DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best finish for T&G pine paneling? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/27859-best-finish-t-g-pine-paneling.html)

HerHusband February 15th 04 05:34 PM

Best finish for T&G pine paneling?

We'll be installing Knotty Pine T&G paneling in our house soon, and I'm
wondering what the best finish to put on the pine walls would be? We just
want a clear finish, or something that gives a slight amber tone to the
pine. I don't want to stain the pine or cover up it's natural appearance,
and I don't want a finish that will make the pine look "splotchy". The
finish should not be "sticky" or require regular maintenance.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony

Mark February 15th 04 08:25 PM

Best finish for T&G pine paneling?

Orange shellac will give a slight amber tone. Even though you don't
want to stain, honey pine stain gives a very warm look. But you may need
to condition the pine, or it will become blotchy due to the way pine
accepts stain. Mark

Edwin Pawlowski February 15th 04 10:51 PM

HerHusband wrote:
We'll be installing Knotty Pine T&G paneling in our house soon, and
I'm wondering what the best finish to put on the pine walls would be?
We just want a clear finish, or something that gives a slight amber
tone to the pine. Anthony

Time will give a nice rich tone. I'd use shellac. You can get amber
shelac if you'd prefer.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Byron February 15th 04 11:31 PM

wrote:

We'll be installing Knotty Pine T&G paneling in our house soon, and I'm
wondering what the best finish to put on the pine walls would be? We just
want a clear finish, or something that gives a slight amber tone to the
pine. I don't want to stain the pine or cover up it's natural appearance,
and I don't want a finish that will make the pine look "splotchy". The
finish should not be "sticky" or require regular maintenance.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Anthony

shellac

I finish pine all the time. Try mixing oil based poly with mineral
spirits--50 -50 . Its easy to put on and wont "sag" on you becouse it
tends to soak into the wood. Water based poly will be clearer--oil
based will leave a slightly yellow tinge.

Fred the Red Shirt February 16th 04 03:35 PM

wrote:

We'll be installing Knotty Pine T&G paneling in our house soon, ...
I don't want to stain the pine or cover up it's natural appearance,

Excellent

shellac

I finish pine all the time. Try mixing oil based poly with mineral
spirits--50 -50 . Its easy to put on and wont "sag" on you becouse it
tends to soak into the wood. Water based poly will be clearer--oil
based will leave a slightly yellow tinge.

Shellac is supposed to be the ideal sealant for pine, preventing
sap from oozing out of the knots and sap pockets making bumps
in the finish. If you use an orange shellac, sometimes called
amber, it will have a nice warm hue right away. If you use a clear
shellac, you'll see the pine darken and warm up with age.

You can apply almost any finish over shellac, including lacquer,
oil-based varnish, and water-based finishes. You can apply
water-based finishes like a wiping varnish, use a cloth pad,
wipe it on accross the grain and then rub it with the grain
to smooth it out. Sand lightly between coats and you may want
to rub the top coat with 0000 synthetic steel wool. A varnish
over shellac will protect the shellac from water damage. The
water-based finishes dry so fast they do not cloud the shellac
underneath.

--

FF