Posted to rec.woodworking

Default does all wood darken?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/27/2009 10:37 AM Swingman spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 6/25/2009 7:56 AM Leon spake thus:

Stick it out side! IT IS NOT GOING TO RAIN. The Cherry will turn
darker and the Walnut will lighten, then you will end up with the
same result, except just the opposite. ;~(

Just a question: why do you always capitalize Cherry and Walnut?
They're not proper nouns, you know, and this ain't German.

Just curious.

Around here proper respect is paid to JOAT'S wooddorking gods, which
lurk in the two most elegant of hardwoods, way before any thought is
given to frivolous pursuits like grammar ... besides, it insures
wooddorkers cut only once after measuring only once.

Hmm; dunno what JOAT is, but I'll find out soon enough.

And that's sure better than my usual "Damn--I cut it twice and it's
*still* too short!"

JOAT Jack Of All Trades (master of none).

Like me.

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 10:48:52 AM UTC-5, dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

I want to buy a beautiful Queen Anne table that the owner says is cherry. I leaf is clearly darker, presumably because it was stored. I was hoping to put it in the sun to let it lighten up so it will match. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to lighten up?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 11:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/23/2018 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2018 5:07 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 10:48:52 AM UTC-5, dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. Do other woods behave in the same way? One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

I want to buy a beautiful Queen Anne table that the owner says is
cherry. I leaf is clearly darker, presumably because it was stored.
I was hoping to put it in the sun to let it lighten up so it will
match. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to lighten up?

Cherry will not get lighter. In fact, now that you mention it, I
don't recall ever seeing wood get lighter with exposure to light,
usually light wood turns gray, and dark wood get darker. I don't have
experience with all 60,000 species of wood, so one can't be sure. My
best guess is the leaf was exposed to sun, and the table wasn't.
Seems strange as normally it would be the other way around. Possibly
the leaf is different wood from the rest.

Walnut absolutely lightens with exposure to light.

I'm sitting here looking at a walnut pencil holder I made 40+ years ago
and it's if anything darker than when I made it. How long should I wait
for it to get lighter? Same with my cutting boards also 40+ years old,
the walnut is definitely not lighter than when made.

It's Pennsylvania walnut though, not Texas walnut. Also not sitting
outside in direct sunlight and weather so who knows what that would do?
Generally direct sunlight might fade colored wood into grayish, but
don't recall any wood getting lighter from exposure.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2018 5:07 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 10:48:52 AM UTC-5, dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age?Â* Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species.Â* Do other woods behave in the same way?Â* One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

I want to buy a beautiful Queen Anne table that the owner says is
cherry.Â* I leaf is clearly darker, presumably because it was stored.
I was hoping to put it in the sun to let it lighten up so it will
match.Â* Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to lighten up?

Cherry will not get lighter.Â* In fact, now that you mention it, I
don't recall ever seeing wood get lighter with exposure to light,
usually light wood turns gray, and dark wood get darker. I don't have
experience with all 60,000 species of wood, so one can't be sure.Â* My
best guess is the leaf was exposed to sun, and the table wasn't.
Seems strange as normally it would be the other way around.Â* Possibly
the leaf is different wood from the rest.

Walnut absolutely lightens with exposure to light.

I'm sitting here looking at a walnut pencil holder I made 40+ years ago
and it's if anything darker than when I made it. How long should I wait
for it to get lighter?Â* Same with my cutting boards also 40+ years old,
the walnut is definitely not lighter than when made.

Indirect sunlight and or a finish can slow the process. You will
probably have no issue.

BUT. If you believe anything from the internet or FWW,

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...and-why-bother

It's Pennsylvania walnut though, not Texas walnut.Â* Also not sitting
outside in direct sunlight and weather so who knows what that would do?
Â*Generally direct sunlight might fade colored wood into grayish, but
don't recall any wood getting lighter from exposure.

Wood that is exposed to a lot of UV will turn grey, even walnut. On its
way to turning grey, it lightens.
Swingman and our wives were in Arkansas about 10 years ago and were
looking for wood. We ran across a guy with a band saw sawmill that was
selling fence posts. $4 each IIRC and they were all grey like a typical
fence post. They had been stored and dried outside.

These posts were walnut and until he planed the faded side we would
never have believed that. We left Arkansas with a pick up load of grey
walnut fence posts. $74.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2018 5:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was wrong. Walnut does lighten with age. I looked at the bottom of
my pencil holder and it is definitely darker than the exposed part.
Mea culpa.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2018 5:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

wait for it to get lighter?Â* Same with my cutting boards also 40+
years old, the walnut is definitely not lighter than when made.

Indirect sunlight and or a finish can slow the process.Â* You will
probably have no issue.

BUT.Â* If you believe anything from the internet or FWW,

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...and-why-bother

It's Pennsylvania walnut though, not Texas walnut.Â* Also not sitting
outside in direct sunlight and weather so who knows what that would
do?Â*Â* Generally direct sunlight might fade colored wood into grayish,
but don't recall any wood getting lighter from exposure.

Wood that is exposed to a lot of UV will turn grey, even walnut.Â* On its
way to turning grey, it lightens.
Swingman and our wives were in Arkansas about 10 years ago and were
looking for wood.Â* We ran across a guy with a band saw sawmill that was
selling fence posts.Â* $4 each IIRC and they were all grey like a typical
fence post.Â* They had been stored and dried outside.

These posts were walnut and until he planed the faded side we would
never have believed that.Â* We left Arkansas with a pick up load of grey
walnut fence posts.Â* $74.

I was wrong.Â* Walnut does lighten with age.Â* I looked at the bottom of
my pencil holder and it is definitely darker than the exposed part.
Mea culpa.

No problem Jack, Time plays tricks on everyone's memory.
One memory deception that has always confounded me is when I see some
thing from my childhood, many years later, is how much smaller it looks now.
When I was in elementary school I thought the campus was HUGE.

When I revisited about 40 years later it was tiny. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2018 5:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

Took my young son to a couple of fish'n holes I frequented when I was
12... Wow, they were nothing like I remembered, despite nothing at all
had actually changed.

The walnut pencil holder I've been looking at every day for 40 years.
The slow change was not noticeable to me. It wasn't until I looked at
the bottom that the gradual change became sudden. What bothers me is I
never thought to look at the bottom until I read the fine woodworking
article you referenced and he tipped me off.

--
Jack
If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything.