DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/274128-dewalt-dw733-planer-%2Athunk%2A-update-question.html)

[email protected] March 23rd 09 02:06 PM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

After replacing the drive chain with a stiff link in it last week, and
reassembled the planer, I ran a few test boards through. First one
went through ok. Second one, the planer resumed its "thunk thunk
thunk" leaving divots. This time I completely disassembled the planer
and found bushing for the roller in the exit side of the planer was
almost completely worn through. In fact, there was a stress crack in
one side of the bushing. I could probably peel open the bushing if I
tried! I guess the stiff link in the chain caused the spindle to pull
up & down until it wore the bushing out?

The amazing thing is that I have not run that many board feet through
the planer. Doing more research, it appears this is not an isolated
incident for these bushings to fail - they appear to be aluminum?

In any case my question is: since I am replacing the bushings, I
probably should replace the rollers/spindles as well, right? Since (I
would think) they would both wear evenly, particularly the one in the
back that wore through the bushing?

Cheers,
Dukester

Lee Michaels March 23rd 09 02:28 PM

" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a bearing supply place close to you?? If so, bring in the old
bushing and show it to them. They can replace it with something much
better. This is a common upgrade to many tools out there.

I had a friend who had a Craftman sander that had the bushings/bearings go
out on him. He brought it in to the bearing place and the guy picked it and
looked at it. He said, "Craftman sander?" He had seen it before, obviously.

Anyway, bearings/bushings are standard parts. They just put the cheap ones
in to reduce cost. DO NOT replace it with the same junk! Get something
good. Nuff said. End of rant. ;)

Steve Turner March 23rd 09 02:29 PM

wrote:
[...]

Gawd I hate it when manufacturers use bushings instead of bearings!
It's nothing more than a cost cutting measure, and there is no way a
brass or aluminum bushing is going to last anywhere near as long as a
good sealed ball or roller bearing.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

[email protected] March 23rd 09 02:32 PM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. Good idea
though..wish I hadn't already ordered new ones from Dewalt...dang.

dpb March 23rd 09 02:40 PM

wrote:
Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. ...

yellow pages -- good folks to know...

dpb March 23rd 09 02:41 PM

Steve Turner wrote:
Gawd I hate it when manufacturers use bushings instead of bearings! It's
nothing more than a cost cutting measure, and there is no way a brass or
aluminum bushing is going to last anywhere near as long as a good sealed
ball or roller bearing.

Think???

But you're talking about a $300 portable consumer tool in a competitive
market where price is king...

Lee Michaels March 23rd 09 02:47 PM

" wrote in message
Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. Good idea
though..wish I hadn't already ordered new ones from Dewalt...dang.

Do you have a bearing supply place close to you?? If so, bring in the old
bushing and show it to them. They can replace it with something much
better. This is a common upgrade to many tools out there.

You still should be able to find something online. And you may have
somebody close. These guys are in the shadows. And as Steve pointed out,
you can replace a bushing with a bearing. I would seriously consider
returning the bushings ordered and put in something of quality
construction/materials. The current model is a piece of junk, obviously.

Don't think repair. Think upgrade.

[email protected] March 23rd 09 02:54 PM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

As to my original question...shouldn't the spindle/rollers be replaced
with new ones as well? I always thought it was better to replace both
co-joining parts rather than half?

Lee Michaels March 23rd 09 02:56 PM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

"dpb" wrote
wrote:
Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. ...

yellow pages -- good folks to know...

Yep, back in the day, pre bearing house, I had a number of complicated
projects going. I had a friend who dragged me to a bearing supply house. It
was like the sunshine coming out. They helped me so much.

I went on to design a number of complicated rehab type machines. I was way
over my head on these things. I would bring in some parts and do a little
show and tell on their countertop. Theywould ask a few very probing.
intelligent questions. Then they disappeared into the back and brought out
some parts in boxes. I would buy the parts, go home and magically this
thing would go together. They saved my ass again and again. For design and
prototyping work, these guys are an invaluable resource.

Since that day, I have probably brought 40 - 50 people to them. Have to
carry on the traditions, ya know!

dpb March 23rd 09 04:50 PM

wrote:
As to my original question...shouldn't the spindle/rollers be replaced
with new ones as well? I always thought it was better to replace both
co-joining parts rather than half?

Maybe, maybe not. Inspect them; if the bushings are soft and the
spindle axles are hard the wear in the axles is probably insignificant.
W/O looking, I'd guess it's at least 50:50 if you went that far you
could just about replace the planer for the same price.

Doug S March 23rd 09 08:40 PM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

The bearings are a square cast, oil-impregnated material. They are not
available at a bearing supply house, they are DeWalt specific. Also, when
removing the bearing blocks, if you are replacing all four of them, notice
that only one of the bearings has a set of two springs on it. You must keep
these two springs on the same bearing location (the other three bearing
blocks only have one spring). If you don't, you could end up with more feed
problems.

Usually you don't need to replace the rollers unless there is an obvious
issue with them, such as deterioration or slippage.

Doug

[email protected] March 24th 09 03:06 AM

DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

Thanks, one of the rollers is pretty worn on the side that the bearing
failed. I'll make a point of making sure about the double spring.
I'm thinking now I'll fix it just to sell.

Cheers