DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What duct work do I buy for dust collection (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/290508-what-duct-work-do-i-buy-dust-collection.html)

jtpr October 28th 09 07:27 PM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim

dpb October 28th 09 07:44 PM

jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/economy-snaplock-pipe.html

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box
stores locally.

RonB[_2_] October 28th 09 08:03 PM

On Oct 28, 1:27*pm, jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. *I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Here is a great source for everything dust collection.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Note his discussion in "PVC Confusion" and several other areas. He
considers PVC a good option if you ground

racing John October 28th 09 08:05 PM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

Woodcrafters has duct work and some fittings, but if you are close to a
Woodcrafters store, look up a site The Wood & Shop, Inc. its got 3" and
4" stuff look under dust collection, they are in Maryland Height, Mo
just outside of St Louis...I have been putting a dust collecter on my
radial arm saw, and got a hood and reducter from Woodcrafts and using
some pvc pipe from Lowes to get it hooked up like I want it

Nova October 28th 09 08:28 PM

jtpr wrote:

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim

Rockler sells an adapter to change from 4" fitting to PVC Sewer Pipe. See:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t%20collection

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Steve Turner October 28th 09 08:38 PM

dpb wrote:
jtpr wrote:
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Most home shop folks just use plastic any more.

26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice...

Yes.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/economy-snaplock-pipe.html

for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box
stores locally.

Snap-lock is available at most home centers (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) but most of it's
paper-thin 30-gauge (or ever thinner) junk. You *can* find 26 gauge (28 gauge is probably
ok for smaller diameters or short sections) at Lowe's-Depot, but many times the stuff is
mislabeled; bring your micrometer. I have a half-dozen or more Lowe's and Home Depot stores
within driving distance, and they ALL carried a different variety of brands and gauges,
sometimes within the same store. Incidentally, I *tried* to shop every HVAC place in my
area (and I live in Austin, so there are a lot of them), but I didn't buy anything from
*any* of them; most of them weren't any better than Lowe's or Home Depot in terms of
selection (and price!), and many of them deal with contractors only and don't want to talk
to the man on the street.

I would recommend going first to Kencraft (http://kencraftcompany.com) and try to get as
much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn State for the remainder of your needs.
Every single thing I ordered from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast.
Penn State has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much* longer to
ship it than Kencraft.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

dpb October 28th 09 09:17 PM

Steve Turner wrote:
I would recommend going first to Kencraft (http://kencraftcompany.com)
and try to get as much as you can from them, then falling back on Penn
State for the remainder of your needs. Every single thing I ordered
from Kencraft was of superior quality, and they ship fast. Penn State
has more stuff, but some of it ain't as good, and it took them *much*
longer to ship it than Kencraft.

Hadn't ever heard of 'em; looks worthwhile link, thanks...

Note their only 4"x60" snap-lock is 30ga whereas Penn State has 26ga,
though. As I read it, their 24" is 26ga and is less expensive depending
on relative shipping.

One of those things owing to that that if can find locally is usually
better deal as the shipping gets amortized over much larger quantities
than individual orders.

There's always Oneida for the "high-priced spread", of course... :)

I've not checked at Woodworkers' Supply recently...well, that
said--whoah, Nelly!!! They're about double... :( Generally, their
pricing is pretty good, but not on this.

Steve Turner October 28th 09 09:42 PM

dpb wrote:
I've not checked at Woodworkers' Supply recently...well, that
said--whoah, Nelly!!! They're about double... :( Generally, their
pricing is pretty good, but not on this.

Yes, I was disappointed when I investigated Wooodworker's Supply. And there was a time when
I too thought that their pricing was "pretty good" in general, but most of my recent
perusals through their catalogs have led me to conclude otherwise. In general. :-(

Len[_3_] October 28th 09 10:05 PM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

Why would you go to home depot for this? try a woodworker supply store, one
that caters to the pros. there is one in your area You just have to search
for it. here in Baltimore there's scarrie of Howard street. I did my shop
for under a 100 with metal pike and fixtures.

Len

-MIKE- October 28th 09 10:28 PM

Len wrote:
Why would you go to home depot for this?

Because a lot of the time, woodworking stores sell the same thing for
more.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

dpb October 28th 09 10:30 PM

-MIKE- wrote:
Len wrote:
Why would you go to home depot for this?

Because a lot of the time, woodworking stores sell the same thing for more.

And another lot of the time, there isn't a woodworking store (or, of
course, here there isn't a HD/box store, either)... :)

Len[_3_] October 28th 09 10:46 PM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

I have never seen Home depot (or lowes for that matter)sell anything for
less than scarrie.the name brands have two types of products one for home
and the other for the pro,both are the same on the outside but very
different on the inside.

