 years gets you a Bachelors of Science in
Nursing (BSN).

Dave in Fairfax (RN, BSN)
--
reply-to-is-disabled-due-to-spam
use:

Member:
America Associaton of Woodturners
www.woodturner.org
http://www.woodturner.org/community/...s/aawlocal.cfm

Capital Area Woodturners
http://capwoodturners.org

Potomac Antiqe Tools and INdustries Association
www.patinatools.org

Dave in Fairfax April 5th 04 07:05 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Charlie Self wrote:
Ouch. Watched 60 Minutes last night and that was scary enough. OK. My mother
was an RN, but she started in, IIRC, 1931, maybe 1930, with 3 years at Yonkers
General Hospital as a training field. Got a granddaughter who is an LPN, 2 year
course. My mother was in NY, Kathy in VA, but both seem to have fairly
stringent licensing standards. Mom retired, many years ago now, as acting
adminstrator (would not title her "administrator" because she lacked a BS). She
was also nursing services director and a major motivator of the campaign to
build a new hospital, helping collect an awful lot of money in a few years. The
hospital board's gratitude extended so far that they didn't cancel her health
coverage over and above Medicare for the first year she was retired.

RNs take a national registry board test. It's the same everwhere with
the possible exception of California, but they have reciprocity with the
rest of the country. Dentists and PAs have to recredential when they
cross state lines. RNs just fill out a paper and pay the charge to get
state credentials.

Dave in Fairfax

Dave in Fairfax April 5th 04 07:10 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
My college sweetheart graduated the same time I did. I started out
making more money as a computer programmer than she did as a
registered nurse. But in the end, she wins, and I'm out of a job for
months and months.

Yep. when one of us loses our job, we're out of work for hours and hours.

It's really annoying to have my mailbox filled by places that want to
pay me to come work for them. %-) And the sign on bonuses are
insulting, $3-5K. Really am sorry about your being out of work
Phisherman. I was talking to Silvan about a career change to PT or
Radiology, they take 2 years and pay OK to start.

Dave in Fairfax

Nova April 5th 04 08:06 PM

JPLipe wrote:

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

John

It depends on which state is issuing the license. In New York State the minimum
score is 80%, which is one reason the NYS license is recognized throughout the
country. According to my daughter, who has taken the test twice, the NCLEX test
is computerized, zeros in on you weakest area and hammers you.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

[email protected] April 5th 04 08:15 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

mp wrote:
$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

LPN?

Licensed Pratical Nurse. They have about 2 years of formal training
compared to 4 years for an RN. RNs are in pretty high demand.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Charlie Self April 5th 04 08:41 PM

Dave in Fairfax writes:

It's really annoying to have my mailbox filled by places that want to
pay me to come work for them. %-) And the sign on bonuses are
insulting, $3-5K. Really am sorry about your being out of work
Phisherman. I was talking to Silvan about a career change to PT or
Radiology, they take 2 years and pay OK to start.

Heh. When we had our fire last year and lived in temp housing a few months, the
place next to ours had a young husband and wife, with the wife a radiology
tech, IIRC. She was high enough up the training scale to be doing contract work
through an agency. They moved every year or two according to job availability.
The guy worked at relatively low pay construction and rode off-road
motorcycles, which is what he enjoys, while the wife worked at a local hospital
at a rate that probably pushed 100K a year, but that also included that temp
housing (2 bedroom full furnished and equipped apartment, with maid service)
and some other bennies. I know for a fact that the housing goes for at least
$1400 a month (but that includes local telephone bill, utilities, heat, even
the detergent for the dishwasher and the washing machine. It's rough, though:
you have to share the washing machine and dryer with the apartment next door).

It pays OK. To start.

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Mortimer Schnerd, RN April 5th 04 08:59 PM

wrote:
mp wrote:
$13? $16? What is your location? Here in Alabama I know nurses making
less than that!

What kind of nurses? RNs and LPNs are on widely varying pay scales, and my
recent experience tells me most nurses are LPNs, not RNs.

LPN?

Licensed Pratical Nurse. They have about 2 years of formal training
compared to 4 years for an RN. RNs are in pretty high demand.

Your experience is that most nurses are LPNs? Do you live in a nursing home?

I have always worked in a hospital setting (been a RN since 1992). While our
LPNs are grandfathered, they don't seem to be hiring any more. We have two of
them on my unit. Of course, we also have about 34 others who are all RNs.

As for educational preparation, I have an associates degree in nursing (ADN).
Maybe half of my peers at work have the same. I earned it in two years. BSNs
generally spend the first two years leaning liberal arts stuff, then start with
the clinical nursing curriculum during their third year, completing it all in
their fourth year.

Irregardless of how one earns a degree in nursing, we all take the same national
exam. These days it's all computerized. There are not different scores
acceptable for different states. You either pass the NCLEX or you don't. The
days of different scores required in different states ended before I became a
nurse. My mother remembers those days though... but then again she's 80 and
remembers when Wyatt Earp died.

Once you pass, you can apply for licensure to individual states. One of the
Dakotas requires a BSN to go along with the NCLEX but as far as I know that's
the only one. Several states belong to the Nursing Compact, where a license
from one can be used in any of the others (similar to a NY driver's license
being acceptable to drive in Connecticut). Most of the states require their own
license for practice. If you move from another state then it's just a formality
to get that state's license (requiring 2-3 weeks of wating and a check).
Generally speaking, a license from any one state will qualify you for a license
in any other state.

They pay us the same no matter how we were prepared for the NCLEX. I've heard
of places that might pay 25 cents per hour more for a BSN but I've never worked
in one. Work experience (as a RN) has much more influence on what rate you're
paid. I'm making roughly double what I did when I first graduated now.

As for demand.... man, it's a seller's market these days, and the nurses are
what's selling. 3-10 thousand dollar sign-on bonuses are the rule in my neck of
the woods. We don't grow on trees any more, though the jobs sure do.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Charles Spitzer April 5th 04 09:01 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

wrote in message

What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go
*live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and
then you're off for a week or so at a time. I

try an oil rig, or the alaska pipeline. that's how they work.

G.E.R.R.Y. April 5th 04 09:24 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

In article , Charlie Self
wrote:

18 bucks an hour

That hourly rate, even *IF* it is fulltime, sounds so much more
impressive than $35K a year. As I said in another post, if everyone
discussed *dollars* *per* *year*, we could compare salaries/wages a lot
more simply especially since a lot of jobs deliberately keep workers
well under the forty limit to avoid having to provide benefits.

Gerry

Roger L April 5th 04 09:28 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

My 2 cents...

They seem to be all English speaking so the pay cannot be that bad. :)

Compare that with the Sears that is next door to our local BORG that I
visited last night and spoke to an individual in the tool department.

Me : "Could you tell me the ACTUAL HP on this drill-press"
Tool Manager: "Yes, it saiz richt there 2HP", as he points to sign reading
'2HP maximum developed"
Me: "No, not the maximum HP, but the true HP of the drill press"
Tool Manager : "ajh jyes, 10 inches"
Me: "Thanks"

I do not know why I keep going to Sears.......

I am sure the pay scale corresponds between the two as well.

Roger.

wrote in message
Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David

Charlie Self April 5th 04 10:35 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

GERRY responds:

In article , Charlie Self
wrote:

18 bucks an hour

That hourly rate, even *IF* it is fulltime, sounds so much more
impressive than $35K a year. As I said in another post, if everyone
discussed *dollars* *per* *year*, we could compare salaries/wages a lot
more simply especially since a lot of jobs deliberately keep workers
well under the forty limit to avoid having to provide benefits.

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. There's not a lot of effort
involved in converting hourly wages to annual (multiply by 2080 for a full week
every week), but, as you note, there may not be much point. I don't know how
many hours Marvin worked or works, but it wasn't full time, nor did he wish to
work full time. Setting him up as earning 35K per year would have been a lie.
It is far easier for most hourly wage jobs to provide the hourly rate than it
is to extrapolate because of the variable hours. I've got another friend who
makes about $16 an hour, but almost never drags down less than 50K a year. He
puts the time in, does the work, and makes pretty decent money. How do I
specifiy his salary? Well, I say he makes 16 bucks an hour, except when he's
making 24.

