Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell TS Question

I recently picked up a 12" Rockwell contractors TS and I am currently in the
process of cleaning it up. Since I am going to use this almost exclusively
with a dado blade, I needed to make a new zero clearance plate. I made it
out of MDF, and with a little sanding, they fit perfectly.

Now, my question, the original plate was just flat steel and screwed into
the top via 4 screws with no provision for adjustments. My plate sits a
little lower than the top of the TS (by design) to allow for adjustments.
Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert that I can put a screw
into so I can level the plate. Any chance, anyone has done something like
this, or might have seen something along this line? It obviously needs to be
short (1/4" or so) so I can recess it into the mdf.

Thanx in advance

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SteveA wrote:
I recently picked up a 12" Rockwell contractors TS and I am currently in
the process of cleaning it up. Since I am going to use this almost
exclusively with a dado blade, I needed to make a new zero clearance
plate. I made it out of MDF, and with a little sanding, they fit perfectly.

Now, my question, the original plate was just flat steel and screwed
into the top via 4 screws with no provision for adjustments. My plate
sits a little lower than the top of the TS (by design) to allow for
adjustments. Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert that I
can put a screw into so I can level the plate. Any chance, anyone has
done something like this, or might have seen something along this line?

I just thread an allen-head set screw directly into the material (from
the top) so adjustment is trivial. There's not enough force to need
anything more substantial ime.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveA" wrote:

Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert that I can put
a screw into so I can level the plate.

The URL below will get you to Rockler threaded insert page.

Add some headless set screws and get a beer.

Have fun.

Lew

http://tinyurl.com/lb365h

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SteveA" wrote in message
I recently picked up a 12" Rockwell contractors TS and I am currently in
the process of cleaning it up. Since I am going to use this almost
exclusively with a dado blade, I needed to make a new zero clearance plate.
I made it out of MDF, and with a little sanding, they fit perfectly.

Now, my question, the original plate was just flat steel and screwed into
the top via 4 screws with no provision for adjustments. My plate sits a
little lower than the top of the TS (by design) to allow for adjustments.
Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert that I can put a
screw into so I can level the plate. Any chance, anyone has done something
like this, or might have seen something along this line? It obviously
needs to be short (1/4" or so) so I can recess it into the mdf.

Thanx in advance

SteveA

I made my zero clearnace inserts out of 1/2" Baltic birch and directly
screwed in 3/8" long #6 flat head wood screws to level the plates. After
initial adjustments I have never had to readjust.

I have also used hot melt glue spots to level plates in the past. I simply
sanded the glue dabs down to the correct height.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 5:49*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"SteveA" wrote in message

[...]

I'd recommend sheet metal screws instead of woodscrews for MDF,
because they are not tapered and won't tend to split the MDF.

On second thought, I'd recommend using baltic birch instead of MDF.
MDF gets eaten up to quickly at the front of the slot by erosion from
flying sawdust. that's my experience anyway.

On third thought, I just got a bunch of various sizes scrap lexan. I
think I'll see how it works as a zero clearance insert. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveA wrote:
I recently picked up a 12" Rockwell contractors TS and I am currently
in the process of cleaning it up. Since I am going to use this almost
exclusively with a dado blade, I needed to make a new zero clearance
plate. I made it out of MDF, and with a little sanding, they fit
perfectly.
Now, my question, the original plate was just flat steel and screwed
into the top via 4 screws with no provision for adjustments. My plate
sits a little lower than the top of the TS (by design) to allow for
adjustments. Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert
that I can put a screw into so I can level the plate. Any chance,
anyone has done something like this, or might have seen something
along this line? It obviously needs to be short (1/4" or so) so I can
recess it into the mdf.

Use allen screws...

1. Drill holes in MDF

2. Tap holes. If necessary, run in some super glue before tapping to harden
MDF.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd recommend sheet metal screws instead of woodscrews for MDF,
because they are not tapered and won't tend to split the MDF.

Bob

I bought some MDF-specific screws at Lowes and they works very well.

From what I can tell, they *are* tapered a bit, like yours, and also
have very wide-spaced and deep threads.

Those SPAX screws also work very well but are pretty pricey.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveA wrote:
I recently picked up a 12" Rockwell contractors TS and I am currently in
the process of cleaning it up. Since I am going to use this almost
exclusively with a dado blade, I needed to make a new zero clearance
plate. I made it out of MDF, and with a little sanding, they fit perfectly.

Wow, lot of saw for just dado blades.

Now, my question, the original plate was just flat steel and screwed
into the top via 4 screws with no provision for adjustments. My plate
sits a little lower than the top of the TS (by design) to allow for
adjustments.

Thats what I have done, but simply used short screws. Interestingly,
I've never had to make any adjustments. I think my next one will be
exactly the thickness I want, maybe a little fat and sand to perfect?

Now, I need some type of brass/steel threaded insert that I
can put a screw into so I can level the plate.

Threaded inserts are useful for lots of stuff. The best source I've
found is Grainger. I bought 25 brass 1/4-20 3/8 long for less than I
paid for 5 ****ty steel ones at Lowe's. I use the knife threaded inserts:

http://tinyurl.com/m4ht9e

Any chance, anyone has
done something like this, or might have seen something along this line?
It obviously needs to be short (1/4" or so) so I can recess it into the
mdf.

The shortest I found was 3/8.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/

rockwell 3400 question(s) tom Woodturning 1 January 27th 09 07:51 AM
Rockwell saw SteveB Home Repair 11 October 6th 08 12:22 AM
Rockwell Table Saw [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 21st 05 12:02 PM
Rockwell 10" lathe threading question KD Metalworking 1 October 27th 03 03:26 PM
Rockwell 20" bandsaw question Steve Smith Woodworking 7 September 18th 03 12:13 PM