Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Rethinking "Made in China"

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote:
Hmmm,
Made U.S.A. Made in EU" Really? 100%?
Economy stands on bottom line these days.
You can't **** China, she is too big/powerful now.

You don't usually **** your banker or a big customer.

Lew

A more apt analogy for China is our national cocaine dealer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

As for European engineering in general, anybody who thinks that it's all
high quality hasn't fettled a brand new British-made Stanley shoulder
plane.

Or owned a Fiat...

Or an MG ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Jules wrote:

They'll build what they're paid to build, no more and no less.
There are talented folk there, same as anywhere else
They are excellent copy cats, but there is NOTHING like European
engineering for built-in quality, from handsaws and screwdrivers,
to spaceships.

The Europeans built a spaceship? I think Flash Gordon was an
American...

Last I heard, the Europeans were trying to put up their own GPS
satellite system - for reasons passing understanding.

Tsk, tsk ... you get into space on "rockets", Bubba ... Wernher Von
Braun

Yes, the success of the American space program was due to imports.
They imported Germany's best scientists.

So what percentage of the engineers working on Apollo were German?

Hint--go to Youtube and search on "Disney Moon" and you'll find that the
concept that Von Braun was pushing pre-Apollo was considerably different
from what actually flew (and before you make some ignorant sneering remark
about Disney, do the search and watch the episode).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:00:32 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Jules wrote:

They'll build what they're paid to build, no more and no less. There
are talented folk there, same as anywhere else
They are excellent copy cats, but there is NOTHING like European
engineering for built-in quality, from handsaws and screwdrivers, to
spaceships.

The Europeans built a spaceship? I think Flash Gordon was an American...

Last I heard, the Europeans were trying to put up their own GPS satellite
system - for reasons passing understanding.

Tsk, tsk ... you get into space on "rockets", Bubba ... Wernher Von Braun

Yes, the success of the American space program was due to imports. They
imported Germany's best scientists.

And Canada's. All the brains behind the Avro Arrow put the Yanks into
space and onto the moon.
Strategic move on the part of the Americans to pressure Dief into
canning the Arrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 1:39*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
This post is aimed at all you sinophobes out there.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing the complaint "___ is a piece of
****: what do you expect? It's made in China!".

Apparently some folks are having trouble with the concept of the
current global economy; and the history of our own manufacturing
problems.

Today, there are relatively few items truly manufactured in USA,
China, Japan, Mexico or anywhere. To slam a product just because it
is made in Taiwan or China doesn't make sense anymore especially when
you look at metal and woodworking tools sold by companies like
Grizzly. Many of the parts and castings in "old American" products
like Powermatic now come from the east. Much of the airframe and
wiring in venerable aircraft like the Beech Bonanza and King Air are
manufactured in Mexico and assembled in Kansas; avionics guts come
from the east. Most electronic components used in fine old American
TVs and audio components come from China, Japan or Korea.

On the other side, a complete lapse in U.S. quality control, during
the 1970's, allowed the Japanese to to run completely over the US auto
industry. But now look at Toyota. They are building cars, to high
standards, at several U.S. facilities. This is probably good because
the high cost of maintaining union demands has all but shut down
Detroit and other auto manufacturing centers. This is doubly tragic
because Detroit was finally starting to build some quality cars again.

The world is changing and made in ("anywhere") is a thing of the
past. We have seen a strong trend toward survival of the fittest
during the past year and those who can produce quality at a reasonable
cost will probably win (or be taken over by government).

My job is to take care of my business by buying the best I can with
what I have. If I can buy the same quality and function for 20-40%
less the decision is easy.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Yes, the success of the American space program was due to imports.
They imported Germany's best scientists.

The same is true of digital photography and fiber optics.

Both developed in the US by non US citizens.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
snip

Snip

Only poor craftsman blames the tool.

Oh crap! I have heard the me too expression way too many times now.

Really and truly a poor craftsman "does not recognize" that he is not
working with quality tools.
A fine craftsman will remedy that situation with quality work through
quality tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Jules wrote:

They'll build what they're paid to build, no more and no less. There are
talented folk there, same as anywhere else

They are excellent copy cats, but there is NOTHING like European
engineering for built-in quality, from handsaws and screwdrivers, to
spaceships.

The Europeans have yet to make a reliable car.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Jules wrote:

They'll build what they're paid to build, no more and no less. There are
talented folk there, same as anywhere else

They are excellent copy cats, but there is NOTHING like European
engineering for built-in quality, from handsaws and screwdrivers, to
spaceships.

The Europeans have yet to make a reliable car.

WHAT??? LOL ... surely you jest??

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles
known to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history, hit
the ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

Sheessh, it's sad, this total failure of the educational system and the
resultant ignorance!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Most any fool knows there are exceptions to everything ... it is the
thickheaded cavilers who continue to harp on the exceptions to show
their asses and ignorance.