At the start of the year, neither he nor his boss has any idea of how many time
and a half hours he'll get, so specifying his earnings at 55K is not correct.
He may only make 45, but is more likely to tap 60, sometimes a touch more.

The only time a company has to keep workers under xx hours to avoid providing
benefits is when they provide benefits for those working a full week (which the
company may designate as 35, 37-1/2 or 40 hours a week). If no one is paid
benefits, there is no need to worry about hours. Admittedly, this tends to be
the case in small companies. I've seen a lot of it with small contractors and
builders. An extra buck or two an hour is supposed to make up for the lack of
benefits.

It doesn't work if you check out health care costs today, which have reached
thelevel of criminal (and not all of it is the fault of the insurance companies
by any stretch).

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº April 5th 04 10:58 PM

:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Half of the dotors out there graduated in the bottom half
of their classses.

Of course they did...it would be impossible to state otherwise, on the other
hand the other half of the doctors out there graduated in the top half of
their classes.

--
© Jon Down ®
My eBay items currently listed:

Edwin Pawlowski April 6th 04 12:32 AM

:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Half of the dotors out there graduated in the bottom half
of their classses.

Holy Crap! That many? Next thing you know you'll be telling me that they
were below average too. Damn, that is scary!
Ed

Mark April 6th 04 12:38 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

In article ,
says...
In article et, Mark
wrote:

The first was earning $16/hour

Even *if* he were getting 40 hours a week, that's only about $32K a
year. Even at that, the suits wouldn't get out of bed.

the second $13

Same as above, about $25K. You called these "former tradesmen who are
reasonably compensated for their knowledge of the trades"? We'll have
to agree to disagree on this one.

People need to start referring to earnings in amount/year to really get
a better basis for comparisons.

Bull****.

Your claim was that the employees of HD/Lowes earned minimum
wage, which is virtually Always expressed in dollars per
hour.

Now that you've been shown to have your head up your ass
and generally have no idea what you're talking about, you're
trying to nuance your claim by saying it's no longer an
issue of minimum wage, but a comparison to upper management
(which is a completely specious argument, and you Know it).

Nice try. No dice.

Be a nice Liberal and crawl back into your hole.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Robert Boucher April 6th 04 12:53 AM

Charles Spitzer wrote:

wrote in message

What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go
*live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and
then you're off for a week or so at a time. I

try an oil rig, or the alaska pipeline. that's how they work.

My son, a petroleum engineer, worked 12 hours a day for 29 straight days
while on an oil rig in the gulf. At the end, I think he would have been
happy to work for Lowe's g

Allen Epps April 6th 04 01:02 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

In article , Robert Boucher
wrote:

Charles Spitzer wrote:

wrote in message

What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go
*live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and
then you're off for a week or so at a time. I

try an oil rig, or the alaska pipeline. that's how they work.

My son, a petroleum engineer, worked 12 hours a day for 29 straight days
while on an oil rig in the gulf. At the end, I think he would have been
happy to work for Lowe's g

I spent 117 days straight in the Indian Ocean aboard an aircraft
carrier but STILL don't want to work for Lowes! :)
Allen

Brian Henderson April 6th 04 08:05 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

On 03 Apr 2004 23:11:44 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Now, Walmart does pay that kind of low end bucks. Do we complain about the help
there?

I always thought it was funny that for all the people who complain
about how little Walmart pays, Walmart always has a long line of
people who are dying to work there.

Walmart doesn't pretend to pay big bucks. Why pretend that they do?

Charlie Self April 6th 04 11:25 AM

Brian Henderson writes:

Now, Walmart does pay that kind of low end bucks. Do we complain about the

help
there?

