DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop heat -- getting rid of condensation (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/27183-shop-heat-getting-rid-condensation.html)

Edwin Pawlowski February 1st 04 09:26 PM

Shop heat -- getting rid of condensation

Since it warmed up to a balmy 30 degrees today I got to work in the shop for
a while. We recently had a thread about condensation. Today I came up with
an idea that worked.

Since I have little use these days for a hair dryer, I took it to the shop
with me. Cranked up the heater, but I also put some localized heat right on
the saw top, and a few other cast iron pieces. It eliminated the forming of
condensation, plus it added 1200 watts of heat for the 10 minutes that I ran
it.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

ATP February 1st 04 10:02 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Since it warmed up to a balmy 30 degrees today I got to work in the
shop for a while. We recently had a thread about condensation.
Today I came up with an idea that worked.

Since I have little use these days for a hair dryer, I took it to the
shop with me. Cranked up the heater, but I also put some localized
heat right on the saw top, and a few other cast iron pieces. It
eliminated the forming of condensation, plus it added 1200 watts of
heat for the 10 minutes that I ran it.

Any type of radiant heater would also do the same thing. The guy with the
big propane heater that had the condensation problem could probably run a
small propane radiant unit facing his machines and eliminate the
condensation. I never get my shop warm enough for moisture to condense, at
least in January.

George February 1st 04 10:50 PM

Shop heat -- getting rid of condensation

Just putting the air in motion should do it, really. Give it a try, if you
don't want the heat.

Save the hair dryer for the pipes....

. com...

KYHighlander February 2nd 04 02:19 AM

Shop heat -- getting rid of condensation

In KY there isn't enough humidity in the air to condense on anything in
January, but now come July it'll run down your chin.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

Edwin Pawlowski February 2nd 04 04:16 AM

George wrote:
Just putting the air in motion should do it, really. Give it a try,
if you don't want the heat.

Save the hair dryer for the pipes....

Holding a cast iron tool that is 5 degrees is not a lot of fun, so the added
heat is a bonus. --