BeerBoy

Default Wipe on poly advice ... again

Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these or will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to apply
it?
Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

Rob Stokes

Put it on, wait a few minutes, wipe ot off. Wait a few hours and repeat.
Repeat. Repeat Etc.... On the last coat, you can leave it "thick" and scuff
it (320grit) later before you wax it OR....keep adding coats by wipe-on,
wipe-off.

Good luck
Rob

--

******PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW EMAIL ADDRESS******

Please visit our (recently updated) web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these or

will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to

apply
it?
Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

Toller

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
Put it on, wait a few minutes, wipe ot off. Wait a few hours and repeat.
Repeat. Repeat Etc.... On the last coat, you can leave it "thick" and

scuff
it (320grit) later before you wax it OR....keep adding coats by wipe-on,
wipe-off.

Now that is interesting; I have always heard that you should sand between
every coat (or every two coats), but have never done it or understood what
would be gained from it.

You are the first person I have heard say otherwise.

(Maybe this will start a lively debate)

Leon

With Most oil or water based varnishes, it is advisable to lightly sand
between coats if the surface had dried and hardened. The sanding provides a
better surface that the next coat will adhere to. If the surface is hot too
hard or dried, the next coat will tend to stick just fine. Most directions
with these products recommend to let the coat dry thoroughly before applying
the next and sanding between the coats.
Sanding or steel wooling after the last coat can reduce the shine if you
want a more satin finish.

"Toller" wrote in message

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
Put it on, wait a few minutes, wipe ot off. Wait a few hours and repeat.
Repeat. Repeat Etc.... On the last coat, you can leave it "thick" and

scuff
it (320grit) later before you wax it OR....keep adding coats by wipe-on,
wipe-off.

Now that is interesting; I have always heard that you should sand between
every coat (or every two coats), but have never done it or understood what
would be gained from it.

You are the first person I have heard say otherwise.

(Maybe this will start a lively debate)

BeerBoy

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
BeerBoy wrote:

Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot

of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these or

will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to

apply
it?

400 wet-dry, wet with paint thinner.

Do I do this after the last coat? Will this remove the swirl marks?

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:38:49 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You are the first person I have heard say otherwise.

I've said the same, with a caveat.

It depends on how long the last coat has dried. Read the can, most
allow a recoating "window" where you don't need to scuff sand. After
the window ends, scuffing is required.

Barry
Mike G

Wipe on or Gel?

If it is a gel I can't help you, never used one. If you are talking a
thinned varnish, thin coats, don't try to do the job with only one or two.
Four or five is better.

In any case, especially with a varnish, don't bury problems in more coats.
hey will sure as hell come back and bite you in the ass later.

It's far easier to get the problem out when it is exposed rather then having
to cut through three or four coats to bet at it.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"BeerBoy" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these or

will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to

apply
it?
Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

George

Do it between. By the time you run the last coat on, you should have as
level a surface as you can. I've found that making the last coat the
thickest is a good plan. Drag a well-wetted rag and _don't touch_ after
that. This will give you a thick enough final coat to rub or buff if you
want to, and hopefully not cut through and leave ghosts.

Remember that if you don't "tooth" evenly, your next coat can have holes in
it as the finish draws back from the super slick areas. Make sure you can
see scratches all over the surface.

BeerBoy wrote:

Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot

of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these

or
will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to

apply
it?

400 wet-dry, wet with paint thinner.

Do I do this after the last coat? Will this remove the swirl marks?

Young_carpenter

if you lightly sand it may help.
I have never had swirl problems. When I used wipe on rubbed it in to the
project not just wiped it on. I also was using it on a walnut project so
the color may have had something to do with it.

--

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm using wipe on poly for the first time and seem to be getting a lot

of
visible swirl marks after it is dry. Do I need to worry about these

or
will
I be able to buff them out on the last coat? Is there a better way to

apply
it?
Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

Rob Stokes

If you let it dry for a few days (verse hours), sand. If the top "skin"
isn't fully set, you'll end up with a layering more in keeping with shellac
(though not a total melt/co-join)

Rob

--

"Toller" wrote in message

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
Put it on, wait a few minutes, wipe ot off. Wait a few hours and repeat.
Repeat. Repeat Etc.... On the last coat, you can leave it "thick" and

scuff
it (320grit) later before you wax it OR....keep adding coats by wipe-on,
wipe-off.

Now that is interesting; I have always heard that you should sand between
every coat (or every two coats), but have never done it or understood what
would be gained from it.

You are the first person I have heard say otherwise.

(Maybe this will start a lively debate)

Eric Lund

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:38:49 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

You are the first person I have heard say otherwise.

I've said the same, with a caveat.

It depends on how long the last coat has dried. Read the can, most
allow a recoating "window" where you don't need to scuff sand. After
the window ends, scuffing is required.

Barry

I've seen this on the water based poly I recently used. The basis is that
if the finish fully cures and you apply another coat without sanding, poly
won't make a bond with cured poly. You need to sand it to provide some
"tooth" for the finish to grab onto.

Cheers,
Eric