I always thought it was funny that for all the people who complain
about how little Walmart pays, Walmart always has a long line of
people who are dying to work there.

Walmart doesn't pretend to pay big bucks. Why pretend that they do?

Huh? I see no pretense anywhere about Walmart paying big bucks. Unless things
have changed, the Bedford, VA store, where some people I know work, start
everyone at $5.30 an hour. I think that's just to be able to say they're paying
above minimum wage. I don't know if that's chain policy, but it seems likely.

That long line of people is essential, as the turnover is enormous. But I've
heard it's a pretty good place for retirees who need a few extra bucks to work.
It gets them out and involved and brings in some money to supplement SS.

G.E.R.R.Y. April 6th 04 03:53 PM

wrote:

not all of it is the fault of the insurance companies by any stretch

Up here, the auto insurers continue to cry the blues and raise rates by
leaps and bounds. A few weeks ago however, the newspapers announced
that the insurance companies' profits were up over *800%* /in/ /one/
/year/. They are among the biggest, most obscene bandits in our
economy.

Gerry

G.E.R.R.Y. April 6th 04 04:04 PM

wrote:

Bull****.

Now that you've been shown to have your head up your ass
and generally have no idea what you're talking about

Be a nice Liberal and crawl back into your hole.

In place of a reasoned, thought-out response, you spew out NOTHING but
insults and you say that I have no idea. You obviously have *no*
*ideas* at all to share.

I guess this NG had to have a ****ant like you who basks in the
anonymity and invulnerability that USENET provides for mental midgets.

BTW, I think there's a village looking for you.

Gerry

mttt April 6th 04 05:38 PM

"JPLipe" wrote in message

Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two years

in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's nursing
license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

What's that old Joke? What do you call the guy who graduated *last* in his
medical school class?

Doctor...

Mortimer Schnerd, RN April 6th 04 05:39 PM

mttt wrote:
What's that old Joke? What do you call the guy who graduated *last* in his
medical school class?

Doctor...

Or last in his class at Annapolis?

"Sir".

Doug Miller April 6th 04 06:38 PM

In article , "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
mttt wrote:
What's that old Joke? What do you call the guy who graduated *last* in his
medical school class?

Doctor...

Or last in his class at Annapolis?

"Sir".

Or last in his class at West Point?

"General Custer".

And that's a fact.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

CW April 6th 04 09:16 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

So? All that means is that 50% of the test is made up of questions that they
don't expect you to be able to answer. What's 50% of a bunch?

Secret Squirrel April 6th 04 09:32 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

"CW" wrote in
:

So? All that means is that 50% of the test is made up of questions
that they don't expect you to be able to answer. What's 50% of a
bunch? "JPLipe" wrote in message
Not necessarily. SWMBO is a surgical nurse, and got her RN with two
years

in
college. The frightening thing she told me is that to get one's
nursing license, one only has to score 50 % on the licensing exam.

John

It's also not accurate. The nursing board exam is and has been for the
last several years adaptive. The exact number of questions asked and the
number required as well as their relative difficulty varies for each test
taker. The test "adapts to your individual responses in an effort to
judge competancy. The actual minimum scores are not published.

Charlie Self April 6th 04 09:43 PM

Gerry writes:

Up here, the auto insurers continue to cry the blues and raise rates by
leaps and bounds. A few weeks ago however, the newspapers announced
that the insurance companies' profits were up over *800%* /in/ /one/
/year/. They are among the biggest, most obscene bandits in our
economy.

Not just there. 60 Minutes, I think, looked over some malpractice insurance
costs. Seems the companies are making plenty of money, not losing as they say,
but are raising rates at a tremendous pace...reason: they screwed up with their
investments, which lost as massive percentage in the past few years, so now
they're gobbling it all back at once. You can bet your ever-lovin' that they
won't lower rates at the end.

But it still isn't all the insurance companies fault. First, government lets
them get away with thieving, and so do we when we don't storm our legislators'
offices and demand reform. Next up, tort lawyers go for the wallet every time,
even in cases where a deep into the change purse is more sensible. Juries too
often go along.