Len

Leon[_6_] October 28th 09 11:53 PM

"jtpr" wrote in message
I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim

I finally bit the bullet about 3-4 years ago and bought a canister 1100 CFM
Jet DC. All of my equipment is mobile so I simply use 2, 10' clear flexable
hoses to make a single 20' hose that reaches most any where in the shop. I
have no plans to upgrade. For closer equipment the hose hangs from a hook
at the ceiling near the DC. I take it down if I need to go farther with it.
I added a quick taper connect to the end for fast connection and disconnect.
Totally dependable and trouble free. Cost, about $50.

J. Clarke October 28th 09 11:57 PM

Len wrote:
I have never seen Home depot (or lowes for that matter)sell anything
for less than scarrie.

That's nice but Baltimore is a bit of a drive for most of us.

the name brands have two types of products one
for home and the other for the pro,both are the same on the outside
but very different on the inside.

I am curious--what is "very different on the inside" of a piece of bent up
sheet metal?

[email protected] October 29th 09 03:38 PM

On Oct 28, 5:53*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message

I have a Delta DC with a 4" intake. *I see pictures of shops all the
time with metal ductwork running around the shop for use with similar
units, but when I look around the local HD I don't find anything that
seems to match up with the 4" hoses.

What is it I use for this?

Thanks,
Jim

I finally bit the bullet about 3-4 years ago and bought a canister 1100 CFM
Jet DC. *All of my equipment is mobile so I simply use 2, 10' clear flexable
hoses to make a single 20' hose that reaches most any where in the shop. *I
have no plans to upgrade. *For closer equipment the hose hangs from a hook
at the ceiling near the DC. *I take it down if I need to go farther with it.
I added a quick taper connect to the end for fast connection and disconnect.
Totally dependable and trouble free. *Cost, about $50.

I just bought a DC and this is basically what I'm doing now. The
problem is that the saw and planer tend to be in the middle of the
shop (read: garage) floor so the hose is always in the way. I have
the planer on a cart so it gets put away when not in use but the saw
more or less sits.
I plan on converting the area that is normally the "bonus room" above
the garage into a shop. I have to raise the floor another ~8" so I
thought I'd run the DC pipes under the floor to the saw. I'll likely
still leave the planer on the cart.

Other tools tend to stand against the walls so quick disconnects
(behind them) would seem to be a problem there, too. I'm just in the
planning stage so I'd appreciate hearing from others.

dpb October 29th 09 03:40 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
Len wrote:
I have never seen Home depot (or lowes for that matter)sell anything
for less than scarrie.

That's nice but Baltimore is a bit of a drive for most of us.

the name brands have two types of products one
for home and the other for the pro,both are the same on the outside
but very different on the inside.

I am curious--what is "very different on the inside" of a piece of bent up
sheet metal?

The much larger hole inside the 30-ga vis a vis 26, maybe??? :J)

Steve Turner October 29th 09 04:02 PM

wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:53 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message

[...]

Leon has talked about his dust collection approach before, and I think what he's doing is
mostly workable and cost-effective. After years of dealing with just a shop vac (almost
totally inadequate), I bit the bullet and went with a big Grizzly cyclone with full ducting
(snap-lock) routed to all the big machines: table saw, radial-arm saw, planer, jointer, and
band saw. That too is working great, but I've *not* run ducting to my router table, Ridgid
belt/spindle sander, or drill press. Those machines need *something* because they can
create a hell of a mess, but I can't see firing up the big cyclone to catch a pee cup's
worth of dust. For those little guys, I'm still falling back on the shop-vac, which is
still semi-inadequate, and having to use it just kinda ****es me off :-) I'd also like to
have a small portable dust collector to replace the shop-vac.

I kinda see this in the same light as my bandsaw situation; I have a nice hefty 16"
eye-tal-yun made Minimax cast-iron "tank", but it would also be kinda nice to have a smaller
14" light-duty "sports car" so I could keep a 3/4" Woodslicer on the tank and a little 1/4"
curve-cutter on the sports car.

-MIKE- October 29th 09 05:39 PM

Steve Turner wrote:
I kinda see this in the same light as my bandsaw situation; I have a
nice hefty 16" eye-tal-yun made Minimax cast-iron "tank", but it would
also be kinda nice to have a smaller 14" light-duty "sports car" so I
could keep a 3/4" Woodslicer on the tank and a little 1/4" curve-cutter
on the sports car.

I hear ya. Even though it was a complete POS, sometimes I wish I'd kept
that little 9 incher with a metal blade on it.