Arguably, we were standing on the shoulders of giants when it came to
innovative engineering and quality, for much, if not most of "New World"
engineering impetus which resulted in the much vaunted "Made in USA"
label of the 20th century, was due to European immigration to the
America's, bringing their traditions going back to craftsman's guilds
and their pioneering of early engineering principles in Europe since
Roman times.

AAMOF, Canada, almost alone in the America's today with products like
Veritas, seems to still exhibit manifestations of these traditions;
instead of the price point engineered, MBA driven POS being produced by
Chinese proxy for the United Corporations of America.

As far as many woodworking tools today, it is a FACT that if you really
want quality, innovation, and excellence in engineering, you look first
to European manufacturers like Festool, a shining example of innovation
and quality through engineering which you will find no place else on
earth in this, the first decade of the 21st century.

It's sad, but a fact ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 7:26*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , J. Clarke

wrote:
CW wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Jules wrote:

[...]

A surprising number of the best NASA scientists and engineers came from
Canada after the Avro Arrow project was canceled by the Diefenbaker
Conservative government.

http://www.avroarrow.org/AvroArrow/Avroengineers.html

Not to discount the contribution of these aforementioned Canadian
engineers but realistically how many were enticed to come to the US
AND how many US scientists and engineers were working at NASA at the
time? (also consider the number of S & E's working for contractors as
well)

Did these Canadian engineers represent 1%? 5% 10% 25% ?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Jules wrote:

They'll build what they're paid to build, no more and no less. There
are
talented folk there, same as anywhere else
They are excellent copy cats, but there is NOTHING like European
engineering for built-in quality, from handsaws and screwdrivers, to
spaceships.

The Europeans have yet to make a reliable car.

WHAT??? LOL ... surely you jest??

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles known
to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history, hit the
ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

Well, there was the little problem with the number three cylinder ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Tony Hwang wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

You can't **** China, she is too big/powerful now.

When "she" starts making quality, innovative, well engineered tools like
Festool does I'll start buying Chinese. Until then, in a tool buying
sense, **** China, and the US also ... just in case you think there is
discrimination involved.

People who work with their hands know the difference ... keep that in
mind.

Hi,
I am not Chinese, LOL!

I thought you were a Canuck, eh?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

CW wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Jules wrote:

[...]

Didn't they all come here to Alabamastan to work on them dang rockets?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
[...]

When a country taxes and regulates business to death, what happens?
When labor unions become too big for their britches and so corrupt
that their behavior holds businesses hostage to their demands, the
business owners vote with their feet and go someplace else.

TDD

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:39:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:
I have a few tools that were made in China that I feel are very high quality..
Two jet lathes and several small power tools..
My feeling is that it's not WHERE they are made, it's the quality control of the
company that the stuff is made for..

This post is aimed at all you sinophobes out there.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing the complaint "___ is a piece of
****: what do you expect? It's made in China!".

Now it is true that a lot of crap--boatloads of it, literally--does come
from that great country. We've all seen it, used it, chucked it out.

But bear in mind the historical precedent: some of you are probably old
enough to remember the similar tarring of anything that had the label
"Made in Japan" on it. Anything Japanese was considered worthless.
Compare to today.

I'm finding more and more that "Made in China" really doesn't mean
anything about the quality of an item. Clearly, Chinese workers, as
underpaid as they may be, are quite capable of making anything as well
as anyone else in any other part of the world.

Part of the problem is that we're placing blame in the wrong place. The
*real* problem seems to be "Made in [anyplace] but designed in the U.S.
[or some other place]". A lot, if not most, of what I would call
"Chinese junk" is actually made as well as the design would allow for,
including the materials used and the amount of labor committed to
finishing the item. So in many cases Chinese factories are making
faithful copies of a ****ty design that may well have come from some
designer's computah right here in The Greatest Industrial Power on Earth
(the US of A).

I predict the Chinese are following the same arc that the Japanese did
after WWII, with variations, of course; there's no Marshall Plan, and
the countries are vastly different. Nonetheless, I can forsee the day
when "Made in China" is no longer a call for derision.

By way of showing just how wrong people can be when predicting who's
winning the industrial game, here's a hilariously and astoundingly wrong
prediction about the Japanese and American photographic industries from
1946: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-136.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles
known to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history,
hit the ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

How many did you own?

Reliability was NOT my experience with a diesel Rabbit.

Lew

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

As for European engineering in general, anybody who thinks that it's
all high quality hasn't fettled a brand new British-made Stanley
shoulder plane.

Or owned a Fiat...

