Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice Wanted for Jointer Fence Repair/Replacement

I picked up a Delta 37-285 Jointer on craigslist for $75....
hmmmm.... I think I forgot to *gloat* about that. :-)

It works great, as far as the motor, cutters, table, and all that go.

The problem is in the adjustable fence. The parts that make it
adjustable are made of that pot-metal that they used for the longest
time. You can see in the following lousy picture that they have cracked.
http://www.mikedrums.com/fencecrack.jpg

I've been using it without the fence. But I'd like to replace these parts.
They ARE NOT available from Delta or online retailers.

My options, as I see them, are to...
a) find old ones
2) build new ones out of hardwood, or
III) find new parts/assembly that fit this

I'm not thrilled about option "a" because I'll just get parts that will
crack, sooner or later.

So shoot... what do you think I should do?
Ideas and advice, let me have 'em!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 7:03*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Does the anti-kickback porkchop still work?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Does the anti-kickback porkchop still work?

I was waiting for that. :-)

And some better pics (I replaced the original, too)...

http://www.mikedrums.com/fencecrackside.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/fencecracktop.jpg

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I picked up a Delta 37-285 Jointer ....

.... I've been using it without the fence. *....

Yikes!

But I'd like to replace these parts. ...

They ARE NOT available from Delta or online retailers.

Check out:

http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Join...ists_2284.aspx

This might help -- I've gotten replacements parts from them in the
past.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

My options, as I see them, are to...
a) find old ones
2) build new ones out of hardwood, or
III) find new parts/assembly that fit this

Option IV:

Use broken parts as mold and lay up epoxy & knitted glass to make
replacement parts.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would ask over at owwm forum (Old Wood Working Machines).

Or, consider having something made. Doesn't need to be exactly the
same parts, jsut dream up some simple clamp and angle and have it
fab'd.

On Oct 7, 4:03*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

My options, as I see them, are to...
a) find old ones
2) build new ones out of hardwood, or
III) find new parts/assembly that fit this

Option IV:

Use broken parts as mold and lay up epoxy & knitted glass to make
replacement parts.

Yeah, it looks as if they were cast. I bet an aluminum casting company could
knock the sucker out in a few minutes.

As an alternative, see if your local high school or vocational school has a
metal shop. They cast aluminum stuff (i.e., wall plaques, flagpole eagles,
etc.) all the time. I'll bet they would enjoy something different.

An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work! Here's a step by
step instruction set (there's probably dozens of similar techniques on the
web). You'll need:

2 large coffee cans
A drill with a 3/8" bit
A steel "tin can"
Some instant-light charcoal
A hair dryer with an air-only setting
Some tongs and leather gloves
A ****-load of aluminum cans
Tin snips
Molding sand (sand + kitty-litter clay)
Container for the sand
Bucket of water

Looks like this set-up can handle a bit less than a pint of molten aluminum,
but it's obvious the technique can be scaled up to handle any reasonable
amount.

Frankly, this looks like fun. There's fire and smoke and noxious fumes and
molten metal and screaming neighbors and all kinds of dangerous stuff.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I picked up a Delta 37-285 Jointer ....

.... I've been using it without the fence. ....

Yikes!

But I'd like to replace these parts. ...

They ARE NOT available from Delta or online retailers.

Check out:

http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Join...ists_2284.aspx

This might help -- I've gotten replacements parts from them in the
past.

Joel

When I said, they aren't available, I meant it. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

My options, as I see them, are to...
a) find old ones
2) build new ones out of hardwood, or
III) find new parts/assembly that fit this

Option IV:

Use broken parts as mold and lay up epoxy & knitted glass to make
replacement parts.

Lew

You never know, that might be something I'd get into.

If I had machining tools, I'd go for aluminum.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 7, 4:14 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Does the anti-kickback porkchop still work?

Now I've got to clean my monitor! Of course it won't work without the
fence. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

Ever since I saw "World's Fasted Indian," I've been wanting to do just
that.

Maybe this is my excuse. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

This may be usefully in finding used parts. If nothing else it is an
interesting site.

http://www.owwm.com/

I do like the mold-your-own idea.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

Ever since I saw "World's Fasted Indian," I've been wanting to do just
that.

Maybe this is my excuse. :-)

Once you pee on a lemon tree you don't need an excuse ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

You never know, that might be something I'd get into.

Be careful, glass and resin is a slippery slope.

