DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hitachi TR8 router (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/296296-hitachi-tr8-router.html)

Arthur 51[_3_] January 16th 10 09:52 AM

Hitachi TR8 router

Hi.
I have an old TR8 that gets regular use until last week.
The tr8 has a single speed (24000 rpm), 6mm collet.
It suddenly became more difficult to manually control and seems to be
unbalanced when running.

Can anyone shed any light on whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Leon[_6_] January 16th 10 03:12 PM

Hitachi TR8 router

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi.
I have an old TR8 that gets regular use until last week.
The tr8 has a single speed (24000 rpm), 6mm collet.
It suddenly became more difficult to manually control and seems to be
unbalanced when running.

Can anyone shed any light on whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Certainly the speed control is not working. A question/guess, it is not
spinning way too fast? Bearings are shot?

Probably time for a new router.

Phisherman[_2_] January 16th 10 10:59 PM

Hitachi TR8 router

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:52:24 -0000, "Arthur 51"
wrote:

Hi.
I have an old TR8 that gets regular use until last week.
The tr8 has a single speed (24000 rpm), 6mm collet.
It suddenly became more difficult to manually control and seems to be
unbalanced when running.

Can anyone shed any light on whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Have you done a complete router tune up? There's a how-to article in
Fine Woodworking, Taunton Press, not sure which issue. Have you
checked the brushes? Carefully look for damage? Check runout? When
did the router start behaving that way and what was it doing? Have the
owner's manual?

Arthur 51[_3_] January 17th 10 11:26 PM

Hitachi TR8 router

"Leon" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi.
I have an old TR8 that gets regular use until last week.
The tr8 has a single speed (24000 rpm), 6mm collet.
It suddenly became more difficult to manually control and seems to be
unbalanced when running.

Can anyone shed any light on whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Certainly the speed control is not working. A question/guess, it is not
spinning way too fast? Bearings are shot?

Probably time for a new router.

Hi.
It did appear to be running faster.

Arthur

Arthur 51[_3_] January 17th 10 11:30 PM

Hitachi TR8 router

wrote:

Hi.
I have an old TR8 that gets regular use until last week.
The tr8 has a single speed (24000 rpm), 6mm collet.
It suddenly became more difficult to manually control and seems to be
unbalanced when running.

Can anyone shed any light on whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks.

Arthur

Have you done a complete router tune up? There's a how-to article in
Fine Woodworking, Taunton Press, not sure which issue. Have you
checked the brushes? Carefully look for damage? Check runout? When
did the router start behaving that way and what was it doing? Have the
owner's manual?

It hapened for the first time 2 weeks ago and I haven't used it since.
I took it apart last year and broke 1 of the brushes (brush broke from
spring)
I didn't buy a new one and just bundled into the housing and router worked
ok
for more than 6 months.
I don't have the manual (bought it 2nd hand more than 10 years ago)

Arthur