Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair

How many of you have a chair or stool in your shop that you built or intend
to build one someday (it seems like it would be a satisfying project)?
Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about
the person who built it (sort of reminds me of tool boxes, but most readers
here
probably know more about them than I do--and chairs too, for that matter).

I'm the same poster that started a thread on hammers, levels, and squares.
I guess I am drawn towards simplicity. :-) I think I would design a
simple,
functional chair, striving to avoid a result that looked like it better
belonged
in the kitchen or dining room, but more improved than a spoke-shaved
stump...
It's sort of fun to think about.

Happy holidays,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

I really like these Bent and Bros captain's chairs. I bought
one for 40 bucks. It's worn, but it's in great shape. I'm
going to use it as a pattern. I figure after the fourth or fifth
chair, I'll start getting somewhat good at making them.

http://tinyurl.com/ybbw45a

Bent and Bros went out of business a few years back. They used
to make the university chairs. Someone else makes them now.

My wife came home with a truckload of chairs similar to that in the
summer. They were an exact match to something from her family that she'd
like me to repair. I've repaired things, but never a wood chair. It's a
winter project, and from what I've read, there's a bit of technique to
getting them back together properly, especially since they're broken. I
hear Lew's epoxy calling me.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
sam wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

Nice looking chair. It appears that many of the pieces were turned.
If you factor out the lathe, then you may end up with a chair you won't be
afraid to get saw dust on! : )

Bent and Bros went out of business a few years back. They used
to make the university chairs. Someone else makes them now.

My wife came home with a truckload of chairs similar to that in the
summer. They were an exact match to something from her family that she'd
like me to repair. I've repaired things, but never a wood chair. It's a
winter project, and from what I've read, there's a bit of technique to
getting them back together properly, especially since they're broken. I
hear Lew's epoxy calling me.

That job probably calls for some of his best clamps too!!

Bill

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects10.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about
the person who built it

I would tend to agree with that. I like building (all wood, only) a
certain "style" of rocking chair and other relaxing type seating, in
general, (patio/porch swings). I try to avoid straight line edges and
sharp corners.... Like a good, fetching woman: the mo curves, the mo
betta! There are a few samples in this group: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

I like repairing any kind of chair/seating.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
Seems like the choice of one's design might say something about
the person who built it

I would tend to agree with that. I like building (all wood, only) a
certain "style" of rocking chair and other relaxing type seating, in
general, (patio/porch swings). I try to avoid straight line edges and
sharp corners.... Like a good, fetching woman: the mo curves, the mo
betta! There are a few samples in this group:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

I like repairing any kind of chair/seating.

Sonny

You're a productive person. Nice work!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chairs, in some ways are the pinnacle of woodworking. Subtle
variations in gemetry of design can make them comfortable or not. They
require perfectly executed joinery to withstand the enormous racking
pressures they will experience when in service and the geometry of the
joinery and shaped parts can represent a real challenge.

Gustav Stickley, Sam Maloof, the Windsor chair, all legends.

A nobel venture for sure.

On Dec 22, 1:53*pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Chairs, in some ways are the pinnacle of woodworking. Subtle
variations in gemetry of design can make them comfortable or not. They
require perfectly executed joinery to withstand the enormous racking
pressures they will experience when in service and the geometry of the
joinery and shaped parts can represent a real challenge.

Gustav Stickley, Sam Maloof, the Windsor chair, all legends.

-----------------

I just looked up Gustav Stickley. I wish to share the following remark of
his (from "The Craftsman") just in case you may find it an enjoyable frame
of perspective as I did.

"There are elements of intrinsic beauty in the simplification of a house
built on the log cabin idea. First, there is the bare beauty of the logs
themselves with their long lines and firm curves. Then there is the open
charm felt of the structural features which are not hidden under plaster and
ornament, but are clearly revealed, a charm felt in Japanese
architecture....The quiet rhythmic monotone of the wall of logs fills one
with the rustic peace of a secluded nook in the woods."

Now, get back to work! : )

Bill

On Dec 22, 1:53 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:53:27 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

[...]

Although I'm stqanding 90% of the time I use a fullly-adjustable
drafting chair in my shop whenever I want to sit. The drafting chair
broke 10 years ago but I found a welder to do the job for just $10.

I have built several chairs, but none for my shop. Certainly building
a chair is a big challenge--lots of strange angles, curves, wood
steaming, and the finished project will be subject to large forces.
Also, there are plenty of chair-building tools. I have not (yet)
attempted a Windsor chair, something I always wanted to build.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 02:05:19 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

[...]

That's a nice quote, Bill. Uncle Gus was a wonderful furnituremaker,
especially while he had Harvey Ellis on his payroll. My favorite
piece was this bookcase: http://fwd4.me/9Kf Some day...

I always have fun reading issues of "The Craftsman", learning what
things meant the most to people from a century ago.

Now, get back to work! : )

Work, hell! I'm in decompression mode. My family (3 women of 3
generations) left this morning at 8am. A new record for this house
was made. An entire roll of TP disappeared in under 20 hours. It takes
me 6 to 8 weeks.

--
REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind,
the more time you'll have to catch up!

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
Chair mat Larry Spitz Woodworking 10 May 19th 07 10:52 AM
laminating a chair back rail/ bandsawing a chair back rail Toller Woodworking 8 October 13th 06 06:07 PM
I can not find a chair leg protector for this type of chair Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 8 July 7th 06 07:58 PM
What makes a chair a chair? [email protected] Woodworking 5 February 12th 06 10:26 PM