I've done as many mods as I can to make blade changing simpler/faster on
my Jet 14, but any amount of time seems "too long" when you're really
rolling and the inspiration has struck you.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_6_] October 29th 09 06:48 PM

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 5:53 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message

[...]

Why not use the DC for the router table? Is it too loud? Mine is right
next to the router table and not really loud. Actually I often leave it
running, but anyway I have hearing protection when I use the router, or
planer.
If you simply don't have a way to reach it, run a temp hose. My hose
literally reaches every thing that needs dust management. Yeah I have to
step over it but it is a small price to pay and it is long enough that I
don't trip, it slides out of the way.
for some reason hearing protection does not seem to work against my " old
shop vac". Don't need it at all with the Festool vac. The finish sander
drowns out the Festool vac.

Steve Turner October 29th 09 08:33 PM

Leon wrote:
[...]

It *is* loud, but it just seems like overkill to me, kinda like watering my lawn with a fire
hose, and who knows how much extra electricity it chews up! :-) It's a 2HP 220V cyclone
with a 7" input port, and it can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. My router table has a
little 2" port for the cabinet and a 1-1/4" port for the fence. I'm afraid the collector is
going to suck the router right out of the table!

Leon[_6_] October 29th 09 09:40 PM

Leon wrote:

It *is* loud, but it just seems like overkill to me, kinda like watering
my lawn with a fire hose, and who knows how much extra electricity it
chews up! :-) It's a 2HP 220V cyclone with a 7" input port, and it can
suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. My router table has a little 2" port
for the cabinet and a 1-1/4" port for the fence. I'm afraid the collector
is going to suck the router right out of the table!

I see..... I don't think it would actually suck the bit out of the router
UNLESS you have a Craftsman router in there. ;~)

I am just waithing for the day I suck up my remote with the end of my hose
when cleaning up.

Doug Winterburn October 29th 09 10:55 PM

Steve Turner wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Make a manifold box so you can run the smaller hoses out of it, and if
needed (partially) open one or more of the smaller ports.

- Doug

Steve Turner October 29th 09 11:08 PM

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
It *is* loud, but it just seems like overkill to me, kinda like
watering my lawn with a fire hose, and who knows how much extra
electricity it chews up! :-) It's a 2HP 220V cyclone with a 7" input
port, and it can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. My router table
has a little 2" port for the cabinet and a 1-1/4" port for the fence.
I'm afraid the collector is going to suck the router right out of the
table!

Make a manifold box so you can run the smaller hoses out of it, and if
needed (partially) open one or more of the smaller ports.

- Doug

Well, I *was* be a little over-dramatic about the suckage. I usually just open a blast gate
somewhere else to keep the collector from trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw hose.

krw[_5_] October 30th 09 02:12 AM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

Leon wrote:

It *is* loud, but it just seems like overkill to me, kinda like watering
my lawn with a fire hose, and who knows how much extra electricity it
chews up! :-) It's a 2HP 220V cyclone with a 7" input port, and it can
suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. My router table has a little 2" port
for the cabinet and a 1-1/4" port for the fence. I'm afraid the collector
is going to suck the router right out of the table!

I see..... I don't think it would actually suck the bit out of the router
UNLESS you have a Craftsman router in there. ;~)

Nah, Crapsman routers suck more than that.

I am just waithing for the day I suck up my remote with the end of my hose
when cleaning up.

I've been wondering the same thing. I tied one to the end of the
fence rail and put the other away in the closet. ;-)

FrozenNorth[_4_] October 30th 09 04:12 AM

wrote:

I am just waithing for the day I suck up my remote with the end of my hose
when cleaning up.

And then there was the time I was vacuuming some dust up from inside
my computer case. Sucked a chip right off the motherboard. Made a
bigger mess looking for it than before I started vacuuming.

If your vacuum allows, hook up the hose to blow instead of suck.

No inuendo intended.
;-)

--
Froz...

CW[_5_] October 30th 09 04:44 AM

wrote:

I am just waithing for the day I suck up my remote with the end of my hose
when cleaning up.

And then there was the time I was vacuuming some dust up from inside
my computer case. Sucked a chip right off the motherboard. Made a
bigger mess looking for it than before I started vacuuming.

I'm amazed that it still worked. Thought sure static would have killed it.

[email protected] October 30th 09 05:18 AM

What duct work do I buy for dust collection

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:12:09 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:
And then there was the time I was vacuuming some dust up from inside
my computer case. Sucked a chip right off the motherboard. Made a
bigger mess looking for it than before I started vacuuming.

If your vacuum allows, hook up the hose to blow instead of suck.

So I can blow the chips off my motherboard instead of sucking them up?
:)