DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Overhang on steps (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/280445-overhang-steps.html)

[email protected] June 17th 09 01:58 AM

Overhang on steps

Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

nb

Chris Friesen June 17th 09 01:59 AM

Overhang on steps

wrote:
Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

Yes, there is. According to the books I read it's so that you don't hit
your heel or toes against the riser.

Chris

[email protected] June 17th 09 02:06 AM

Overhang on steps

On Jun 17, 8:59 am, Chris Friesen wrote:
wrote:
Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

Yes, there is. According to the books I read it's so that you don't hit
your heel or toes against the riser.

Chris

Check out the site stairways.org. They have a visual interpretation
of the recent stair codes with sketches and dimensions.

Mike O. June 17th 09 02:33 AM

Overhang on steps

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:58:01 -0600, wrote:

Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

From the IRC

A nosing not less than 3/4 inch (19
mm) but not more than 11/4 inches (32 mm) shall be
provided on stairways with solid risers.
The greatest nosing projection shall not exceed the
smallest nosing projection by more than 3/8 inch (9.5
mm) between two stories, including the nosing at the
level of floors and landings. clip
Exceptions: 1. A nosing is not required where the
tread depth is a minimum of 11 inches
(279 mm).

Mike O.

Puckdropper[_2_] June 17th 09 03:22 AM

Overhang on steps

wrote in :

Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

nb

I've found it's easier to get a dolly (hand truck) up the stairs when
there's a overhang. It's something about pivot points and other such
magic.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Leon June 17th 09 03:16 PM

Overhang on steps

wrote in message

Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so,
what is it?

nb

The riser adds more strength if it is closer to the middle of the step where
most of the weight is applied.