DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is Zinnser's SealCoat just blond shellac? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/273925-zinnsers-sealcoat-just-blond-shellac.html)

[email protected] March 20th 09 11:55 PM

Is Zinnser's SealCoat just blond shellac?

I need some dewaxed blond shellac for a birdseye mable panel. Is
Zinnser SealCoat simply
100% dewaxed blond shellac, or are there flattening agents in there as
well?

John Grossbohlin[_2_] March 21st 09 12:15 AM

wrote in message
I need some dewaxed blond shellac for a birdseye mable panel. Is
Zinnser SealCoat simply
100% dewaxed blond shellac, or are there flattening agents in there as
well?

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=72

It's just dewaxed shellac... I'm using it right now on a project and it
isn't materially adding color.

John

Nova March 21st 09 12:23 AM

wrote:
I need some dewaxed blond shellac for a birdseye mable panel. Is
Zinnser SealCoat simply
100% dewaxed blond shellac, or are there flattening agents in there as
well?

From Zinnser's web site:

"SealCoat offers the timesaving versatility of refined shellac in a
pre-mixed 2 lb. cut 100% wax-free formula."

IIRC, Zinnser makes no claim to it being "blond" as the color may vary
depending on their source, time of year, and what the lac bug happened
to be feeding on.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Larry Blanchard March 21st 09 04:25 PM

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:23:20 +0000, Nova wrote:

wrote:
I need some dewaxed blond shellac for a birdseye mable panel. Is
Zinnser SealCoat simply
100% dewaxed blond shellac, or are there flattening agents in there as
well?

IIRC, Zinnser makes no claim to it being "blond" as the color may vary
depending on their source, time of year, and what the lac bug happened
to be feeding on.

In addition, it's not pure shellac as Zinnser adds something to keep it
good for 2-3 years. Don't know what the something is.