Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Melamine sheets at Home Depot

Doug Miller wrote:
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x
97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find
an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to buy a
couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they showed me the
melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x
97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find
an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to buy a
couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they showed me the
melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

Melamine PB is a low-pressure laminate, while Formica and the like are
high-pressure laminate.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x
97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find
an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to buy a
couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they showed me the
melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

The first (and only) time I saw 3/4" in stock it was leftover from
another customer's (large) special order. It was a one time deal, and
apparently as not something that's kept on hand (at my big-box stores
anyway).

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking
about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that
could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick.
I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it
could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off....

Particleboard is available in a range of thicknesses, 3/4" is a common
size. Wikipedia has a decent article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board

MDF and particleboard are both available in a wide range of panel sizes
and thicknesses. Around here, melamine-covered panels (for use in
kitchen cabinets, for instance) are generally made from particleboard,
not MDF.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 16, 4:45 pm, "CW" wrote:
On 16-Mar-2009, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97
sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an
employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

My local HD got rid of their 4x8 panels last fall. However, Menards still
carries them.

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking
about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that
could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick.
I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it
could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off....

It's not MDF and it is 3/4" thick. It's the particle board that you
find under the pictures of wood in crappy furniture. The HD's around
here have always had it, at least in the 2'x4' quarter sheets, never
looked for the full sheets. But then I haven't been in there in a
couple years.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16-Mar-2009, Chris Friesen wrote:

CW wrote:

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking
about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that
could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick.
I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it
could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off....

Particleboard is available in a range of thicknesses, 3/4" is a common
size. Wikipedia has a decent article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board

MDF and particleboard are both available in a wide range of panel sizes
and thicknesses. Around here, melamine-covered panels (for use in
kitchen cabinets, for instance) are generally made from particleboard,
not MDF.

Thanks for the link and the info, Chris.

Again, I had it in my head I knew what he was talking about: EITHER the stuff I
mentioned, OR the 1/8" - 3/16" thick sheets of paneling (MDF hardboard) clad
one side in melamine, like is used in low-cost shower installs. I wasn't
thinking covered particle board. But ONLY because I'd never seen the big-box
stores here carry such a thing.

Suppose you could say I was unable to think outside the box.... ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x
97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find
an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to
buy a couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they
showed me the melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

Melamine PB is a low-pressure laminate, while Formica and the like are
high-pressure laminate.

Chris

Yes, I know. I didn't want the mel board, wanted laminate...my point was
that the HD employee thought mel board was laminate; therefore, it is
possible that...

Oh, nevermind

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , CW wrote:
(Doug Miller)wrote:

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97
sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an
employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't
any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

And they weren't any help at the pro desk?

Mighta been... if there had been anyone there. :-(

I ordered a couple sheets awhile back from Lowe's....

Thanks, didn't know they carried it. I'll check there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x
97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find
an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site
isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?
No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to
buy a couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they
showed me the melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

Melamine PB is a low-pressure laminate, while Formica and the like are
high-pressure laminate.

Chris

Yes, I know. I didn't want the mel board, wanted laminate...my point was
that the HD employee thought mel board was laminate; therefore, it is
possible that...

Oh, nevermind

I know what you meant, I'm just not sure it would help. If I asked for
"laminate" I'd be worried about being pointed to the flooring
department.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Well, if you are you are. Won't be the last time you'll wander all over a
Home Depot looking for something that nobody can find.

Wanted a particular kind of Y hose fitting one day. Went into Lowes,
everybody I asked referred me to a different department, finally the manager
told me that they didn't have such a thing. So I went out to the car,
cranked up my laptop, ordered it online from that store, had lunch, went
back after lunch, and they had it waiting for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
[...]

Once upon a time..
I ran across sheets of 3/4" MDF (clad 2 sides in melamine) at Lowes.
I'd never seen it in stock before. It seemed like it'd save time. I
figured I'd use it for table tops, cabinets, shelves, etc for the
shop/garage." And so I bought a couple sheets. Since then, I've used
it for fixtures, wheeled cabinets, and various cross-cut sleds as
well.

Last time I was in Home Depot they had a stack of 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch
particle board, not MDF, with melamine on both sides. It was right next to
the UV maple plywood and the cut sheets.

Now, finding melamine faced MDF around here is another story . . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:37:13 GMT, Doug Miller cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97 sheets,
but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an employee who knows
what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

There is no stock number (or SKU) once the product is discontinued.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
DT DT is offline

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

Looking it up on my Worksite CD, the SKU is 461877, the price is $31.67.

Seems to be a discontinued SKU. How old is your Worksite CD?

Well, I just updated the current prices and it is still listed. The Worksite
CD is store specific, so perhaps the melamine is available in some areas?

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 16, 11:47*pm, Mike Marlow wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:37:13 GMT, Doug Miller cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97 sheets,
but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an employee who knows
what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

There is no stock number (or SKU) once the product is discontinued.

--

-Mike-

That crap is 80 gram melamine at best.
Buy the 120 gram from a distributor. Direct. Cheaper, better, and 49 x
97.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 17, 2:39*pm, "CW" wrote:

None that I can think of. *But then that was made abundantly clear yesterday.
Thanks though for making me feel even more like a dip**** than I already do. *

Don't feel like a dip****. That is my job i here. We are surrounded by
a multitude of diverse talent. There is never just one answer. just a
whole smorgasbord of opinions. They are all wrong. I am the only one
that is ever right.
Now, what was your question?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:37:13 -0600, Doug Miller wrote
(in article ):

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97
sheets,
but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an employee who
knows
what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

I haven't seen the full sheets for a while at the local box stores (Abq NM
area), but I recently bought a few sheets at the local HW supplier ($27/sheet
for white 3/4")

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 17, 2:39*pm, "CW" wrote:
On 17-Mar-2009, (Doug Miller) wrote:

"CW" wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97
sheets,

[...]

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking
about. *Perhaps he needs to clarify.

Reference original post above -- what further clarification is needed?

None that I can think of. *But then that was made abundantly clear yesterday.
Thanks though for making me feel even more like a dip**** than I already do. *

Just do not reproduce you ****ing idiot.

Exterminate the christian government
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:57:09 -0700, Hiccum Blurpaedius wrote:

[not much]

Has anyone else noticed that those who post under "cutesy" names (or
nyms) seem to post the most profane and useless responses?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hiccum Blurpaedius wrote:

Just do not reproduce you ****ing idiot.

Exterminate the christian government

No. No. No. THIS is *rec.woodworking* You want *alt.origami.foilhats*
It's over that away =======

Better hurry! They're just about out of Koolaid.....