DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   casters for a radial arm saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/287887-casters-radial-arm-saw.html)

racing John September 23rd 09 07:47 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Christopher Glaeser September 23rd 09 07:58 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

If you want to move the heaviest of equipment with ease, check out the
Rockler All-Terrain Mobile Base. The optional extensions will fit any
equipment, and the large locking 5" wheels allow for easy movement but lock
solid into place.

Best,
Christopher

Leon[_6_] September 23rd 09 08:30 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

"racing John" wrote in message
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Yes they do make a caster set. HOWEVER because the legs have so much twist
in them the casters are next to worthless. You would be better off buying a
universal mobile base from Rockler for about $50-$60.

Steve Turner September 23rd 09 08:40 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

Leon wrote:
"racing John" wrote in message
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Yes they do make a caster set. HOWEVER because the legs have so much twist
in them the casters are next to worthless. You would be better off buying a
universal mobile base from Rockler for about $50-$60.

That's what I did on the used Craftsman RAS I bought this past year. The built-in casters
were total crap; threw them away and put the whole rig on a Delta universal mobile base.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

SonomaProducts.com September 23rd 09 09:05 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

Yikes, you'll give that dangerous monster wheels so it can chase you
round the shop instead of sitting there passively waiting to bite you?

racing John September 24th 09 01:23 AM

casters for a radial arm saw

thanks I will check it out

Leon[_6_] September 24th 09 01:51 AM

casters for a radial arm saw

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"racing John" wrote in message
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Yes they do make a caster set. HOWEVER because the legs have so much
twist in them the casters are next to worthless. You would be better off
buying a universal mobile base from Rockler for about $50-$60.

That's what I did on the used Craftsman RAS I bought this past year. The
built-in casters were total crap; threw them away and put the whole rig on
a Delta universal mobile base.

It is reasuring that some thing never change. I bought my RAS in 1979 and
got rid of it some where around 1987.

BillGill September 24th 09 03:26 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

racing John wrote:
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Mine came with a leg and caster set. I never used them, because I
have my RAS built into the workbench along the wall. Gives me a
long feed table.

Bill

BillGill September 24th 09 03:29 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

BillGill wrote:
racing John wrote:
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

Mine came with a leg and caster set. I never used them, because I
have my RAS built into the workbench along the wall. Gives me a
long feed table.

Bill

Whoops! I went and checked. I have the legs, but it doesn't mention
casters. Some day I may even find a use for the leg kit.

Bill

Phisherman[_2_] September 24th 09 09:35 PM

casters for a radial arm saw

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:47:38 -0400, (racing John)
wrote:

father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he is giving me. Do they
make a caster wheel kit to go on them

There are several brands of universal bases with wheels. The base is
adjusted to the particular machine. They are about $100. Woodcraft
makes one kind. Of course, you can make one yourself, ShopNotes had a
plan.