DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with General products (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/28049-help-general-products.html)

GBsCards February 18th 04 01:28 PM

Help with General products

Hi. I was going through my local used classifieds and came across an ad that
reads as follows:

Wood lathe, General Machinery, 5spd, 3/4 hp, $350.00

My question is about General. Are General, General International and General
Machinery one in the same? I haven't been in the woodworking scene more than a
year or so, but I was under the impression that General made a great tool. The
price threw me a bit, so I thought there may be some kind of explaination
regarding the General company. Maybe the thing is just thrashed.

Yes, I know a call will clear everything up, and I plan on it, but I at least
wanted to sound 1/2 way intelligent when discussing his lathe. Thanks for any
input.

Michael Baglio February 18th 04 01:48 PM

Help with General products

On 18 Feb 2004 13:28:31 GMT, (GBsCards) wrote:

Hi. I was going through my local used classifieds and came across an ad that
reads as follows:

Wood lathe, General Machinery, 5spd, 3/4 hp, $350.00

My question is about General. Are General, General International and General
Machinery one in the same?

General manufactures tools in it's Canadian facility. The tools
manufactured in their plants in the far east are marketed under the
name General International. See
http://www.general.ca/

If you have a model number, you might find a reference price point for
your lathe at http://www.utterguys.com. They vend a lot of General
porducts.

Hth,
Michael

Eric Johnson February 18th 04 01:57 PM

Help with General products

They all come from the same place but there are differences.
General normally means Canadian made and pretty good quality.
General International is comparable to Grizzly/Jet in many ways and is

likey manufactured in Taiwan or China. My planer research a few months back
suggested the 15" planers I was comparing between the 3 companies came off
the same assembly line.
General Machinery IINM is more metal wrecking type stuff for a machine

shop.

LRod February 18th 04 02:33 PM

Help with General products

On 18 Feb 2004 13:28:31 GMT, (GBsCards) wrote:

Hi. I was going through my local used classifieds and came across an ad that
reads as follows:

Wood lathe, General Machinery, 5spd, 3/4 hp, $350.00

My question is about General. Are General, General International and General
Machinery one [AND] the same? I haven't been in the woodworking scene more than a
year or so, but I was under the impression that General made a great tool. The
price threw me a bit, so I thought there may be some kind of explaination
regarding the General company. Maybe the thing is just thrashed.

Yes, I know a call will clear everything up, and I plan on it, but I at least
wanted to sound 1/2 way intelligent when discussing his lathe. Thanks for any
input.

The "price throwing you" is the first hint. TANSTAAFL. Isn't General
Machinery one of the faux brands Harbor Freight uses to disguise their
junk? Like Central Pneumatic, almost not to be confused with Chicago
Pneumatic (which is some pretty good pneumatic stuff)?

I'm not sure; I try not to invest too much time around Harbor Freight
stuff. It may not be related at all.

But as far as I know, General (first class North American built stuff)
and General International (Chiwanese stuff marketed by them) are the
only related companies.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

A Dubya February 18th 04 10:09 PM

Help with General products

General is made in Quebec, Canada. Look on their website and you'll notice
a Canadian flag on equip manufactured in Canada, you'll also notice, a
healthy price difference between General and General International.
Everything out of their Canadian plant is cast steel, heavy duty and
quality.

General International is made everywhere else, to be competitive with the
rest of the overseas junk out there.

Sorry, but I'm a die hard General fan. Not much else out there these days
compares in price for the quality, accuracy and adjustability. (and it
doesn't hurt that it's keeping folks in the US and Can employed)

Cheers,

Andy

GBsCards February 19th 04 12:34 AM

Help with General products

Thanks for the replies guys. I placed the call and low and behold: The mag
misprinted his ad. Was supposed to say Central Machinery.

It all makes sense now.............