DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Love (not) Google (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/296889-love-not-google.html)

SonomaProducts.com January 25th 10 07:36 PM

Love (not) Google

I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

1. It only remembers me for a week or two, then I have to re-log and
redo all my settings.
2. Lately all links started jumping to some page that said
"Redirecting blah blah" then the page would show up after a few
seconds. Now all links go to an error page and every link is shown
with www.google.com appended to the beginig of the link. I guess all
valid links should start with Google. Do no harm. Uh-hu.

P.S. hard to type today with index on right hand having a sanded tip
from edge sander and index on left having brad point bit drilled into
finger print... oops.

Doug Miller January 25th 10 07:51 PM

Love (not) Google

In article , "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

Solution to all of the problems: download a free news client (there are many),
then sign up for a free account at eternal-september.org.

FrozenNorth[_4_] January 25th 10 08:54 PM

Love (not) Google

On 1/25/10 2:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

Solution to all of the problems: download a free news client (there are many),
then sign up for a free account at eternal-september.org.

Except for the aggressive sanding and drilling he did on his hands.
;-)

--
Froz...

Doug Miller January 25th 10 09:18 PM

Love (not) Google

,
wrote:
I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

Solution to all of the problems: download a free news client (there are many),
then sign up for a free account at eternal-september.org.

Except for the aggressive sanding and drilling he did on his hands.
;-)

Yeah, missed that one. Sorry.

lektric dan January 25th 10 10:31 PM

Love (not) Google

On Jan 25, 1:36*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

1. It only remembers me for a week or two, then I have to re-log and
redo all my settings.
2. Lately all links started jumping to some page that said
"Redirecting blah blah" then the page would show up after a few
seconds. Now all links go to an error page and every link is shown
withwww.google.comappended to the beginig of the link. I guess all
valid links should start with Google. Do no harm. Uh-hu.

What is your browser? Have you upgraded or made any changes
recently? Is it set to purge cookies or history after a set period of
time? Behavior(s) #1 sound like problems I've run into with Firefox.
I cured it by whitelisting the cookies for google and some other
sites. I just recently had a bunch of stuff break when I upgraded
from 3.5.whatever to 3.6. I had to either re-install or download
upgrades for the add-ons; a real pita. Problem #2 sounds familiar
too. I think it may be a setting in your browser, but without knowing
what it is, cannot confuse matters more...

P.S. hard to type today with index on right hand having a sanded tip
from edge sander and index on left having brad point bit drilled into
finger print... oops.

It's been a while since I hurt myself (and saying that just started a
curse...). I can remember usung my belt sander on a small, thin piece
of wood using a coarse belt. The belt grabbed the piece of wood and
spit it across the shop. Before I could pull back, I had pressed my
hand into the belt: it grabbed three of my fingers and spun the skin
around the bone, sanding them on two sides. Hard to explain how you
managed to sand *between* your fingers!

Roy January 25th 10 10:40 PM

Love (not) Google

wrote:
I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

Solution to all of the problems: download a free news client (there are many),
then sign up for a free account at eternal-september.org.

Except for the aggressive sanding and drilling he did on his hands.
;-)

Yeah, missed that one. Sorry.

Perhaps we could suggest he abandon the overly aggressive tailed tools and take up the hand plane
and scraper along with the brace and bow drill?

SonomaProducts.com January 25th 10 11:19 PM

Love (not) Google

Yes, the edge sander always reminds me it can be aggressive when I
haven't used it in a while and yes, in both cases I was working on
some tiny parts and didn't have much of a good strategy for keeping
safe. Another reminder to be ever vigilant in regards to safety. Both
were predictable.

WW[_2_] January 26th 10 04:09 PM

Love (not) Google

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

My right index finger is 1/8 th inch shorter due to having it sucked into a
disk sander in high school woodshop. Too much clearance between disk and
table. Lesson learned. WW

Larry Jaques January 27th 10 04:44 AM

Love (not) Google

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:09:24 -0700, the infamous "WW"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Wow, it's real? School shop tools actually do suck, _physically_? Will
wonders never cease?

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.

Charlie Groh January 31st 10 12:52 AM

Love (not) Google

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:36:41 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I have always used the free access to groups via Google groups. I
don't know any other so if it is bad I don't realize it. It is a pain
sometimes though.

1. It only remembers me for a week or two, then I have to re-log and
redo all my settings.
2. Lately all links started jumping to some page that said
"Redirecting blah blah" then the page would show up after a few
seconds. Now all links go to an error page and every link is shown
with www.google.com appended to the beginig of the link. I guess all
valid links should start with Google. Do no harm. Uh-hu.

P.S. hard to type today with index on right hand having a sanded tip
from edge sander and index on left having brad point bit drilled into
finger print... oops.

....hehehe, and I learned all about garage door hardware yesterday when
one came down on me (me the dummy temping the main bracket up with 1
1/2" lags meaning to change 'em out for the long ones only to
forget)...lucky only half gave way!

cg