Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood Supply

Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty" wrote in message
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway around
the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Marty" wrote in message
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway around
the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marty wrote:
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

I think the usual course of action would be to buy it rough and resaw it.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Marty" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Marty" wrote in message
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway
around
the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

okay, big state.

where in texas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty" wrote in message

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

If you were in or close to Houston I could name three places on the
northwest side alone.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marty wrote:
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

Yes.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Marty" wrote in message
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and
exotic
hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway
around
the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

sarcasm mode on

If it's Texas, just wait for the next big flood. And pick your lumber out
of the debris piles.

sarcasm mode off

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships
use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff
we used to get years ago overseas.

Just an idea.

Martin

Chris Friesen wrote:
Marty wrote:
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and
exotic hardwood?

I think the usual course of action would be to buy it rough and resaw it.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships
use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff
we used to get years ago overseas.

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to Africa
to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to return he bought a
whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it carefully made into
extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to return his household goods, and
by carefully I mean he plotted out every screw and nail hole. Of course
when he got back he dismantled the crates and stacked the wood on racks,
he's still building stuff out of it all these years later. I hate to think
what some of those slabs are worth today.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Marty" wrote in message

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

If you were in or close to Houston I could name three places on the
northwest side alone.

Dave in Houston

How about in El Paso?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 2:40*pm, "Marty" wrote:
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and exotic
hardwood?

I like Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas. They're on the web. Ask for
Tom (it's not me).

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:230220092251301502%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , DGDevin
wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships
use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff
we used to get years ago overseas.

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to
Africa
to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to return he bought
whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it carefully made into
extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to return his household goods,
and
by carefully I mean he plotted out every screw and nail hole. Of course
when he got back he dismantled the crates and stacked the wood on racks,
he's still building stuff out of it all these years later. I hate to
think
what some of those slabs are worth today.

Brilliant! _ing Brilliant!

There used to be a couple places up the street from me that put out pallets
for people to take. Not any more. But I would cut them up for firewood.
Then I noticed that some of them were unusually heavy and hard. The chainsaw
had difficulty cutting through them.

I began to cut the ends, nails, etc and save the good parts. I never knew
what kind of wood it was. Just that they came from all over the world and
some of the wood was wildly figured and unusally colored.

I had a pretty good stack of this and was contemplating projects for this
pile of mystery wood. Then one day a friend brought somebody by who
examined the pile and got very excited. He apparently knew about some of
this wood. Now this is the part where it gets surreal. He pulled some
money out of his pocket and started waving it around. He wanted to buy all
of it.

I figured I would just get more of this up the street. In a moment of
weakness, I took the cash. Then the folks up the street moved and my source
was no longer available. Oh, well.....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Dave Balderstone wrote in

wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Hum - know anyone down at the ship channel ? Some cargo ships
use exotic (foreign) wood to block and brace with. Some big stuff
we used to get years ago overseas.

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to
Africa to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to return
he bought a whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it
carefully made into extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to
return his household goods, and by carefully I mean he plotted out
every screw and nail hole. Of course when he got back he dismantled
the crates and stacked the wood on racks, he's still building stuff
out of it all these years later. I hate to think what some of those
slabs are worth today.

Brilliant! _ing Brilliant!

I still have some of the nice pine from the shipping crate some of our
stuff was shipped in from Holland. Until a few months ago some of it
served as the base of a window seat bench. Eventually I'll have used it
all up. Of course, this was just a pine container, not exotic wood.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
"Marty" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Marty" wrote in message
Anyone have a favorite source for 1/8, 1/4" and 3/8" domestic and
exotic
hardwood?

Unless you're planning on having it air shipped to you from halfway
around
the world, I suggest you indicate where approximately you live.

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

sarcasm mode on

If it's Texas, just wait for the next big flood. And pick your lumber out
of the debris piles.

Yeah, unfortunately there are no exotic hardwoods floating around in those
floods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty" wrote in message

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

If you were in or close to Houston I could name three places on the
northwest side alone.

Dave in Houston

Go ahead and name them. ;~) woodcraft, Austin Hardwoods maybe, and.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Marty" wrote in message

Sorry, I'm in Texas...

If you were in or close to Houston I could name three places on the
northwest side alone.

Dave in Houston

Go ahead and name them. ;~) woodcraft, Austin Hardwoods maybe, and.....

Mason Mill & Lumber on Tanner (east of Beltway 8 and Gessner)

Hardwoods of Houston (on W34 a couple of blocks north of Hwy. 290)

Hardwood Products (on Westside of Beltway 8 just north of Bison)

There's always the big place on 5th or 5-1/2 off Studewood

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Go ahead and name them. ;~) woodcraft, Austin Hardwoods maybe,
and.....

Mason Mill & Lumber on Tanner (east of Beltway 8 and Gessner)

Hardwoods of Houston (on W34 a couple of blocks north of Hwy. 290)

Hardwood Products (on Westside of Beltway 8 just north of Bison)

There's always the big place on 5th or 5-1/2 off Studewood

Dave in Houston

Some of them offer 1/8" 1/4" and 3/8" stock?

Anyway thanks, all these years and I have never been to Mason.