Systemic, instead of being the fault of one type of company or person.

JPLipe April 6th 04 10:24 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

It's also not accurate. The nursing board exam is and has been for the
last several years adaptive.

Well, it was accurate when SWMBO was licensed. Granted, that's been a while,
and I'm not surprised that things have changed in the meantime.

John

Mark April 7th 04 12:40 AM

wrote:

Bull****.

Now that you've been shown to have your head up your ass
and generally have no idea what you're talking about

Be a nice Liberal and crawl back into your hole.

In place of a reasoned, thought-out response,

Your evasion of a comment on the facts by selective editing
is a hallmark of a true Liberal.

Charlie Self April 7th 04 02:14 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Mark responds:

In article et, Mark
wrote:

Bull****.

Now that you've been shown to have your head up your ass
and generally have no idea what you're talking about

Be a nice Liberal and crawl back into your hole.

In place of a reasoned, thought-out response,

Your evasion of a comment on the facts by selective editing
is a hallmark of a true Liberal.

And your style of reasoning is one reason I dislike spending time around
Conservatives.

Brian Henderson April 7th 04 10:00 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

On 06 Apr 2004 10:25:07 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Huh? I see no pretense anywhere about Walmart paying big bucks. Unless things
have changed, the Bedford, VA store, where some people I know work, start
everyone at $5.30 an hour. I think that's just to be able to say they're paying
above minimum wage. I don't know if that's chain policy, but it seems likely.

A couple weeks ago there was some guy on the radio who wanted Walmart
sued because they weren't paying a family wage to their employees.
The radio hosts kept asking him "since when did Walmart ever claim
they were going to pay a family wage?"

I have no idea what the local pay is like, but a lot of the people I
see in the local Walmart have been there for years, at least as long
as I've been going into the store (coming up on 5 years now). That's
not just retirees, it's cashiers and the like.

Charlie Self April 7th 04 10:50 AM

Brian Henderson writes:

A couple weeks ago there was some guy on the radio who wanted Walmart
sued because they weren't paying a family wage to their employees.
The radio hosts kept asking him "since when did Walmart ever claim
they were going to pay a family wage?"

Everyone is supposed to get a "family" wage from day one? Maybe after 6 years
in college.

It's a ludicrous concept, IMO.

I seem to recall an old idea, "work your way up", that may have gone by the
boards now.

As I said, from what I've seen the number of retirees working at various
Walmart stores is high (or apparent retirees. They are all people who look
older than I do). I'm sure most of them would like $10 an hour for smiling at
customers, but I doubt any of them would believe it if it was offered.

And, of course, your radio twerp didn't specify what a "family wage" might be.
I know people who need 100K a year to barely maintain their family's life style
and I know others who do pretty well on 10K, net. Depends a lot on what the
"family" expects and how large it is.

Michael Daly April 7th 04 02:57 PM

On 7-Apr-2004, otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I know people who need 100K a year to barely maintain their family's life style
and I know others who do pretty well on 10K, net. Depends a lot on what the
"family" expects and how large it is.

A recent study in Canada found that folks who earned in the $100k-$250k range
found life "tough" because of economic issues. Folks who were in the lower
wage ranges didn't see life as that bad, since they got by. Yer view depends
entirely on how far yer head is shoved up yer ass :-)

Mike

Bill Everette April 8th 04 05:18 AM

anyone work for -> OT

"p_j" wrote

You keep capitalizing Liberal. I like that. After all America was
founded by liberals using liberal principles.

Now THAT is a stretch. I'm sure the ACLU would have prospered in the 18th
century!

But I'm sure you'll provide a link from moveon.org or guardian.co.uk to
prove that.

I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is
softness of head.
Theodore Roosevelt

The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with
the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife.
Theodore Roosevelt

The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the
most brutal wrongdoer.
Theodore Roosevelt

Brian Elfert April 8th 04 06:45 PM

"G.E.R.R.Y." writes:

that the insurance companies' profits were up over *800%* /in/ /one/
/year/. They are among the biggest, most obscene bandits in our
economy.

