Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help needed for Delta Contractor 34-410 saw

After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing is
so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin holding it
on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing
is so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin holding
it on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

The lock? Of does it not have an elevation lock? Or he simply insisted on
turning the handle in the wrong direction trying to lift the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:54:44 -0700, "Markndawoods"
wrote:

After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing is
so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin holding it
on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

I haven't had one lock completely but have had one get pretty hard to
turn.
There a couple of things that can be wrong.

The easiest fix is to remove something that might be stuck in the
gears that lift the blade.
Since that's probably not it, there is a a sleeve that the elevating
rod runs through. That sleeve can get full of gunk and pretty much
keep the shaft from turning. You can get to it on the blade side of
the front trunion. Try some WD40 (or something similar) and spray
where the shaft goes through the sleeve on the blade side and on the
crank side if you can get to it. Try turing the shaft a little as you
add lube. Use a lot of lube with the little spray tube. You're
trying to wash out anything that might be trapped in that sleeve. You
can probably get a new pin at an auto parts store but if not you can
use a couple of nuts (use them as jam nuts) to try to turn the shaft.
Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing
is so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin
holding it on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

The lock? Of does it not have an elevation lock? Or he simply insisted
on turning the handle in the wrong direction trying to lift the blade.

Hmmm, I wonder if this saw has a lock?! I don't even know? Got any ideas as
to where I would look????

The carriage or trunnian does not move, it's like it is frozen.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
. ..
After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The
thing is so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin
holding it on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

The lock? Of does it not have an elevation lock? Or he simply insisted
on turning the handle in the wrong direction trying to lift the blade.

Hmmm, I wonder if this saw has a lock?! I don't even know? Got any ideas
as to where I would look????

Well I am not familiar with your particular saw however the most common
location is a knob in the middle of the crank wheel. I think you would have
noticed that. ;~) Some contractors saws had a clamp type lock for the
blade tilt.

Perhaps the gear has a broken tooth that may be jammed in the rack. Some of
those parts are not too well made.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 12:54*am, "Markndawoods" wrote:
After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing is
so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin holding it
on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

As was already said make sure the small knob on the lift wheel is
loose and look for something broken inside.

The mechanism on the saw isn't great, mine (Jet) worked like crap
brand new. but I found a fix for it. The site no longer exists but
thanks to the WayBack machine you can still get to it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200310072...uk/jetfix.html

The instructions are long and are for adjusting slop but you should be
able to follow them to fix your problem.

Good luck and post back what ended up being the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

Good explanation page. On mine, a 9" Delta Contractor (I don't have the
model number handy) saw which was in my under-deck shop, the elevator shaft
rusted along with the eccentric and froze up. No amount of soaking in
whatever chemical I tried did any good. It sure was an education in the
workings of that type of mechanism, though. Because that particular saw was
over 20 years out of production, that specific part was not available. My
fix? A new saw. (frown!)

Ed