DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   UV Epoxy & Windows (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/299198-uv-epoxy-windows.html)

Bob La Londe March 4th 10 04:50 PM

UV Epoxy & Windows

I really like the look of epoxy on oak. Yeah, it's a matter of taste I am
sure. I really like it in moist environments since epoxy is so water
resistant. Somebody once told me that ordinary window glass blocks most UV.
Is it enough to keep epoxy from degrading in a well lit hallway if it were
used to coat a bunch of book shelves set up between, above, and below the
windows? The hallway is lit by double pane windows except for the door at
the south end that only has a single pane window.

chaniarts March 4th 10 06:52 PM

UV Epoxy & Windows

Bob La Londe wrote:
I really like the look of epoxy on oak. Yeah, it's a matter of taste
I am sure. I really like it in moist environments since epoxy is so
water resistant. Somebody once told me that ordinary window glass
blocks most UV. Is it enough to keep epoxy from degrading in a well
lit hallway if it were used to coat a bunch of book shelves set up
between, above, and below the windows? The hallway is lit by double
pane windows except for the door at the south end that only has a
single pane window.

ordinary glass converts most uv light to infrared. however, you only have to
look at wood or fabrics inside a room where the sunlight falls to know that
it doesn't block it all.

iow, probably not for your application.