I'm the original owner of my 1973 Fiat 124 Spyder. It was my only car until
recently. It has been driven down steam beds in Mexico, over mountains,
across deserts, etc. It still runs and looks great. Biggest problem I've
had with it is "mechanics" screwing up stuff; surprising since it is so
mechanically simple but they manage.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/16/2009 3:03 PM Percival P. Cassidy spake thus:

IIRC. I'm not sure that Kodak was considered a serious
photographer's camera.

Kodak did make some cameras used by serious photogs, even after the
Japanese kicked our asses in that arena, but they were mostly obscure
models used by specialists. Like their view (studio) cameras and
lenses made for aerial photography, to name a couple. Their one
top-of-the-line 35mm camera (the Ektra) was already out of production
by that time.

The Medalist was "pro" too.
___________

After that, about the best they could come up with were consumer-level
cameras, like the Instamatic, which they did sell by the millions. But
all high-quality stuff was, as you point out, either German (Leica,
Voigtlander), Swedish (Hassy), or, mostly, Japanese (lessee: Nikon,
Canon, Ricoh, Minolta, Miranda, Yashica, Olympus, Bronica, Fuji,
etc., etc.

You forgot Asahi. The Pentax was/is under rated.
____________

The single exception I can think of is the Graflex press cameras
(Crown and Speed Graphics), made here in the US and used around the
world up through the 1970s.

Thank heavens they expired

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:50:17 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

As for European engineering in general, anybody who thinks that it's
all high quality hasn't fettled a brand new British-made Stanley
shoulder plane.

Or owned a Fiat...

I'm the original owner of my 1973 Fiat 124 Spyder. It was my only car until
recently. It has been driven down steam beds in Mexico, over mountains,
across deserts, etc. It still runs and looks great. Biggest problem I've
had with it is "mechanics" screwing up stuff; surprising since it is so
mechanically simple but they manage.

Many years ago I had a Fiat 124 Spyder. I called it the Fiat 124
Lemon. I did buy it used so perhaps it was just maintained terribly,
but almost every other week something went wrong. The alternator died,
the string operating the clutch broke, the transmission developed
problems, and just endless crap.

I guess it just depends on when it got put together.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"CW" wrote:

Yes, the success of the American space program was due to imports.
They imported Germany's best scientists.

The same is true of digital photography and fiber optics.

Both developed in the US by non US citizens.

Lew

Who? Educated where?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:161220092126090752%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

A surprising number of the best NASA scientists and engineers came from
Canada after the Avro Arrow project was canceled by the Diefenbaker
Conservative government.

http://www.avroarrow.org/AvroArrow/Avroengineers.html

Considering that they were getting a better offer than staying in Canada,
the numbers may not be so suprising. What may be suprising is the number of
Canadian sientists that Canada could not hold on to.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles known
to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history, hit the
ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

I will have to disagree with you there. Kim and I bought a new 99 Jetta, it
left her stranded on the freeway 3 times under warranty the first 18 months,
and a dead battery replaced under warranty. That was the Mexico built
vehicle. Towed into the dealership and "no problem found " on the 3 rd time
we immediately traded for a German built 2000 Passat. We almost kept it 4
years. While we had it, it left Kim stranded 2 times, once was a faulty
starter relay, the second time another dead battery replaced by me. Then
there were numerous emissions problems, the need to replace both outer tie
rod ends at 30K, and the heater core at 43K. The transmission was showing
signs of failure. Traded for the 04 Accord at 47K. Both vehicles were
serviced more often than recommended by the dealer. The 99 Jetta and 2000
Passat were serviced/oil changed at 3K VW recommended every 10K. After
trading the Passat we got a factory letter rewording service intervals for
the turbo, every 3K and with synthetic oil. I saw that coming.

I bought the VW's on their past reputation.

Maybe my first VW's were a fluke but I'll probably never buy another.

Sheessh, it's sad, this total failure of the educational system and the
resultant ignorance!

Totally agree with that and I attribute the failure to poor teachers that
don't give a **** and that finally led to teachers that could not find a job
any where else. Long ago when teachers could step in as a parent and
administer discipline he or she could actually teach. We have lost teachers
that actually taught for baby sitters.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles
known to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history, hit
the ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

How many did you own?

2, too many.

Reliability was NOT my experience with a diesel Rabbit.

Same with the Jetta and the Passat, BIL was not happy with his Passat
either, trans problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Your reefer may be in the same mode.

Reefer? ;~)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
news
[...]

The "Volkswagen", the original design, is what I was talking about. Not
the price point engineered models they started making to woo and placate
the American consumer with the junk they prefer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles
known to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history,
hit the ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

How many did you own?

Two of the most reliable and economical cars I have ever owned, one late
50's model in Europe, and the other a 1960, both original design, and
probably still running today.

Reliability was NOT my experience with a diesel Rabbit.

No wonder ... it was designed to give the American consumer the price
point designed trash he prefers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Snip

I bought the VW's on their past reputation.

