DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steam bending redwood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/282379-steam-bending-redwood.html)

Mark Haveman July 14th 09 11:25 PM

Steam bending redwood

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood. Thanks, Mark

RicodJour July 14th 09 11:38 PM

Steam bending redwood

On Jul 14, 6:25*pm, "Mark Haveman" wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood. Thanks, Mark

The only redwood I steam bent was also laminated from 3/16" pieces.
Belt and suspenders time as I was under the gun and the end units had
some pretty tight radii. The stuff bent fine and with a 3' radius you
shouldn't have any problem.

Phisherman[_2_] July 15th 09 12:10 AM

Steam bending redwood

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:25:48 -0700, "Mark Haveman"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood. Thanks, Mark

Redwood is notorious for splintering. You may need to use both
lamination and steam. Expect 3-4% springback.

Lew Hodgett[_4_] July 15th 09 12:17 AM

Steam bending redwood

"Mark Haveman" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood??

I don't.

I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick.
The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried.
Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood.

Personally since you have a 3' radius and only 3/4" thickness is
required, I'd probably laminate three (3), 1/4" thick pieces in one
pass using laminating epoxy with a slow hardner to get 25-30 minutes
of open time.

If you try to steam it, you will be under the gun the whole time.

Epoxy gives you some breathing room.

Have fun.

Lew

RicodJour July 15th 09 12:44 AM

Steam bending redwood

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood. Thanks, Mark

Redwood is notorious for splintering. *You may need to use both
lamination and steam. *Expect 3-4% springback.

Or constrain the wood on both sides to eliminate the splintering.
http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/...erbending.html