Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone got a Grizzly G0690/G0691?

If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their
opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and
their other cabinet saws have reviewed well...

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:02:17 GMT, "Anon" wrote:

If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their
opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and
their other cabinet saws have reviewed well...

I looked seriously at them a few weeks ago, but Amazon had the Unisaw
w/50" Biesemeyer fence for 100$ more than the G0691. SWMBO didn't
object too much, soo... It's still sitting in the garage on the
pallet (have to add a sub panel and 220V circuit first).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:02:17 GMT, "Anon" wrote:

If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their
opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and
their other cabinet saws have reviewed well...

Thanks.

Grizzly will give you the names of any local owners, for you to see
the saw (with the owner's permission, of course).

Fine Woodworking compared new table saws with riving knives, and
included the G0651 (not the G0690/1).

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011202048.pdf

However, it appears the G0690/1 has quick release for the riving knife
and blade guard.

Here's a link to the Grizzly manual that describes the saw:
http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0691_m.pdf

Based on what the article used for criteria, I think it would have
rated the newer Grizzlies "very good" the riving knife setup and
switch-out simplicity.

The blade guard on the G0650/1 was rated "good" and "user friendly",
but the guard on the G0690/1 looks to be different. I'd rate the blade
guard on my G1023 as "fair", the new one looks better from the photos.

The motor is a Leeson, which is a good thing IMO.

Here's some chatter on a forum from someone who has one.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...s b=5&o=&vc=1

And comments from the Grizzly Pres on some questions that were asked:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...4&postcount=11

Posted to rec.woodworking

I posted a couple of weeks ago a request for opinions from anyone who had
seen both these and the other "new" (some months older) 0651 saw with riving
knife. I pointed out that the 691 is made in China while the 651 is from
Taiwan, and nobody has responded to anything but the general perceptions of
quality from those sources. I get the impression nobody has seen the 690/691
even in Grizzly stores!
I have spent a lot of hours looking closely at the manuals and the parts
diagrams for these saws, and am thinking seriously of ordering the 691. But
one thing that does bother me is that the 690/691 are stated to draw much
less current than other saws also called 3Hp saws. Manufacturers (notably
Sears!) lie a lot about horsepower, but there are still the underlying rules
of physics that say a real horsepower requires so many watts, so, allowing
for inefficiencies, a saw that really deserves to be called 3Hp has to draw
at least that much electrical power. I find it hard to believe the 690/691
have motors that are really more than 20% more efficient than other 3Hp
saws...
Looking closely at the specs and the pictures in the manuals (available
online from Grizzly), the 690/691 do have some of the highly touted features
of the new Delta cabinet saws. For example, the blade is set further back so
there is much more room on the table in front of it. The 690/691 (but not
the 651) have gears that help move the riving knife or the guard up and
down, so it does not just follow the arbor: Since the riving knife is
farther from the pivot point, without that gearing the knife would move up
and down faster than the blade. So that looks like another good point to the
690/691. Like the new Delta, the actual cast iron table is narrower than
previous saws but the difference is made up in the extensions. But I would
like to get more data, and so far nobody seems to have any!
Bob Wilson
"Anon" wrote in message
If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their
opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and
their other cabinet saws have reviewed well...

Thanks.

Grizzly DRO on Grizzly square column mill/drill Carl McIver Metalworking 1 October 18th 07 01:35 AM
Grizzly Lynn Coffelt Woodturning 2 May 12th 05 02:34 PM
grizzly Tim Wiley Woodturning 6 August 18th 04 04:23 AM
Now it is Grizzly VS. Delta was...Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 5 February 3rd 04 12:17 AM
Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 12 January 19th 04 04:47 PM