Like sex, once you try it.................................

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Your local Vo-Tech school should have a machine shop. Rather than
cast one, I'm sure one could be machined.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

Ever since I saw "World's Fasted Indian," I've been wanting to do just
that.

Maybe this is my excuse. :-)

Once you pee on a lemon tree you don't need an excuse ...

I pee everywhere else, might as well pee on a lemon tree.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unless it is a private school, chances are they will not do the work. I know
they won't around here.

"Sonny" wrote in message
Your local Vo-Tech school should have a machine shop. Rather than
cast one, I'm sure one could be machined.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

*snip*

An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work! Here's a
step by step instruction set (there's probably dozens of similar
techniques on the web). You'll need:

*snip*

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

That's a cool idea! I'd be afraid to try it because of the addiction of
yet another hobby. You might be able to use a crusher dust rather than
the sand if it'll lock together better. I know a lot of sand out there
is quite round in shape and doesn't lock together well.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

*snip*

An even better alternative is to do your own foundry work! Here's a
step by step instruction set (there's probably dozens of similar
techniques on the web). You'll need:

*snip*

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cast-aluminum/

That's a cool idea! I'd be afraid to try it because of the addiction
of yet another hobby. You might be able to use a crusher dust rather
than the sand if it'll lock together better. I know a lot of sand
out there is quite round in shape and doesn't lock together well.

Yeah, the right kind of sand is important for detailed work, as is the
moisture content (imagine pouring molten metal into mud!). It also needs to
be sifted through a suitable mesh. If the object is 3-dimensional, you might
need two interlocking sand-holders and pour/vent channels.

I bet you could hone your technique using lead, which melts at a much lower
temperature. I used to cast lead bullets and fishing sinkers - pretty
trivial but kinda fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Solution for Jointer Fence Repair/Replacement

I picked up a Delta 37-285 Jointer on craigslist for $75....
hmmmm.... I think I forgot to *gloat* about that. :-)

It works great, as far as the motor, cutters, table, and all that go.

The problem is in the adjustable fence. The parts that make it
adjustable are made of that pot-metal that they used for the longest
time. You can see in the following lousy picture that they have cracked.
http://www.mikedrums.com/fencecrack.jpg

Found a new fence assembly on ebay for 20 bucks that is used on Delta's
newer jointers and disc sanders.

With a couple mods, it works very nicely.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tiger Woods said, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
With me, it's the more I google... :-)
Things have been slow, so I had time to look.
Plus, never underestimate the power of ebay's "Make an Offer." :-)

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
You are one lucky bast$%. Congrats.

I picked up a Delta 37-285 Jointer on craigslist for $75....
hmmmm.... I think I forgot to *gloat* about that. :-)
It works great, as far as the motor, cutters, table, and all that go.
The problem is in the adjustable fence. The parts that make it
adjustable are made of that pot-metal that they used for the longest
time. You can see in the following lousy picture that they have cracked.
http://www.mikedrums.com/fencecrack.jpg

Found a new fence assembly on ebay for 20 bucks that is used on Delta's
newer jointers and disc sanders.

With a couple mods, it works very nicely.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, in return to a comment about how "talented" his son (John) was,
coach Elway angrly responded that it wasn't talent, it was the
insistance of always running one more lap when the rest of the team
hit the showers and more hard work that anyone else.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Yeah, in return to a comment about how "talented" his son (John) was,
coach Elway angrly responded that it wasn't talent, it was the
insistance of always running one more lap when the rest of the team
hit the showers and more hard work that anyone else.

That works _up_to_a_point. I'd never made a NBA player no matter how
much I worked on my jump shot...

There has to be a certain amount of innate ability in any field before
anybody is going to become top-level performer. Better than just
bumbler?--sure, that's something most people can attain w/ enough effort
but w/o the physical tools to start with there is no amount of effort
that will create a world-class athlete or a Pavarotti or Einstein or...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
You might be wrong. Read "outliers" and learn about the 10,000 hour
magic number.

I might be indeed....indeed, there's a finite chance by quantum
mechanics a bowling ball can tunnel through a concrete wall, too, but it
ain't very likely we're any of us going to observe it happening...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 7:03:35 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Old thread, but for anyone else that finds this, I just replaced the rotted pot metal with a large washer. Set it once for 90 degrees and it works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to gtygartsr, Ricksastar wrote:
You have pictures?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...nt-474066-.htm