DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A sort of woodworking post (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/288792-sort-woodworking-post.html)

Larry C[_2_] October 6th 09 05:54 PM

A sort of woodworking post

I have to install some 3/4 round on the outside of my house. I am using the
PVC stuff.

I am correct to use 3 inch stainless finish nails? If not what? I want to
use a nail gun. I have 100ft to do

Larry C

RicodJour October 6th 09 06:02 PM

A sort of woodworking post

On Oct 6, 12:54*pm, "Larry C"
wrote:
I have to install some 3/4 round on the outside of my house. *I am using the
PVC stuff.

I am correct to use 3 inch stainless finish nails? *If not what? *I want to
use a nail gun. *I have 100ft to do

It'd be better to use two pieces of 3/8 round. Drive the nails first
- 16d common Monel ringshanks on 3" centers - and set them proud about
3/16", then route out recesses for the nail heads in both pieces of
3/8" to house the nail heads (make sure that you reverse the grain so
you don't get warping in the PVC). Then sandwich the nail heads in
between the two pieces of 3/8 round using PVC monoclonal cellular
adhesive, and use about 2000 headless pins to hold them in place while
the glue dries. Post some pictures next Spring when you're done.

Swingman October 6th 09 06:27 PM

A sort of woodworking post

Larry C wrote:
I have to install some 3/4 round on the outside of my house. I am using
the PVC stuff.

I am correct to use 3 inch stainless finish nails? If not what? I want
to use a nail gun. I have 100ft to do

2 1/4" stainless deck screws will work just fine ... you'll need the
1000 pack for $90 and a deck screw gun, but a guns a gun.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

jo4hn October 6th 09 07:43 PM

A sort of woodworking post

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:54 pm, "Larry C"
wrote:
I have to install some 3/4 round on the outside of my house. I am using the
PVC stuff.

I am correct to use 3 inch stainless finish nails? If not what? I want to
use a nail gun. I have 100ft to do

It'd be better to use two pieces of 3/8 round. Drive the nails first
- 16d common Monel ringshanks on 3" centers - and set them proud about
3/16", then route out recesses for the nail heads in both pieces of
3/8" to house the nail heads (make sure that you reverse the grain so
you don't get warping in the PVC). Then sandwich the nail heads in
between the two pieces of 3/8 round using PVC monoclonal cellular
adhesive, and use about 2000 headless pins to hold them in place while
the glue dries. Post some pictures next Spring when you're done.

holy moley.!???