DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Riving knives/splitters and such (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/273814-riving-knives-splitters-such.html)

Mike March 19th 09 10:16 AM

Riving knives/splitters and such

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

marc rosen March 19th 09 11:10 AM

On Mar 19, 6:16*am, Mike wrote:
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

Hey Mike,
It would work as a splitter only but not as a riving knife. I had a
similar discussion with two woodworkers at a local hardwood dealer and
we concluded that the importance of the riving knife is that it keeps
the same distance from the blade regardless of blade height and it not
protrude above the height of the blade. (The latter is for
convenience and not for anti-kickback reasons.) Like most table saws,
the splitter is only close to the blade when the blade is highest.
I'm not familiar with most riving knife saws but the one's I've seen
mount the knife on the trunion/arbor mount/ height adjustment doo-
hickey (fill in the proper term) so the knife moves with the blade.
Marc

Doug Miller March 19th 09 12:25 PM

In article , Mike wrote:
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

*Resembling* a riving knife, certainly.

What benefit do you hope to derive from doing this?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

Depends on how you define "work". One key difference is that a true riving
knife moves up and down as the blade is raised and lowered, whereas a splitter
does not -- and hence your intended faux-riving knife won't either. In other
words, you'll still have to remove it to cut grooves, dados, or rabbets.

And you'll have no blade guard, unless you buy (or build) an over-arm guard of
some sort.

Seems to me that your plan combines the disadvantages of both setups, with few
(if any) of the advantages of either.

Mike March 19th 09 12:34 PM

Riving knives/splitters and such

Depends on how you define "work". One key difference is that a true riving
knife moves up and down as the blade is raised and lowered, whereas a splitter
does not -- and hence your intended faux-riving knife won't either. In other
words, you'll still have to remove it to cut grooves, dados, or rabbets.

And you'll have no blade guard, unless you buy (or build) an over-arm guard of
some sort.

Seems to me that your plan combines the disadvantages of both setups, with few
(if any) of the advantages of either.

Yeah, I suppose that's true - I was looking at this as a slightly
better option than nothing at all. Most blade guard/splitters on new
saws are such crap that they are not worth using (yes, that's
debatable, and I wasn't looking to start that discussion...) Maybe I'd
be better to phrase this as taking a splitter that would otherwise
never get used, and reducing it to something smaller/more elegant that
would still serve to prevent a workpiece from pinching behind the
blade. A better, although not free, implementation of this would be
one of the table inserts that has a small splitter.

Lately, I've been seeing a bunch of saws that have a 'riving knife',
but one that does not move up/down along with the blade. From what
I've read, new model saws are going to be required to have a riving
knife in order to get UL listing. I wonder if the fixed position
knives are an inexpensive way to comply with the new UL regulation.

Larry[_7_] March 19th 09 02:24 PM

UL approval

"Len" wrote in
:

If it's "fixed position", then it's not a riving knife and
shouldn't meet UL, or anyone else's, standards for the way
a riving knife is supposed to work.

Len

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

Leon March 19th 09 02:33 PM

UL approval

"Larry" wrote in message

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

IIRC all saws have to have this standard by a certain future date.

Nova March 19th 09 02:47 PM

UL approval

Larry wrote:
"Len" wrote in
:

If it's "fixed position", then it's not a riving knife and
shouldn't meet UL, or anyone else's, standards for the way
a riving knife is supposed to work.

Len

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

What type is inspector? I've never know an electrical inspector to get
involve with that is going to be plugged into an outlet.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Steve Turner March 19th 09 02:49 PM

Mike wrote:
[...]

What kind of saw do you have? Most of the stock "splitters" I've seen
are made of metal that's much thinner than the blade, and that doesn't
really do a hell of a lot to prevent binding when the wood is coming
back together behind the cut. A good splitter or riving knife really
needs to be a RCH shy of the actual blade thickness to be safe and
effective.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Larry[_7_] March 19th 09 02:50 PM

UL approval

Nova wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
"Len" wrote in
:

[...]

Apparently the electrical inspector. The homeowner hired the
electrician to install the air cleaner, including the
installation of the new circuit.

