Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workmate Mods

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

I don't have any modifications but do have Sketchup plans to build you own
Work Mate type bench. I can e-mail if you like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 4:46*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

I don't have any modifications but do have Sketchup plans to build you own
Work Mate type bench. *I can e-mail if you like.

I appreciate the offer but I am looking for mods to the Workmate since
I have several units that I would like to mod.

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 2:28*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Duck tape to keep on the the rubber leg ends.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:42:17 -0800 (PST), Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:28Â*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Duck tape to keep on the the rubber leg ends.

Luigi

Mine has a few saw kerfs in the steel bits as well as quite a few
divotts and gouges, if those count as mods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:28:00 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Didn't someone on the group modify theirs into a two piece system?

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

If you can find Pat Olguin, he has a bang-up mod that he did several years
ago. Bing search for Odeen workmutt, that should get you close.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:27:56 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

If you can find Pat Olguin, he has a bang-up mod that he did several years
ago. Bing search for Odeen workmutt, that should get you close.

I went looking for this article, but Klownhammer seems to have disappeared. Did the Cable get it?

Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:46 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

I don't have any modifications but do have Sketchup plans to build
you own Work Mate type bench. I can e-mail if you like.

I appreciate the offer but I am looking for mods to the Workmate since
I have several units that I would like to mod.

If they aren't doing what you want them to do then perhaps a description of
what you are trying to accomplish might be helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Too, there aren't many useful things you can do to mod a workmate, except
for one thing:

Make new worktops (Baltic birch, high-density MDF, or whatever you have on
hand), and lose the bench dog holes near the edges (which I call clamp
holes). I've long ago, years ago, lost count of the times I've tried to
place a Jorgensen clamp, handle down, and had the swivel pad on the screw go
right up one of those damned things.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 23:06:49 -0500, the infamous dhall987
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Didn't someone on the group modify theirs into a two piece system?

;-)

O'Deen!

Now please stop replying to the toomanytwinkiestroll.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Didn't someone on the group modify theirs into a two piece system?

;-)

O'Deen!

Now please stop replying to the toomanytwinkiestroll.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- George Bernard Shaw

Sorry...not a troll.

You might want to look under your bed though.

Considering that the Workmate is one of the most popular tools sold I
think my question is a good one.

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 6, 7:14*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:46 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

I don't have any modifications but do have Sketchup plans to build
you own Work Mate type bench. I can e-mail if you like.

I appreciate the offer but I am looking for mods to the Workmate since
I have several units that I would like to mod.

If they aren't doing what you want them to do then perhaps a description of
what you are trying to accomplish might be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

The question was prompted by I have several units that I find very
useful and I was wondering what others had done to them to make them
even more useful.

TMT
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

wrote:

I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

The first thing I did after I brought mine home from an auction was to hose
it down.
Since I did it after-market, maybe that qualifies as a mod?
I was the only bidder and I paid $5 (in retrospect, I probably could have
got it for $2).
Who would have thought that no one except me wanted it? It paid for itself
on it's first task.
Who knows, maybe it will work as a sharpening stand (until I build a
dedicated sharpening
stand or planer stand as a "practice project" for my workbench). Come on
snow...MELT!

Go Colts!!!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2010 11:18 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The question was prompted by I have several units that I find very
useful and I was wondering what others had done to them to make them
even more useful.

I have two Workmates. I used them variously as small workbenches and
sawhorses until I built a couple of sawhorses and a modest workbench
designed to meet my specific needs. I equipped the bench with a good
vise and haven't needed/used the Workmates since.

I've seen router table and benchtop circular saw setups designed for use
with Workmates, but I suspect that in at least nearly every case those
were preliminaries to free-standing, more stable solutions.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 8:13*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/6/2010 11:18 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The question was prompted by I have several units that I find very
useful and I was wondering what others had done to them to make them
even more useful.

I have two Workmates. I used them variously as small workbenches and
sawhorses until I built a couple of sawhorses and a modest workbench
designed to meet my specific needs. I equipped the bench with a good
vise and haven't needed/used the Workmates since.

I've seen router table and benchtop circular saw setups designed for use
with Workmates, but I suspect that in at least nearly every case those
were preliminaries to free-standing, more stable solutions.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I have two Workmates: a model 200 given to me new as a gift about
15-20 years ago and a model 400 I got from the trash and restored in
the last couple of years. These are among the handiest tools I own.
I added a clip-in drawer I got from B&D which holds all the dogs and
extra clamps (lateral and vertical) that I got from B&D.

