Guy LaRochelle

Default Tablesaw push stick?

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Bay Area Dave

you GOTTA be kidding!!

Now the rest of you guys here have an inkling of why I started the
"Isn't relying on someone else's plans ..." thread back in August of
last year???

sigh...

dave

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Rod

in other words.... "I'm too freaking lazy to search the internet myself"...

Should you be running power tools?

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Leon

I designed one very similar to yours.. except that my handle extends
forward more so that I have more leverage on downward pressure to prevent
lifting.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick

on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Everyone has different ideas about what's comfortable/safe, and that might
well change with the task. I have made many different styles down through
the years and settled on one that is comfortable for most rips (picture on
the website below, Fixtures and Jigs page ... just one look at it will

allow
you to copy it, and be my guest.) YMMV.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

Ray

There is a couple samples here.

http://www.woodzone.com/tips/push-stick.htm

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
I designed one very similar to yours.. except that my handle extends
forward more so that I have more leverage on downward pressure to prevent
lifting.

Sounds like we may be of the same school when it comes to controlling
possible kickback situations by judicious force instead of ducking. ;)
It's been a pretty comfortable design for me ... I can get a surprising
amount of leverage just by rotating my wrist downwards without moving my
hand.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

Bridger

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:33:02 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"
wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

here's what I do:

take a triangle of plywood. the last few I have made were the cutoff
from corner cabinets, but you could easily make your own triangles
G. a right triangle with sides of about 12 to 16 inches will be
about right. get out your most comfortable fitting handsaw, the one
that you can cut for hours with without getting blisters. lay the
triangle on the bench with the saw on top of it, with the spine of the
saw about parallel to one of the 90 degree sides. trace around the saw
handle. cut the line, sand round over and add a notch at the bottom to
push the board with.

I like that when holding this your fingers are curled up out of the
way.
SwampBug

Pics on ABPW

--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Guy LaRochelle

Thanks..........to the guys who gave me a freindly response.

Some responded to the fact that I should do a search myself.........well I
did that before putting the question on the group. I didn't like anything I
saw...........every site wanted to sell me something and I was just looking
for something different than the pattern I have from my Delta unisaw manual.
I thought this is what the group was for. If I can't use it for that I will
just unsubscribe. Personally, I think it is people like Rod who should
unsubscribe or just read and keep the fingers off the keyboard. There is
many times I read threads on newsgroups and would like to answer the way he
did but I just keep it to myself. Again.................thankyou to the
people who responded in a helpful manner. Regards. -Guy

wrote in message
in other words.... "I'm too freaking lazy to search the internet

myself"...

Should you be running power tools?

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick

on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Swingman

Ah yes, very similar to _my_ push stick stick.

I would say that yours is more Nahm inspired Functional, with a pleasing
touch of Arts and Crafts inspired Utility, but definitely created in a
"shop" and therefore more bourgeois... while mine has more of the graceful
curves of a Maloof inspired, "studio created" piece, more appropriate for
adding dignity to what would be an otherwise vulgar operation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Pics on ABPW

Matt Zach

Default glass houses .... (?)

Thou oughtest not to be slothful to the destruction of the miscreants, but to
constrain them to obey our Lord God. --Rivers.

Guy LaRochelle wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Roy Smith

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

I would say that yours is more Nahm inspired Functional, with a pleasing
touch of Arts and Crafts inspired Utility, but definitely created in a
"shop" and therefore more bourgeois... while mine has more of the graceful
curves of a Maloof inspired, "studio created" piece, more appropriate for
adding dignity to what would be an otherwise vulgar operation.

I had an plastic snow brush for my car which had a really comfortable
curve to the handle. It was the kind of handle which nestled firmly but
gracefully in the hand, making the tool an extension of one's inner self.

So I laid it on top of a piece of 3/4 pine scrap, traced it with a
pencil, cut it out on the bandsaw, rounded the edges with a rasp and
some 60-grit sandpaper, and put a notch in the end. I suppose you might
call it "Nouveau K-Mart".

I do like a nice glass of well-aged bourgeois with dinner, but only if
I'm done using power tools for the day.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use?

Lay the cat down flat on some plywood and draw round it.

jo4hn

Guy LaRochelle wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Sheesh. Read the whole thread and not one mention of dead cats.
Thought for sure that this was an obvious straight line for some of the
screwballs out there. Tom, are the photos of the contest entrants still
out there somewhere?
mahalo,
jo4hn

David Hall

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Yeah, look in the Harbor Freight catalog for the grey plastic pushstick and
make one like it. Or just buy a couple three for $1.50 each.

Dave Hall
Mike

Guy:

It's not the question but how you ask it. If you had stated that you did a
search and couldn't find anything you probably wouldn't have not have gotten
the responses you did. Next time give a little more background to your
question.

T.

