Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Protecting Redwood from Sun

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look into Penofin line of oil stains

On Apr 21, 2:52*pm, "W" wrote:
I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. * What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:52:26 -0700, "W"
wrote:

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

The best method is with exterior paint. Most people just allow the
redwood to gray with age. Flood makes a UV product I use on my
redwood furniture. It goes on milky, dries in about a week, tools
clean up with soap and water.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-21, W wrote:
I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

Move to Seattle!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote in message
I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

I hate to say this but the best way would be with , paint. Any thing that
lets you see the wood lets the wood see the sun. There are good products
out there but you should build so that it can be restained, oiled, or
varnished "easily", every 2 to 5 years. Easily so that you will actually
do it as needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 6:28*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"W" wrote in message

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. * What is the best way to seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

I hate to say this but the best way would be with , * paint. *Any thing that
lets you see the wood lets the wood see the sun. *There are good products
out there but you should build so that it can be restained, oiled, or
varnished "easily", *every 2 to 5 years. *Easily so that you will actually
do it as needed.

Epifanes High Gloss Marine Varnish got top ratings in FWW this month.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote:

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to
seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

Paint.

If you choose some type of clear coat, it's survival will be somewhat
less than your ability to pee up a rope.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Penofin oil. I've coated a couple of Spanish cedar and mahogany items and
still looking good after 4 years. I may give them another coat this year

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't paint. It will not stick well and can harbor problems under it.

Why protect it ? - If you want to keep it from drying - look at deck
protecting.

The important thing is to isolate the feet from dirt.

End grain decays first.

We lived in redwood country - had a hundred tall (100-150') trees on
our place.

Martin

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"W" wrote:

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to
seal
the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

Paint.

If you choose some type of clear coat, it's survival will be somewhat
less than your ability to pee up a rope.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Don't paint. It will not stick well and can harbor problems under
it.

If you are talking about typical exterior house paint, I agree.

There is a coating that is called a "stain". if I remember correctly,
that is used on cedar shake siding.

Lower viscosity than house paint.

These days, I don't even know if it is still available.

Why protect it ?

I agree.

- If you want to keep it from drying - look at deck
protecting.

Those coatings are a total waste of time IMHO.

The important thing is to isolate the feet from dirt.

Yep.

End grain decays first.

Yep.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are two types of Penofin, the regular (80% or something) and the
'ultra" which is 90+% blockage.

It's been a while, best look at their web site and see.
I am protecting a redwood patio with the non-ultra stuff and so far so good
(4 years). The only local place that sells it refuses to order any of the
better protection stuff.

-BR

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:03:45 -0600, Ed Pawlowski wrote
(in article ):