DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/299016-appropriate-screws-%2Asides%2A-plywood.html)

Thomas G. Marshall[_2_] March 2nd 10 02:25 AM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

I was wondering this.

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet. Is
there a "teethier" than normal woodscrew for the job?

A woodworker for small projects that I saw was using drywall screws
which just don't ever work well in any wood IME, but beats me about
plywood.

Robatoy[_2_] March 2nd 10 03:05 AM

On Mar 1, 9:25*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
I was wondering this.

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet. *Is
there a "teethier" than normal woodscrew for the job?

A woodworker for small projects that I saw was using drywall screws
which just don't ever work well in any wood IME, but beats me about
plywood.

Particle board screws, aka low-root, work well if you drill a pilot
hole. A drill bit slightly larger than the root of the screw works
best. If you drill too small a pilot hole, the threads will try to
push the plies apart, weakening their hold.

Thomas G. Marshall[_2_] March 2nd 10 06:16 AM

On Mar 1, 10:05*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:25*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

I was wondering this.

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet. *Is
there a "teethier" than normal woodscrew for the job?

A woodworker for small projects that I saw was using drywall screws
which just don't ever work well in any wood IME, but beats me about
plywood.

Particle board screws, aka low-root, work well if you drill a pilot
hole. A drill bit slightly larger than the root of the screw works
best. If you drill too small a pilot hole, the threads will try to
push the plies apart, weakening their hold.

Interesting idea. Given how much adhesive (epoxy?) is used in the
making of these things I'm tempted to tap out something coarse and use
a machine screw. :)

Chris Friesen March 2nd 10 06:24 AM

On 03/02/2010 12:16 AM, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Interesting idea. Given how much adhesive (epoxy?) is used in the
making of these things I'm tempted to tap out something coarse and use
a machine screw. :)

Machine screws actually work really well in tapped holes in tight
grained hardwoods like maple.

Chris

whit3rd March 2nd 10 07:13 PM

On Mar 1, 6:25*pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet.

If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.
For 3/4" ply, a 5/8" Forstner bit, some glue, and the dowel has the
right
woodgrain to hold a transverse screw.

-MIKE- March 2nd 10 07:54 PM

On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:25 pm, "Thomas G. wrote:

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet.

If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.
For 3/4" ply, a 5/8" Forstner bit, some glue, and the dowel has the
right
woodgrain to hold a transverse screw.

Threaded insert, maybe.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

whit3rd March 2nd 10 11:58 PM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On Mar 2, 11:54*am, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

-MIKE- March 3rd 10 02:03 AM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On 3/2/10 5:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Mar 2, 11:54 am, wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

Google "threaded insert" and that's what I'm talking about.

I believe what you described is called a dowel nut.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

v8z[_2_] March 3rd 10 03:16 AM

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 6:25 pm, "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

It's never ideal of course, but sooner or later for small projects I
end up needing to end-screw (side screw?) into a plywood sheet.

If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.
For 3/4" ply, a 5/8" Forstner bit, some glue, and the dowel has the
right
woodgrain to hold a transverse screw.

Your reply was worth wading through tons of chaff to read - a great idea
that I will retain for future use!
Thanks!

[email protected] March 3rd 10 01:50 PM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On Mar 2, 8:03*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/2/10 5:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 2, 11:54 am, *wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. *Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

Google "threaded insert" and that's what I'm talking about.

I believe what you described is called a dowel nut.

I've always called them "cross dowels".

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...el_cutaway.png

Robatoy[_2_] March 3rd 10 02:27 PM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On Mar 2, 9:03*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/2/10 5:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 2, 11:54 am, *wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. *Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

Google "threaded insert" and that's what I'm talking about.

I believe what you described is called a dowel nut.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I always called them IKEA's revenge nuts.

-MIKE- March 3rd 10 05:42 PM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On 3/3/10 7:50 AM, wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:03 pm, wrote:
On 3/2/10 5:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 2, 11:54 am, wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

Google "threaded insert" and that's what I'm talking about.

I believe what you described is called a dowel nut.

I've always called them "cross dowels".

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...el_cutaway.png

Tomato, tomato.

Of course, that saying doesn't work very well when read instead of
spoken. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Larry Jaques[_2_] March 4th 10 03:37 AM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:42:06 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 3/3/10 7:50 AM, wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:03 pm, wrote:
On 3/2/10 5:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 2, 11:54 am, wrote:
On 3/2/10 1:13 PM, whit3rd wrote:

[ screws into plywood edges]
If you have to, prep the plywood by boring a transverse hole, blind if
you want one side to show, and cement in a chunk of dowel.

Threaded insert, maybe.

There are metal 'cylinder nuts' that will go in a bored hole and hold
a transverse machine screw. Is that what you're thinking of?

The cylinder nut solution is sometimes used in bedframes.

Google "threaded insert" and that's what I'm talking about.

I believe what you described is called a dowel nut.

I've always called them "cross dowels".

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...el_cutaway.png

Tomato, tomato.

Of course, that saying doesn't work very well when read instead of
spoken. :-)

So you spell it "Tomato, tomahto.", silly.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till

YouRepair.com March 18th 10 12:43 AM

Appropriate screws for the *sides* of plywood (?)

Depends on the job but Drywall screws can work well for small projects.

They should not be used for structural support but used along with glue they
can provide quick assembly.

Most of all they are really inexpensive so

Use them for small things not for 2 story ladders :oP