Larry Blanchard March 19th 09 04:05 PM

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:25:46 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Depends on how you define "work". One key difference is that a true
riving knife moves up and down as the blade is raised and lowered,
whereas a splitter does not -- and hence your intended faux-riving knife
won't either. In other words, you'll still have to remove it to cut
grooves, dados, or rabbets.

I knew there was another reason I liked my antique Delta where the table
goes up and down instead of the blade. Now where can I fasten my
homemade riving knife? Hmmmm....

SonomaProducts.com March 19th 09 06:59 PM

Riving knives/splitters and such

Haven't seen the RCH reference in a hundred years. Brings back sweet
memories. I wonder if the kids use that contraction on their IM chats?

To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/- Hide quoted text -

LRod[_2_] March 19th 09 08:11 PM

UL approval

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:24:10 GMT, Larry wrote:

"Len" wrote in
:

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Just as a nit picking point of interest, UL does not "approve." The
laboratory was instituted by a consortium of insurers to test products
for which they would accept liablilty to ensure they had a certain
level of safety. Thus "Underwriters" and "Laboratories."

They test products to verify that they meet a certain standard of
insulation or other safety concerns and publish those meeting the
appropriate standards on a list. Hence, the proper phrase is "UL
Listed."

Back to lurking.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

[email protected] March 20th 09 03:21 AM

UL approval

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:47:22 GMT, Nova wrote:

Larry wrote:
"Len" wrote in
:

If it's "fixed position", then it's not a riving knife and
shouldn't meet UL, or anyone else's, standards for the way
a riving knife is supposed to work.

Len

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

What type is inspector? I've never know an electrical inspector to get
involve with that is going to be plugged into an outlet.

Not plugged in, but definitely on a hard-wire.

Ed Pawlowski March 20th 09 10:41 AM

UL approval

wrote in message
This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

What type is inspector? I've never know an electrical inspector to get
involve with that is going to be plugged into an outlet.

Not plugged in, but definitely on a hard-wire.

That is why the inspector should never be called for a single line like
that. Or have him inspect the line and wire in the appliance later.

10x March 20th 09 10:55 AM

Riving knives/splitters and such

In article
,
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Haven't seen the RCH reference in a hundred years. Brings back sweet
memories. I wonder if the kids use that contraction on their IM chats?

Actually, back in my teaching days, I used to teach measurement
increments down to the LRCH level :-)

Joe
aka 10x

Jim Weisgram[_2_] March 20th 09 02:53 PM

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 03:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

Should work. There's the "Shark splitter" that goes with the "Shark
guard" that does something like what you describe.

http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

Steve Turner March 20th 09 05:06 PM

Jim Weisgram wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 03:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

Should work. There's the "Shark splitter" that goes with the "Shark
guard" that does something like what you describe.

http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

Hey, that guy stole my idea! For years I've been using homemade
splitters on my Unisaw that are similar the one shown in those photos.
But mine are better. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!

Martin H. Eastburn March 21st 09 01:50 AM

UL approval

To get UL - you have to send SEVERAL machines to them. They run
destructive and non-destructive testing on then and test against known
documentations they have on like equipment.

Big company or tiny product - no real issue. How about taking the
first three off a line and saying bye bye - with money and time and
not see a penny. You might get cleared - you might get a list of things
to fix and re-submit.

Martin

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:47:22 GMT, Nova wrote:

Larry wrote:
"Len" wrote in
:

Markem March 21st 09 02:21 AM

UL approval

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:50:41 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

To get UL - you have to send SEVERAL machines to them. They run
destructive and non-destructive testing on then and test against known
documentations they have on like equipment.

Big company or tiny product - no real issue. How about taking the
first three off a line and saying bye bye - with money and time and
not see a penny. You might get cleared - you might get a list of things
to fix and re-submit.

Or you change as to what you want from UL. I worked in the explosive
environment lab in North brook. Gould submitted a motor with lead
which barely met the current requirements of the motor it did not pass
as it was a bit hot for a grain elevator environment. They did not
resubmit the motor.

Mark