The "Volkswagen", the original design, is what I was talking about. Not
the price point engineered models they started making to woo and placate
the American consumer with the junk they prefer.

Exactly!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

dgk wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:50:17 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

[...]

I used to have an X1/9. Lovely little car, only repair I ever needed to
make on it other than routine maintenance was the thermostat. I'd likely
still be driving it if some asshole hadn't stolen it. Not at all like my
one Toyota, that had a single scheduled maintenance item--at 10,000 miles
replace engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Your reefer may be in the same mode.

Reefer? ;~)

Navy talk for "refrigerator".

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, dgk wrote:

Many years ago I had a Fiat 124 Spyder. I called it the Fiat 124
Lemon. I did buy it used so perhaps it was just maintained terribly,
but almost every other week something went wrong. The alternator died,
the string operating the clutch broke, the transmission developed
problems, and just endless crap.

I guess it just depends on when it got put together.

Yes, the Italians make Ferraris and $80K shotguns, etc. They also
make Fiats. You want the real survivability lowdown on Fiat. I'm
from sunny CA where cars NEVER RUST!. If it's worth a damn, it will
last forever. In the early 70s, after I got out of the service, CA
roads were lousy with Fiats 850s and 124s. It was a craze and ppl
bought them by the ship load. They were as common as VW bugs. Thirty
years later, they are rarer than an honest politician. In fact, in
the last 5 yrs I spent commuting 70 miles a day on SFBA freeways, I
was stunned to see a single running 850 Spyder, it having been so long
since seeing one, I'd actually forgotten they'd ever existed. Pre-70
Borgwards are more common. If Fiat reliability is any indication of
European quality engineering, Chrysler is screwed!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Swingman wrote:

What nonsense? ... you can't be that dense, eh? **** happens in every
country, culture, civilization - past, present, and future.

Well, duh! That was pretty much my point.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Your reefer may be in the same mode.

But, is paying $800 for a more efficient ....read energy conserving,
not colder.... gonna save you any money? Not likely before it dies
and you need to spend another $800 another new one.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
news

[...]

You folks who are going on about "Rabbits" and "Jettas" and suchlike are
missing the point.

THE Volkswagen, the Type I, aka the Beetle, aka the Porsche Type 60, was in
continuous production for over 60 years with more than 20 million built,
both the longest and largest production runs in automotive history.

Sheessh, it's sad, this total failure of the educational system and
the resultant ignorance!

Totally agree with that and I attribute the failure to poor teachers
that don't give a **** and that finally led to teachers that could
not find a job any where else. Long ago when teachers could step in
as a parent and administer discipline he or she could actually teach.
We have lost teachers that actually taught for baby sitters.

Uh, you might want to actually get drunk with a few teachers sometime before
you blame them. They have to do what they can with what they've got and
what they've got these days isn't much (and I'm not talking about the kids,
I'm talking about the rules they are required to work under). Wanna fix
education, first shoot all the professors of education and all the school
boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Didn't they all come here to Alabamastan to work on them dang rockets?

Heh heh.... and I doubt there were too many folks named Homer Hickam
defecting to the US from the Nazi rocket program.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Swingman wrote:

thickheaded cavilers who continue to harp on the exceptions to show
their asses and ignorance.

.....as opposed to baseless dogma spewed by narrow minded twits who
refuse to see beyond personal prejudices.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Swingman wrote:

Over 60 years ago one of the most reliable and efficient automobiles
known to mankind, and to this day the best selling car in history, hit
the ground running ... the "Volkswagen".

Complete and total bull****! As a mechanic who has owned more than
one VW, don't even bother with trying to convince me of VW's
reliability. A good practical design (bug) yes. Reliable? Please.
My first bug, the engine trashed itself at a mere 45mph. The brakes
locked up by themselves. I had a diesel Rabbit that almost did a
Blues Brother's disintergration right before my eyes ....and suffered
the exact same brake lock-up, I might add. I was driving a 1950 Chevy
pickup long after my VWs were consigned to the trash heap.

Sheessh, it's sad, this total failure of the educational system and the
resultant ignorance!

Not as sad as your total failure at exercising common sense.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reliability was NOT my experience with a diesel Rabbit.

They had great seat, though!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Snip

I bought the VW's on their past reputation.

The "Volkswagen", the original design, is what I was talking about. Not
the price point engineered models they started making to woo and placate
the American consumer with the junk they prefer.

Exactly!

The original VW bug was inexpensive to buy, and relatively inexpensive
to repair. That is hardly the same as being reliable.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-17, Swingman wrote:

thickheaded cavilers who continue to harp on the exceptions to show
their asses and ignorance.

....as opposed to baseless dogma spewed by narrow minded twits who
refuse to see beyond personal prejudices.

Nice self description there, nutbob ... well done!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08