Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge of plywood table top.

I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It is a
piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer edging. It
says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of the side or in
the middle of one side? I plan to use a pre stain sealer and then a good oil
based stain. What should I use to get a good hard finish? Will several coats of
poly provide enough protection? TIA Chuck B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It

is a
piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer edging.

It
says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of the side

or in
the middle of one side?

Doesn't make much difference in my opinion. Whichever way is easiest to
apply the whole strip is good as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I do prefer however is the type of veneer stripping. I've used
both the iron on type and the use your own white glue type. I believe the
use your own glue type holds better. It takes longer to install and having
some edge clamps makes the work go a lot faster. However, the iron on type
is easier to use. Both types work well and hold fine.

On another note...

I like the iron-on stuff for shelf edging, but prefer a thicker solid
edge for table tops. The thicker edge can stand up to life's bumps that
a table top may see. It's also really easy to put a decorative edge on
the solid wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:22 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It
is a piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer
edging. It says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of
the side or in the middle of one side? I plan to use a pre stain sealer and
then a good oil based stain. What should I use to get a good hard finish?
Will several coats of poly provide enough protection? TIA Chuck B.

If it is a really nice table top, consider putting a real wood border around
it. Looks much better than edge banding.

Several coats of poly will give plenty of protection, but will look like
plastic unless you rub it out. Done properly, it will look like a high
quality hand rubbed finish that looks very professional.

One coat of poly thinned about 10% with mineral spirits
lightly sand
Second, third coats full strength, sand between with 320 grit
Fourth coat if needed

Cure for at least two weeks, four is better

Wet sand with 400 grit
Rub with pumice
Rub with rottenstone
Wax
Admire

Not only will a solid wood edging look better, it may prove more
durable. A thin veneer edging presents a sort of "sharp" edge when
something is dragged across it, say a sleeve of a jacket, and is more
likely to be caught and separated from the table top. A solid edging,
say 1/4-inch thick, with rounded edges, will present a softer, more
forgiving surface to objects which may drag across that edge.

Good thoughts. I will see what's available CB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the help CB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chuck" wrote in message
I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It
is a piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer
edging. It says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of
the side or in the middle of one side? I plan to use a pre stain sealer and
then a good oil based stain. What should I use to get a good hard finish?
Will several coats of poly provide enough protection? TIA Chuck B.

The problem with this type veneer is that it is so thin that it can easily
be torn off if someone or something bumps into the corner of the table.
Cabinet grade plywood being relatively soft does not add much of a stable
backing on corners if it gets hit. Think about kitchen counter tops that
are covered by Formica or some thing like it. How many times have you seen
the edging pulled away from a corner?

The better choice would be to go with narrow solid wood edging to protect
the edges and corners of the plywood top.

As far as finishes to, again plywood tends to be pretty soft, no finish that
I know of will add much protection against hard dings, you will still get
dents pretty easily if you are not very careful with what you use the table
for. Harder finishes tend to be more protective against scratches. The
hardness of the wood does more in helping to prevent dents and dings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for the info. I may have chosen the wrong wood for this project. It is
very soft and will be used in a teenagers room. The original top suffered nail
polish remover, hot curling irons, and other unknown solvents. I will have to
have a talk with her. I thought about putting glass over the wood. CB