Sun, Feb 1, 2004, 12:59pm (EST-1) (Guy=A0LaRochelle)
says:
Thanks..........to the guys who gave me a freindly response.

Acually, that looked like everyone. Just that a couple gave

Some responded to the fact that I should do a search myself.........well
I did that before putting the question on the group. I didn't like
anything I saw

And, you also didn't say that, so how is anyone to know?

every site wanted to sell me something and I was just looking for
something different than the pattern I have from my Delta unisaw manual.

Musta been using the wrong search words then. Did you try changing
your search phrase?

I thought this is what the group was for.

I beg your pardon?

If I can't use it for that I will just unsubscribe.

You didn't "subscribe" in the first place.

Personally, I think it is people like Rod who should unsubscribe or just
read and keep the fingers off the keyboard.

Not really. I had the same thought. Probably a lot of others did
too. After all, you didn't bother to say you had already looked, or any
details. Lack of details, that'll get you every time.

There is many times I read threads on newsgroups and would like to
answer the way he did but I just keep it to myself.

OK.

Again.................thankyou to the people who responded in a helpful
manner.

Guess that pretty well include everyone then. Including Rod.
Hehehe

And, why in Hell do you put all thos periods in your sentences?

JOAT
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
- Pete Maccarrone

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 31 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Nick Bozovich

Some pretty awesome projects you've completed. Great workmanship and
finishing. GREAT style!

Don't get me started on your shop - to say it's fantastic is an
understatement! It's obivious you've put a considerable amount of thought
and work into it - BYW, do you heat it in the winter? How?

Very nice set-up -

Nick B

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick

on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

Everyone has different ideas about what's comfortable/safe, and that might
well change with the task. I have made many different styles down through
the years and settled on one that is comfortable for most rips (picture on
the website below, Fixtures and Jigs page ... just one look at it will

allow
you to copy it, and be my guest.) YMMV.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

Mark

How do you hold the cat down, glue or brads? What kind of glue should I
use if my shop isn't heated, Gorilla or Titebond? If it's a long haired
cat, should I use Titebond II or III??? Does Norm use brads or glue???
If David Marks uses cats, does that mean he works in a shop or a
studio??? I did a Google search on brad nailers and cats and came up
with nothing. Somebody shut me up before I explode...........
Mark
P.S. Birch ply or OSB.....tic tic tic tic BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use?

Lay the cat down flat on some plywood and draw round it.

SwampBug

Sometimes a push stick is just a push stick!

--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Swingman" wrote in message
Ah yes, very similar to _my_ push stick stick.

I would say that yours is more Nahm inspired Functional, with a pleasing
touch of Arts and Crafts inspired Utility, but definitely created in a
"shop" and therefore more bourgeois... while mine has more of the graceful
curves of a Maloof inspired, "studio created" piece, more appropriate for
adding dignity to what would be an otherwise vulgar operation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"SwampBug" wrote in message
Pics on ABPW

Jules

Bay Area Dave wrote:

you GOTTA be kidding!!

Dave

Good news. I see our friend DE is still with us! I'll bet you enjoyed
seeing his pictures. Did you see the pictures he's posted. (I liked
your plywood printer stand too. ) Wow, I hope he gets to keep the router
bits! He's always up to such interesting stuff in the shop. Isn't he.
Now you can ask him those questions you've been having? I hope he
doesn't get shy again. I'm not sure but I think somebody said something
snarky to him. Would you know anything about it Dave? I'm sure it was
just a maturity mistake.

Sometimes good people slip and do things they regret later. There isn't
a man among us who hasn't made a mistake. It's sad but it happens. I'm
sure we both agree whoever it was, is sorry and feels bad about it. In a
sense, whoever it was, did something worse to himself. I think it's
important to teach children that they will slip and fall but it is how
they recover from it later that is important. And not let it define who
they become, or to limit their growth.

After-all, we are what we do.

Unisaw A100

Say Dave, care to regale us with the technical term for the
item the man is wanting a pattern for? Just remember, the
term can't have "thingie" in it.

UA100, who is thing, Stick For Manipulating Wood Through Saw
Cutting Machine has a good ring to it but may be a wee bit
longish...
Swingman

Thanks for the kind words, Nick.

Heat? No heat or AC. We haven't had a freeze yet this winter that I am aware
of, and I wear shorts and t-shirts in the shop year around no matter what.
It gets downright balmy in the summer months, so I enjoy anything
approaching cold while I can... this August I'll be looking back on January
with fondness, wishing I could have stored it up somehow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message

BYW, do you heat it in the winter? How?

Very nice set-up -

Swingman

LOL ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

I had an plastic snow brush for my car which had a really comfortable
curve to the handle. It was the kind of handle which nestled firmly but
gracefully in the hand, making the tool an extension of one's inner self.