I have an old Sears router and router table that is mounted on a base
that fits nicely in the 200. Puts the router at a good height. The
router has a round-over bit installed (I have another dedicated router
and large table) and I pull it out to knock the edges off of projects
when applicable.

I plan on mounting a scroll saw to a base in the same way as the
router table to use with the 200. One nice feature is that the
Workmate has two working heights so I can lower the scroll saw for the
grand kids to use.

I do find that you have to be carefull, as someone mentioned, not to
lose the rubber feet. I lost one of my small ones.

I think these units are great. I belong to a woodworkers club and it
is very handy to bring one along when we are having a workshop on
dovetails or sharping or...

One downside of the two units I have is that they are different
heights. I have my eye out for a second model 200 so I can use them
in scaffolding.

I think this is a really great topic and it would be great for others
to chime in on the different ways they have used their WM.

Bill Leonhardt
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:28*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Duck tape to keep on the the rubber leg ends.

Luigi

My Workmate's rubber leg tips are long gone, then I finally sold the
thing at the last garage sale. I used the Workmate very little after
building a real workbench, but I can understand the portability of the
Workmate is very good.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 07:13:36 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

On 2/6/2010 11:18 PM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

The question was prompted by I have several units that I find very
useful and I was wondering what others had done to them to make them
even more useful.

I have two Workmates. I used them variously as small workbenches and
sawhorses until I built a couple of sawhorses and a modest workbench
designed to meet my specific needs. I equipped the bench with a good
vise and haven't needed/used the Workmates since.

I've seen router table and benchtop circular saw setups designed for use
with Workmates, but I suspect that in at least nearly every case those
were preliminaries to free-standing, more stable solutions.

I have a model 400. It is currently holding up a window seat I am finishing. Rubber feet are still
attached and in good condition.

I don't have a workbench with a vise, so I use the Workmate as my only fixed clamping device other
than a small metal vise. It holds things that need sawed, sanded or routed. I like that I can take
it out in the driveway for really messy work like power sanding and I don't have to sweep up on
windy days.

I have a few portable tools mounted on plywood to clamp into the workmate. I can mount my grinder,
shotgun reloader, rifle/pistol reloader and used to have a crude router table that fit it, but now
use the wing of my TS for that. I have a support that fits in it to act as an outboard support for
long boards on the TS sled. I've used it a couple times to glue up boxes or picture frames, and it
holds my portable planer at a convenient height.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 4:28*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Several people have mentioned that they have lost parts...where does
one find replacement parts for Workmates?

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 5:28*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

The Workmate history is also interesting.
http://books.google.com/books?id=MNZ...e&q=&f=fals e

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 4:28 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Several people have mentioned that they have lost parts...where does
one find replacement parts for Workmates?

TMT

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bla...4167_4340.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Book (was Workmate Mods)

On 2010-02-07 16:20:06 -0500, RicodJour said:

The Workmate history is also interesting.
http://books.google.com/books?id=MNZ...0#v=onepage&q= &f=false

The rest of the book is pretty good, too. Almost a little too
informative -- deciding which features to include in the "perfect"
bench is daunting, though there are some nice measured drawings in the
appendix.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:26:48 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Feb 5, 4:28*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

Several people have mentioned that they have lost parts...where does
one find replacement parts for Workmates?

TMT

When Google starts working again, plug in "workmate parts" for a ****load of hits. A couple of the
places I spot checked had parts for many models.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 5, 2010 at 2:28:00 PM UTC-8, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would like to hear of any Workmate mods anyone has done.

Also what other woodworking groups are out there that would have
Workmate mods discussed.

Thanks

TMT

I made a rip cut table frame with insulation insert. It has dowels in the bottom that correspond with the holes in the top of the 425 bench to keep it secure.. This way you can cut on a solid surface without worrying about hitting the metal while the work peice is fully supported. my sketchup is incomplete but I'd be happy to send you pics. it's a very helpful jig. I use it all the time.

Best Workmate? No Name UK diy 7 August 26th 09 07:24 PM
Which Workmate? - follow up A.Lee UK diy 1 June 9th 07 08:59 AM
Turning Workmate into workbench boorite Woodworking 18 September 14th 06 01:44 PM
Workmate Opinions Richard Woodworking 21 July 21st 05 03:06 PM
Workbench / Workmate SB Woodworking 12 November 15th 04 05:38 PM