Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need advice on "vice"

Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R.M.R" wrote in message
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn.

Can't tell you what the material is, but should you not be able to replace
it, you might try a pair of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,41659

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need advice on "vice" (w / pictures)

Upscale wrote:#Can't tell you what the material is, but should you not
be able to replace it, you might try a pair of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,41659

~~~~~
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R.M.R" wrote in message
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

From what I can make out, it looks like a type of chipboard. I don't think
you have to worry as much about what it is, rather find something that is
likely softer than the wood you'd be working with. Even some slabs of hard
rubber should be able to fill you needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R.M.R" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:#Can't tell you what the material is, but should you not
be able to replace it, you might try a pair of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,41659

~~~~~
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

It looks like it's just glued on hardboard (the stuff pegboard is made of).
You should be able to get a piece at your local "home center" that you can
cut replacements out of. I can't tell by the pics how thick yours is. The
stuff available locally is 1/8 and 1/4 inch. I think you'd have to move
into fiberboard to get any thicker (or do 2 layers of 1/4 inch).

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 8:22*am, "R.M.R" wrote:
Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray

You could use cork, Homasote or fiberboard. Homasote might be my
first choice as it's cheap enough. You can get it at any local art/
craft store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R.M.R wrote:
Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray

Five bills??? No vice is worth $500

Use hardboard (Masonite).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

R.M.R wrote:
Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray

Five bills??? No vice is worth $500

Sheesh, youse guys. Vise. VISE. A $500 VISE is over the top. A $5 VICE is
inconvenient, but hardly debilitating.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will you be able to use one of those white cutting boards made of hard
plastic? It is widely available, cheap, and you should be able to cut
and shape it easily.

On Feb 15, 8:22*am, "R.M.R" wrote:
Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about using one of those white cutting boards made of hard
plastic?
They are widely available, cheaper than wood, and easy to work with.

Andy Tenka

On Feb 15, 8:22*am, "R.M.R" wrote:
Good day all. I have a question concerning an old Stanley No. 700
bench vice that has soft pads. I bought it at a yard sale and for 5
bills it was worth it after a little elbow grease , however the soft
pads, that resemble a type of brownish material about 1/4" thick
similar to peg board material seems to be worn. Would anyone know what
type material it is or what would be a good substitute. If necessary
I'll supply a picture. Thanks and have a safe day... Ray

Posted to rec.woodworking

R.M.R wrote:
Upscale wrote:#Can't tell you what the material is, but should you not
be able to replace it, you might try a pair of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,41659

~~~~~
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

Why don't you just use some white pine, or "white board" as it seems to
be called now? What you have looks like chip board, or wafer board,
whatever you call it. Pine is soft, cheap and 10 times better than chip
board.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Upscale wrote:

"R.M.R" wrote in message
Thanks bud, if I can't find something similar I'll try those. Below is
a picture of the ones I described... Ray,

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...yMo700Vice.jpg

From what I can make out, it looks like a type of chipboard. I don't
think you have to worry as much about what it is, rather find something
that is likely softer than the wood you'd be working with. Even some
slabs of hard rubber should be able to fill you needs.

Interesting. Traditionally, at least in the UK, a hardwood such as beech
would be used for this purpose. It would extend about 1/2" beyond the
metal, all round, and the metal recessed into it so that there is no risk
of edge tools coming in contact with the metal. It should be 1/2" thick,
not including the recess, and the grain should be vertical.

Why vertical grain? I can see reason to prefer end grain, butcher block
style, for the compressive load between the vise faces. I installed thick
horizontal grain faces to extend the vise width. Racking so far isn't a
problem. Why vertical grain?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote

I can see your reasoning too if you are trying to increase the effective
width of the vice and might possibly have something to hold that is held
just by the wood.

Vertical grain, (i.e., "rift", "edge-grain", or "quarter sawn") is more
dimensionally stable across the face, and is less like to warp or cup since
most of dimensional instability is in thickness, important in a vise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote

I can see your reasoning too if you are trying to increase the effective
width of the vice and might possibly have something to hold that is held
just by the wood.

Vertical grain, (i.e., "rift", "edge-grain", or "quarter sawn") is more

Oh. *That* vertical grain. Makes sense now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote

I can see your reasoning too if you are trying to increase the effective
width of the vice and might possibly have something to hold that is held
just by the wood.

Vertical grain, (i.e., "rift", "edge-grain", or "quarter sawn") is more

Oh. *That* vertical grain. Makes sense now.

Most old timers considered "grain" as the most important attribute when
choosing wood for a particular purpose. You see evidence of this in most of
the older, 19th/early 20th century, literature on woodworking and carpentry.

While not exactly a lost art, or rocket science, most folks today, when
faced with choosing fence posts from a stack, would be hard pressed to pick
the ideal ones for the job by just looking at the ends, or when siding a
house, which grain direction would hold a paint job longer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Most old timers considered "grain" as the most important attribute when
choosing wood for a particular purpose. You see evidence of this in most of
the older, 19th/early 20th century, literature on woodworking and carpentry.

While not exactly a lost art, or rocket science, most folks today, when
faced with choosing fence posts from a stack, would be hard pressed to pick
the ideal ones for the job by just looking at the ends, or when siding a
house, which grain direction would hold a paint job longer.

Are you kidding? They don't about grain anymore on finish carpentry.
How many times have I walked through the Lowes or HD cabinet section
and seen doors on which the rails and stiles look like different species?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--