So I laid it on top of a piece of 3/4 pine scrap, traced it with a
pencil, cut it out on the bandsaw, rounded the edges with a rasp and
some 60-grit sandpaper, and put a notch in the end. I suppose you might
call it "Nouveau K-Mart".

I do like a nice glass of well-aged bourgeois with dinner, but only if
I'm done using power tools for the day.

Bay Area Dave

tsk, tsk.

I wouldn't want to spoil your fun by revealing your identity...

too bad for you I'm not biting.

keep trying though; you are mildly entertaining, if not somewhat
transparent.

dave

Jules wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

make that "... if somewhat transparent".

wrote:

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a tablesaw push stick on
the web that is comfortable to use? Regards. -Guy

here's what I do:

take a triangle of plywood. the last few I have made were the cutoff
from corner cabinets, but you could easily make your own triangles
G. a right triangle with sides of about 12 to 16 inches will be
about right. get out your most comfortable fitting handsaw, the one
that you can cut for hours with without getting blisters. lay the
triangle on the bench with the saw on top of it, with the spine of the
saw about parallel to one of the 90 degree sides. trace around the saw
handle. cut the line, sand round over and add a notch at the bottom to
push the board with.

I like that when holding this your fingers are curled up out of the
way.

That's exactly what I do, and it's worked out very well for me.

Ed
Nick Bozovich

Swingman-
I'm envious - it's about 7 degrees here tonight - about 2' of snow on the
gound - no heat in my "shop" (garage), so no dust for awhile....one of these
days I'm going to figure out how to heat it within my budget -

"Swingman" wrote in message
Thanks for the kind words, Nick.

Heat? No heat or AC. We haven't had a freeze yet this winter that I am

aware
of, and I wear shorts and t-shirts in the shop year around no matter what.
It gets downright balmy in the summer months, so I enjoy anything
approaching cold while I can... this August I'll be looking back on

January
with fondness, wishing I could have stored it up somehow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message

BYW, do you heat it in the winter? How?

Very nice set-up -

Keith Carlson

"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
Thanks..........to the guys who gave me a freindly response.

Some responded to the fact that I should do a search myself.........well I
did that before putting the question on the group. I didn't like anything

saw...........every site wanted to sell me something and I was just

looking

Stay tuned for JOAT's next Google search class.
Umm... when is the next one on the schedule?

Guy LaRochelle

"T." wrote in message

And, you also didn't say that, so how is anyone to know?

* I didn't know I had to write a book before asking a question just to
explain why I am asking the question.

Musta been using the wrong search words then. Did you try changing
your search phrase?

* Yes, maybe I was using the wrong search words. I am not an expert on
browsing the web and I don't want to be because I would never get anything
done.

I thought this is what the group was for.

I beg your pardon?

* So what are newsgroups for if you can't ask questions?

If I can't use it for that I will just unsubscribe.

You didn't "subscribe" in the first place.

* I use Outlook Express to access newsgroups and the terminology they use is
"SUBSCRIBE".

Personally, I think it is people like Rod who should unsubscribe or just
read and keep the fingers off the keyboard.

Not really. I had the same thought. Probably a lot of others did
too. After all, you didn't bother to say you had already looked, or any
details. Lack of details, that'll get you every time.

* I'll try and remember that for next time. (I'll preceed my question with a
book)

There is many times I read threads on newsgroups and would like to
answer the way he did but I just keep it to myself.

OK.

Again.................thankyou to the people who responded in a helpful
manner.

Guess that pretty well include everyone then. Including Rod.
Hehehe

And, why in Hell do you put all thos periods in your sentences?

* I don't know, you tell me..............you seem to have all the
answers.grin

http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

* For a guy who doesn't seem to like things in point form, meaning that I
should write a book before asking a question to explain why I am asking the
question, you should do some work on your website..........it gets a little
too much to the point for my liking (and yours).

jo4hn

Yer right. Warn't there when I writ the first time.
j4

Dusty Workshop

Go to the Delta Tools website http://www.deltawoodworking.com/ and
open one of the owners manuals for the table saws. The 2nd to last
page is a pattern for a push stick. If you need a pattern for a push
block look here http://www.deltawoodworking.com/ Hope this helps you.
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Look at a Kerosene heater. I bought one and am very pleased with it.
heats my 3-car garage just fine after an hour or so. Of course, I
don't spray anything while it is running.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Thanks for the kind words, Nick.

Heat? No heat or AC. We haven't had a freeze yet this winter that I am

aware
of, and I wear shorts and t-shirts in the shop year around no matter what.
It gets downright balmy in the summer months, so I enjoy anything
approaching cold while I can... this August I'll be looking back on

January
with fondness, wishing I could have stored it up somehow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/31/04

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message

BYW, do you heat it in the winter? How?

Very nice set-up -

Bridger

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:55:48 -0600, "SwampBug"
wrote:

Pics on ABPW

mee too... pics on abpw G
Bridger