Hardwood products does not have anything less than 4/4 unless that has
happened in the last few months, same goes for Clarks in the Heights, that
big place. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some decades ago a pal of mine who is a fanatical woodworker went to
Africa to teach for two years, Tanzania. When he was about to
return he bought a whole bunch of real interesting wood, and had it
carefully made into extra-heavy-duty shipping crates in which to
return his household goods, and by carefully I mean he plotted out
every screw and nail hole. Of course when he got back he dismantled
the crates and stacked the wood on racks, he's still building stuff
out of it all these years later. I hate to think what some of those
slabs are worth today.

Brilliant! _ing Brilliant!

What surprised me is nobody in Customs thought to wonder why his crates were
made of 2" and 3" slabs of wood. I'd have expected them to charge him
import duty on hardwoods, but he got it all in under the radar just for the
cost of shipping. He brought back a lot of cool furniture too, his
seats-eight dining-room table is a slab of some African hardwood that must
be 4" thick, all hand-carved. Clever *******. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I have noticed that Wild Wood Designs is about half the cost of
Woodcraft. So I was wondering what other online sources you guys might favor
more than the other. I can get tons of wood over 1/2", but unfortunately I
don't have a planer and my re-sawing skills are weak. I guess now would be a
good time to improve on that...and/or get a planer.
Any tips?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marty wrote:
Well, I have noticed that Wild Wood Designs is about half the cost of
Woodcraft. So I was wondering what other online sources you guys might favor
more than the other. I can get tons of wood over 1/2", but unfortunately I
don't have a planer and my re-sawing skills are weak. I guess now would be a
good time to improve on that...and/or get a planer.
Any tips?

Advantage Lumber in Buffalo, NY sells thin domestic and exotic lumber.
Be advised that for shipping they have a minimum order requirement of
$100 per item.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/thinwood.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Go ahead and name them. ;~) woodcraft, Austin Hardwoods maybe,
and.....

Mason Mill & Lumber on Tanner (east of Beltway 8 and Gessner)

Hardwoods of Houston (on W34 a couple of blocks north of Hwy. 290)

Hardwood Products (on Westside of Beltway 8 just north of Bison)

There's always the big place on 5th or 5-1/2 off Studewood

Dave in Houston

Some of them offer 1/8" 1/4" and 3/8" stock?

Not to my knowledge. I thought that's why joiners and thickness planers
were invented.

Anyway thanks, all these years and I have never been to Mason.

I've just about quit Mason's and started taking my bidness to Hardwoods
of Houston on W 34th. I tend to use baltic birch for drawer material and
they do have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 plus I believe they have 1/2 in 4X8 sheets but
I may misremember that.

Hardwood products does not have anything less than 4/4 unless that has
happened in the last few months, same goes for Clarks in the Heights, that
big place. ;~)

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can help you with some domestic wood types
I have black walnut, butternut, cherry, basswood, red elm, grey elm,
hackberry. green ash, blackash, white oak, red oak, white ceder,
white pine, red pine, aspen, white birch, maple some spalted maple.
black ash burl. just let me know I'll do what I can for ya. Need a
little advance notice on it as most is just air dry and I'd need to put
it in the kiln to finish it up. you can contact me thru.
www.highislandexport.com
p.s. I'm not a big company, just a little guy doing what I do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message
news

"Leon" wrote in message

Some of them offer 1/8" 1/4" and 3/8" stock?

Not to my knowledge. I thought that's why joiners and thickness
planers were invented.

Yeah but the OP was looking for a source for those thicknesses.

Anyway thanks, all these years and I have never been to Mason.

I've just about quit Mason's and started taking my bidness to Hardwoods
of Houston on W 34th. I tend to use baltic birch for drawer material and
they do have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 plus I believe they have 1/2 in 4X8 sheets
but I may misremember that.

What kind of hardwood selection and or depth of inventory does Mason's have?

Occasionally Hardwood Products stocks 4x8 1/2" Baltic Like Birch, I suspect
it is actually Appleply. From what I understand "ture" Baltic Birch only
comes in 5x5 sheets.

Hardwood products does not have anything less than 4/4 unless that has
happened in the last few months, same goes for Clarks in the Heights,
that big place. ;~)

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Some of them offer 1/8" 1/4" and 3/8" stock?

Not to my knowledge. I thought that's why joiners and thickness
planers were invented.

Yeah but the OP was looking for a source for those thicknesses.

Missed that.

Anyway thanks, all these years and I have never been to Mason.

I've just about quit Mason's and started taking my bidness to
Hardwoods of Houston on W 34th. I tend to use baltic birch for drawer
material and they do have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 plus I believe they have 1/2
in 4X8 sheets but I may misremember that.

What kind of hardwood selection and or depth of inventory does Mason's
have?

Considerable, from rough blanks 8/4 and such to S4S 1X and 2X. They
also have an in-house molding operation and a catalog of knives plus stock
some standard profiles (crown, chair, cove and such) in a handful of
species. But then, I believe Hardwoods of Houston does that, too.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Considerable, from rough blanks 8/4 and such to S4S 1X and 2X. They
also have an in-house molding operation and a catalog of knives plus stock
some standard profiles (crown, chair, cove and such) in a handful of
species. But then, I believe Hardwoods of Houston does that, too.

Dave in Houston

Thanks for the input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:54:55 -0600, "Dave in Houston" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

HofH used to stock profiles. Haven't been there in a couple of years. Leon, here's Mason's URL.
They also have a place in Austin apparently.

http://www.masonsmillandlumber.com/default.asp

Regards,
Roy