Have you compared insurance company profits by year from 2000 to 2003?

I'll bet the total dollars of profit compared between 2000 and 2003 isn't
much different. Insurers made little profit in 2001/2002. An 800%
increase could be because they are now back to normal.

I don't like the rate of insurance increases any more than anyone else.
My insurance rate actually barely increased at my last renewal in
December.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert April 8th 04 06:51 PM

otforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Everyone is supposed to get a "family" wage from day one? Maybe after 6 years
in college.

It's a ludicrous concept, IMO.

I seem to recall an old idea, "work your way up", that may have gone by the
boards now.

I'm 32 years old now. It wasn't until I was 28 years old that I really
made enough money to support myself. I doubled my salary at age 29 so I
could easily support a family now.

There were years after college that I was only taking home $500 or $600 a
month after taxes. At age 29 I sold a business for 6 figures and got a
new higher paying job.

I lived through a lot of lean years to get where I am now with a new
house, RV, and a new car.

Brian Elfert

Michael Daly April 8th 04 07:04 PM

On 8-Apr-2004, Brian Elfert wrote:

An 800%
increase could be because they are now back to normal.

No, the profits were an all-time record. Insurance=theft
a lot of the time, IMNSHO.

Mike

Brian Henderson April 8th 04 11:55 PM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

On 07 Apr 2004 09:50:37 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Everyone is supposed to get a "family" wage from day one? Maybe after 6 years
in college.

It is ludicrous. It's the same nonsense that the recent grocery
strike pointed out. These union assholes think that they're special
and deserve benefits that NO ONE ELSE GETS! These people are
basically unskilled labor but they think they deserve as much money as
people who spent 12 years in college.

Forget that.

As I said, from what I've seen the number of retirees working at various
Walmart stores is high (or apparent retirees. They are all people who look
older than I do). I'm sure most of them would like $10 an hour for smiling at
customers, but I doubt any of them would believe it if it was offered.

Where else are you going to get paid to stand at the front door and
say hi? $10 is pretty decent money for not really doing anything,
isn't it?

And, of course, your radio twerp didn't specify what a "family wage" might be.
I know people who need 100K a year to barely maintain their family's life style
and I know others who do pretty well on 10K, net. Depends a lot on what the
"family" expects and how large it is.

Oh, I'm sure he wanted $50k or so, but that's ridiculous. The people
who end up at Walmart aren't employable at $50k. Most of them are
lucky they can get hired anywhere at all. It's ridiculous to claim
that they deserve more money because they aren't making enough in an
unskilled job to buy a new BMW.

Brian Elfert April 9th 04 12:21 AM

wrote:

Everyone is supposed to get a "family" wage from day one? Maybe after 6 years
in college.

It is ludicrous. It's the same nonsense that the recent grocery
strike pointed out. These union assholes think that they're special
and deserve benefits that NO ONE ELSE GETS! These people are
basically unskilled labor but they think they deserve as much money as
people who spent 12 years in college.

The local bus drivers have been on strike for a month now.

They are upset because the government transit operator wants to raise the
employee cost for retiree health care and raise the eligibility to 25
years of service. Until 8 or 9 years ago, they only had to work 10 years
for health care. The expired contract specifies 17 years for health care.

Where is my subsidized health care? Why should transit workers get
subsidized health care when the taxpayers paying their wages don't get the
same?

Unless something changes in the next 35 years, I will never be able to
retire. My employer will be paying as much for my health care as my
wages, and I make a pretty good hourly rate.

Brian Elfert

Bay Area Dave April 9th 04 12:27 AM

anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

twerp??? you are dating yourself there, charlie-boy. :) I'm
supposed to be the big name caller around these parts.
don't try to usurp my place in the scheme of things.

do professional writers usually write in the manner that you
have sunk to? I'm just wondering. I think you are the only
one I know.

How about those "HAND" drills? Was it REALLY the editor
that mucked up the title of your article? Seems kinda
cowardly to blame him...

dave