Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gibson guitars raided by feds

http://www.wtvynews4.com/home/headlines/70451852.html

Gibson guitars raided in federal rosewood investigation

Leading global guitar maker Gibson says it is co-operating with US federal
agents following a raid on its Nashville factory as part of an investigation
into use of endangered rainforest wood.

US Fish & Wildlife Service agents descended on Gibson's Massman Drive
factory on Tuesday under the US Lacey Act, which was recently updated to
criminalise the import of illegally felled wood, including sawn timber and
joinery products. Wood, instruments and files are thought to have been
removed by agents.

Rosewood from Madagascar is believed to be under investigation.

Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, a board member of the Rainforest Alliance,
stepped down from the group following the raid.

"Gibson Guitar makes every effort to ensure that all its wood purchases are
legal and is also working to increase the amount of wood purchased from
certified sources, including FSC-certified wood," the company said in a
statement.

"The company will continue to co-operate fully and assist our federal
government with all inquiries and information."

Rosewood is prized among guitar makers as a prime tonewood (used primarily
in back and sides of guitars) and is sourced from many countries, including
India, Brazil, Madagascar and Honduras.

Gibson is part of Greenpeace's MusicWood Coalition, along with rival guitar
makers Taylor and Martin, which seeks to increase the availability of
traditional woods used by instrument makers that can be FSC-certified.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh jeez... You had me nervous. Just shipped to Fender and didn't quite
remember the name of the "guitar company" that we sold to. I thought I jsut
saw my NET30 turn into NET-NEVER.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Oh jeez... You had me nervous. Just shipped to Fender and didn't quite
remember the name of the "guitar company" that we sold to. I thought I jsut
saw my NET30 turn into NET-NEVER.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Unfortunately for Fender and guitar lovers, it is likely that the only
way to really slow down illegal logging is the same way we are beginning
to slow down poaching of rare animals, by making all trade of certain
rare commodities. In the case of elephants, it's ivory. In the case of
the forests, it's certain rare woods.

At least for now, instead of cutting down our few remaining trees, it
might be a better course of action to recycle tonewood from existing
sources (pianos?), just as many of us reuse wood from old furniture, or
use wood mined from rivers, lakes, and bogs. Another course of action
would be to pursue research in developing man-made substitutes for
endangered natural products.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Unfortunately for Fender and guitar lovers, it is likely that the only
way to really slow down illegal logging is the same way we are beginning
to slow down poaching of rare animals, by making all trade of certain
rare commodities. *In the case of elephants, it's ivory. *In the case of
the forests, it's certain rare woods.

At least for now, instead of cutting down our few remaining trees, it
might be a better course of action to recycle tonewood from existing
sources (pianos?), just as many of us reuse wood from old furniture, or
use wood mined from rivers, lakes, and bogs. *Another course of action
would be to pursue research in developing man-made substitutes for
endangered natural products.

Maple neckfret board on my Tele. I'm safe. (Doesn't look as nice, but
sounds crisper and is faster.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

And another one bites the dust.

In other stories... Social Security actuaries arrive in Sedona.