Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help locating table lift

Some kind of a table lift, possibly scissor type. It's use will be for a
model railroad layout. I want to slide it under a bed and when it's pulled
out it can be raised to about table height kinda like an ironing board. It
needs to be assisted somehow, pnuematics possibly, and a little more heavy
duty and stable than the ironing board legs. The size board it would need to
hold would be about 36" wide and 75" long. Googling isn't helping, maybe
don't quite know what to google for. All I'm coming up with is Heavy duty
industrial stuff. Thanks, appreciate your help.

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message
Some kind of a table lift, possibly scissor type. It's use will be for a
model railroad layout. I want to slide it under a bed and when it's pulled
out it can be raised to about table height kinda like an ironing board. It
needs to be assisted somehow, pnuematics possibly, and a little more heavy
duty and stable than the ironing board legs. The size board it would need
to hold would be about 36" wide and 75" long. Googling isn't helping,
maybe don't quite know what to google for. All I'm coming up with is Heavy
duty industrial stuff. Thanks, appreciate your help.

I have built these before, Some flat iron, a few holes, some
bearings/bushings and a top/bottom, you are in business. The ones I built
used an air cylinder to assist the lifting. I just pumped thehandle. I have
also seen them built with a small hydraulic jack for lifting power.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message

Some kind of a table lift, possibly scissor type. It's use will be for a
model railroad layout. I want to slide it under a bed and when it's pulled
out it can be raised to about table height kinda like an ironing board. It
needs to be assisted somehow, pnuematics possibly, and a little more heavy
duty and stable than the ironing board legs. The size board it would need
to hold would be about 36" wide and 75" long. Googling isn't helping,
maybe don't quite know what to google for. All I'm coming up with is Heavy
duty industrial stuff. Thanks, appreciate your help.

Harbor Freight has a 500 Lb. Capacity Hydraulic Lift Table selling for $170.

Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Paul wrote:
Some kind of a table lift, possibly scissor type. It's use will be for a
model railroad layout. I want to slide it under a bed and when it's
pulled out it can be raised to about table height kinda like an ironing
board. It needs to be assisted somehow, pnuematics possibly, and a
little more heavy duty and stable than the ironing board legs. The size
board it would need to hold would be about 36" wide and 75" long.

What're the folded height and weight requirements? Seems like it might
be hard to find something prefab that would be low enough and still
rugged enough which is why I'd be thinking you're having trouble finding
anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Paul wrote:
Some kind of a table lift, possibly scissor type. It's use will be for a
model railroad layout. I want to slide it under a bed and when it's
pulled out it can be raised to about table height kinda like an ironing
board. It needs to be assisted somehow, pnuematics possibly, and a little
more heavy duty and stable than the ironing board legs. The size board it
would need to hold would be about 36" wide and 75" long.

What're the folded height and weight requirements? Seems like it might be
hard to find something prefab that would be low enough and still rugged
enough which is why I'd be thinking you're having trouble finding
anything.

--

There is 15" of clearance, less what a platform and casters would take away.
The table will be a 36"X80" lightweight door from Lowes. Shouldn't be an

--
Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote:

There is 15" of clearance, less what a platform and casters would
take away.
The table will be a 36"X80" lightweight door from Lowes. Shouldn't
be an awful lot of weight involved.

Go to a hobby shop and get a magazine, "The Model Railroad that grows"
or something close.

It's been around for at least 40 years.

It describes starting with a basic HO christmas present set and how it
can grow.

As I remember, lots of good ideas for a table structure that will
provide a lot more flexibility than a door.

I copied their ideas for a table that was basically an open framework.

Simple and straight forward.

Lew