DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Routing a groove length of a 2x4 (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/288737-routing-groove-length-2x4.html)

[email protected] October 6th 09 01:21 AM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Swingman October 6th 09 01:25 AM

wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Either a router table with a fence, or a dado stack in the table saw ...
depends on what you have.

Personally, I would go for the dado stack on the TS, but I'm set up to
do that quicker, but either will work.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Elrond Hubbard October 6th 09 02:19 AM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

" wrote in news:8b513385-ed8c-
:

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Multiple passes on the table saw would get the job done more quickly than
setting up a router or dado, if it's a one-shot job.

Scott

RicodJour October 6th 09 03:25 AM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

On Oct 5, 8:21*pm, "
wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

You could do it with a circular saw and a sawboard. With the right
blade you can get excellent results and it pretty much eliminates
splintering. You'd just have to take a couple of passes and move the
sawboard a bit for the second cut.

http://www.rochesterwoodworkers.org/...r/Sawboard.pdf

Puckdropper[_2_] October 6th 09 04:33 AM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

Swingman wrote in
:

wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Either a router table with a fence, or a dado stack in the table saw
... depends on what you have.

Personally, I would go for the dado stack on the TS, but I'm set up to
do that quicker, but either will work.

3/8" wide would only be 3-4 passes with a standard blade. No dado stack
needed.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Ed Edelenbos October 6th 09 04:59 AM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Swingman wrote in
:

wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Either a router table with a fence, or a dado stack in the table saw
... depends on what you have.

Personally, I would go for the dado stack on the TS, but I'm set up to
do that quicker, but either will work.

3/8" wide would only be 3-4 passes with a standard blade. No dado stack
needed.

Puckdropper
--

Either router table or table saw (no dado).

Larry W October 6th 09 07:38 PM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

In article ,
wrote:
Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

If this is a one-time job, I could make 3 or 4 passes on my table saw and be
done with it in less time than it takes to get out the router, put in a
bit and adjust it, and plug it in. YMMV.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Phisherman[_2_] October 8th 09 12:16 PM

Routing a groove length of a 2x4

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:21:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Seems to me that this is job for a router table.

Need to put a groove down the length of a small (less than 3 feet)
2x4. Was thinking I could do this by hand. It's a small groove. Not
more than 3/8 of a inch or so and only about 1/2 deep.

Thoughts, recommendations?

MJ

Tablesaw. Probably I would not bother with a dado blade, a few
passes and you're done. To perfectly center the groove, flip the
board.