Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Putting off buying a router raiser for the table? A gloat!

I'm a woodworker whose techniques rely on the router table, but as a retiree
on a strict budget, $2-300 for a raiser seemed out of my price range.

This past weekend, www.woodcraft.com sent me an e-mail advertising the Freud
FT1700 variable speed 2-1/4HP router for $99 -- while supplies last. It
didn't take much research to realize what a find that was. The router has a
built-in mechanism for above-table height adjustment that, at least on two
tries, works flawlessly and easily. It comes with a single wrench -- and a
shaft lock -- and a fixed base and that's about it. Just basic stuff, but
I've permanently removed my PC from the table to plunge use and intend to
permanently keep the Freud in the table -- I've even removed the handles to
make a little more room underneath.

I'm smiling from ear to ear after using it and I'm in love. (I have
absolutely no connection whatsoever with the vendor, just a really happy
customer).

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought this same router a few months ago in a kit w\fixed and plunge
base and included aluminum table insert plate. Some others have
complained about this router's plunge base being not so smooth. I have
only used it with the fixed base so far. I like the soft start. I hate
the switch. I have to re-learn how to shut it off every time and that
can be a bit dangerous when you are done and trying to set it down and
have to fumble to shut it off. Once I remember how to shut it off it
is easy but not very intuitive. Seems like it will likely break easy
also which with my normal fast and rough handling means it will break
for sure.

I will likely mount this in a table permanently and add an on-off
switch on the table. Yes it's only 2 1/4 hp not 3 but it has variable
speed and I have a shaper for the bigger stuff and with the included
plate and above table adjust I still think I got a great deal.

On Feb 23, 10:13*am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Grrr. I'm on just about every damn mail list except this one. I just
finished my new router table for my PC, but could use a dedicated router
for the table. this would have been perfect, 'cept my local store is
sold out.

Larry

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD - It's still listed on Woodcraft's website, or did they distribute all
available stock to their retail outlets? Like Sonoma, I picked up the same
kit, have only used it in the fixed base, and except for the fact that the
switch is a little different, it otherwise performs very well. Should be
great in a table, the shaft lock and one handed wrench bit change is very
slick, soft start is nice, and is relatively quiet.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Shipping is free and they were available online 3 hours ago - my wife
even said OK to buying ;-)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
[...]

I was lucky enough to find a brand new one on Craigslist. The guy bought it
new with expectations to use but he discovered the wife cheating on him,
filed for divorce and sold much of his toys. Yes, I had to hear the ENTIRE
wife story when I picked it up but for $75 , it was worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

They are still available on line at 10:30 PM and I haven't told wife
yet LOL
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well now that I know the guy was a fellow woodworker I feel really bad
about our affair.

On Feb 23, 4:15*pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

wife story when I picked it up but for $75 , it was worth it.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH wrote:
[...]

Did you get the wife's number?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
SBH wrote:
[...]

Better, I know which house she lives in because it's a few doors from his.
He had to move out of the house they shared and bought one a few doors down.
I hope he doesn't see me going in.