DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ornamental mill (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/296438-ornamental-mill.html)

bumhead January 19th 10 03:40 AM

ornamental mill

Been looking at an ornamental mill from Legacy woodworking.
Read an article in a magazine about them and got me interested.
Anyone know anything about them? They sure aren't cheap?

Andy Dingley January 19th 10 01:20 PM

ornamental mill

On 19 Jan, 02:40, bumhead wrote:
Been looking at an ornamental mill from Legacy woodworking.

Seems expensive. I'm interested in such a gadget (Seems like most of
my friends have already built their own, in various sizes) but I'd be
looking to pay their non-CNC price for a CNC machine.

There seems little point in one that isn't CNC.

Leon[_6_] January 19th 10 02:34 PM

ornamental mill

"bumhead" wrote in message
Been looking at an ornamental mill from Legacy woodworking.
Read an article in a magazine about them and got me interested.
Anyone know anything about them? They sure aren't cheap?

I have seen them in the past at WW shows. Apparently they were not selling
enough to justify going to the shows. I have not seen them being for a long
time.

Anyway, do you NEED the machine?
IMHO they are way complicated and you may need a refresher course each time
you pull it out to use it epecially if you will only be using it
occasionally.

They are cool but again if you don't need one how long would cool trump the
time for set up?

I am advising more on "do you really want to invest money in this thing or
not" more so than if you are getting a good machine or not.

bumhead January 22nd 10 03:04 AM

ornamental mill

Built their own in various sizes???????
Would love to see some plans and maybe try to build one.
The cost of these from Legacy woodworking is way over my budget.
I'm just an amateur and woodworking is my hobby, not my vocation.

Steve[_51_] January 23rd 10 08:05 AM

ornamental mill

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

Morris Dovey January 23rd 10 11:10 AM

ornamental mill

On 1/21/2010 8:04 PM, bumhead wrote:
Built their own in various sizes???????
Would love to see some plans and maybe try to build one.
The cost of these from Legacy woodworking is way over my budget.
I'm just an amateur and woodworking is my hobby, not my vocation.

Back before I built this CNC joinery machine I posted the final drawings
to a.b.p.w

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

The body (chassis?) of the machine is baltic birch, and the step size is
1/4800" (~0.0002"/0.005mm) - good enough to allow deciding /how/ tight
you want parts to fit together...

It can be fun (and hugely satisfying) to design and build a machine for
exactly the kind of work you like to do. :)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Andy Dingley January 23rd 10 04:58 PM

ornamental mill

On 22 Jan, 02:04, bumhead wrote:
Built their own in various sizes???????
* * * Would love to see some plans and maybe try to build one. *

Cambam is software that makes standard Gcode (machining paths) for
you, in various ways: from CAD drawings of finished objects, simple
drawings, or JPG import. You then run something like Mach3 to
interpret the G and turn it into stepper movements. The guy behind it
is a friend of a friend. He has a forum with pictures of people's
machines:

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=12.0