DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stain for pressure treated deck? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/29277-stain-pressure-treated-deck.html)

NiteDawg March 15th 04 12:53 AM

Stain for pressure treated deck?

Just had deck built with PTL (pine)in New Jersey......confused about
what type of stain is best.....also how long to wait before
staining.....Right now I'm leaning towards a penetrating
semi-transparent stain(oil-based?) with uv protection and
mildewcide.....planning on waiting about 4 weeks....(It's been somewhat
damp around here) Can someone recommend a certain brand?....any brand I
should stay away from?...any advice appreciated...thanks

Phisherman March 15th 04 05:13 PM

Stain for pressure treated deck?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:53:33 -0500 (EST),
(NiteDawg) wrote:

Just had deck built with PTL (pine)in New Jersey......confused about
what type of stain is best.....also how long to wait before
staining.....Right now I'm leaning towards a penetrating
semi-transparent stain(oil-based?) with uv protection and
mildewcide.....planning on waiting about 4 weeks....(It's been somewhat
damp around here) Can someone recommend a certain brand?....any brand I
should stay away from?...any advice appreciated...thanks

Cabot's Decking stain comes in several colors and lasts many years.
If you see mold, mildew or algae on your neighbor's decks/houses, then
add a packet of mildewcide to the decking stain for more protection.
You want your deck to be clean and very dry before the application.
The directions say it dries in a day, but I found it was still a
little tacky--better to stay off for a few days to cure.

Pat Barber March 15th 04 08:58 PM

Stain for pressure treated deck?

The Southern Yellow Pine folks say that you should NOT
stain a new deck for a minimum of six months. Give the
wood time to dry out. I would wait a year.

http://www.southernpine.com/expert/index.pl?leafcode=30

and of course: http://www.southernpine.com/ptl.htm

Read up and be confused no more...