Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there a Tool Opposite of Vice (Separator)?

Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in either
direction) with much pressure). I've seen the same made by other companies
which are much better (read: useable). They come in as many different
sizes as any bar clamps.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Not sure what application you had in mind, but many clamps permit turning
the heads for outward pressure.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,43838

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Albert,
Here you go:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd300003
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in
either direction) with much pressure).

And the trigger/handle breaks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in
either direction) with much pressure).

And the trigger/handle breaks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

You've used them, too? (grin)

One of those times where I looked and thought, how bad can a clamp be?

*That* bad.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes - they have hydrologic 'jaws of life' if you will. They are
two flat and wide jaws that point down to a shallow v point. Then
the pump is used to change the tip wider and wider.

Some bar clamps are reversible and will push outward as well - but you
need an opening for it.

It is hard to visualize what you need this for and the application.

Martin

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

And the trigger/handle breaks.

You've used them, too? (grin)

One of those times where I looked and thought, how bad can a clamp be?

*That* bad.

Ed

Yep. :-)
They were like $2.50 a piece on sale months ago, so I figured what the
heck.

Sooner or later, I'll take 'em back for store credit.

Or maybe I'll just buy new ones and take back the old, broken ones. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible

Newer Bessey K Bodies,
Jorgensen Cabinet Masters
Jet, Bessey Clones

Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

This reminds me of working at an oil refinery in my late teens. The
rite of passage was to send the new kid to the tool crib and ask the
crusty old guy behind the fence for a board stretcher. I grew up with
a practical joker for a father so I got that one when I was about 11.
So when it got to "go check out a board stretcher" at the refinery off
I went. After dawdling around the bend a few minutes, I came back
with a smile and said it was checked out. They used a chip/tag
system, I knew the tag number for the guy who sent me, so I told
everybody assembled that it was checked out under one of his chips and
the tool crib guy really wanted it back.

hex
-30-
Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

For the "almost a foot" range, I have a small bottle jack that'd
probably do the job...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Yep. :-)
They were like $2.50 a piece on sale months ago, so I figured what the
heck.

Sooner or later, I'll take 'em back for store credit.

Or maybe I'll just buy new ones and take back the old, broken ones. :-p

I just picked up some for $1.99 each. I figure for small, light-duty
projects where all they have to do keep a little pressure on the parts while
the glue dries they're worth two bucks. I wonder if their screw-clamps are
any good, they put those on sale sometimes but they disappear pretty fast.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful, there
are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Wedges and a hammer work.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you look at some of the larger shop vices, some come with inserts on the
jaw face that are screwed or riveted in.

This is so the jaws can be made of different materials to hold differnt
types of work without damagging it.

You could make up a couple of plates that extend above the jaws but the wood
pieces would have to be gapped considerably before the metal jaws would fit.

If you already have a gap, why not use progressively thicker wooden wedges?

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just picked up some for $1.99 each. I figure for small, light-duty
projects where all they have to do keep a little pressure on the parts
while the glue dries they're worth two bucks. I wonder if their
screw-clamps are any good, they put those on sale sometimes but they
disappear pretty fast.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

Those are decent with a little spray lube.
Great thing about Harbor Freight is their return policy is inversely
proportional to the quality of their tools. :-)

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful,
there are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy stuff.

That is the same exact package that Woodcraft sells for 10-12 bucks.
I like mine. That plastic is stronger than it looks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

Those are decent with a little spray lube.
Great thing about Harbor Freight is their return policy is inversely
proportional to the quality of their tools. :-)

I've only returned one item there and they gave me no hassles. Speaking of
Woodcraft it was an item sold at both stores but significantly cheaper at
HF. However I bought all the accessories at Woodcraft because they were
closing them out and gave me a decent price. I hear a lot more of, "Let me
see what I can do out-the-door" at Woodcraft these days.

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful,
there are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy
stuff.

That is the same exact package that Woodcraft sells for 10-12 bucks.
I like mine. That plastic is stronger than it looks.

Yeah, it looks like it would be stronger than it looks. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

another possible name for it, a "Device". ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in either
direction) with much pressure). I've seen the same made by other companies
which are much better (read: useable). They come in as many different
sizes as any bar clamps.

Ed

Same kind of tool: the Irwin Quick-Grip clamps. I've had some reversible
ones as well for a few years now, and I am generally well pleased with
them apart from the fact that the bars are not as rust-resistant as I
would like and that I dropped one off the bench and the side-cover broke
off. Other than that they've worked well as quick-clamps and also as
spreaders in cabinet assembly occasionally.

Clamping is reasonably forceful, the plastic/grips have not broken yet
(and I use them constantly) but I've managed to get the bars to flex
when using them as a spreader. Careful use advised in that direction it
seems.

Wouldn't dream of buying some cheap knock-offs. I paid about 10 times
the price of the item you quoted, and no regrets :-D

-P.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 4:38*pm, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. *Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. * I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

I have some of the Irwin type clamps that can be reversed to act as a
spreader.
They have limitations as to pressure that you can exert with them and
you will need to slide the rubber pads on opposite of the way the come
new so as you're tightening/spreading the rubber feet don't push
themselves off.
(that was probably a lousy description for how the rubber pads that
are supposed to be protecting your surface slip as you exert
pressure.)
Robb

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dl Dl is offline

replying to Ed Edelenbos, Dl wrote:
What is the exact name?? No one says it here

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...or-449364-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 6:14:04 PM UTC-4, Dl wrote:
replying to Ed Edelenbos, Dl wrote:
What is the exact name?? No one says it here

First, this thread is about 11 years old.

Second, the post just before yours (Knotbob, 1/29/09) includes the name in
the first sentence.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Searching under "vise" instead of "vice" gives results much more pertinent.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ck ck is offline

Le 28/07/2020 Ã* 09:26, Madder&Madder Media a écritÂ*:
A couple of bench dogs in vice and bench?

C.
On Tuesday, 27 January 2009 at 21:38:25 UTC, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

One of those jacks to lift vehicles whose form is a diamond, maybe with
some modifications.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ck ck is offline

Le 28/07/2020 Ã* 09:47, ck a écritÂ*:
Le 28/07/2020 Ã* 09:26, Madder&Madder Media a écritÂ*:
A couple of bench dogs in vice and bench?

C.
On Tuesday, 27 January 2009 at 21:38:25 UTC, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

One of those jacks to lift vehicles whose form is a diamond, maybe with
some modifications.

In order to be precise: a minni scissor jack. See

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mini-scissor-jack.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9unWI16ASk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:02:01 AM UTC-4, ck wrote:
Le 28/07/2020 Ã* 09:47, ck a écritÂ*:
Le 28/07/2020 Ã* 09:26, Madder&Madder Media a écritÂ*:
A couple of bench dogs in vice and bench?

C.
On Tuesday, 27 January 2009 at 21:38:25 UTC, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

One of those jacks to lift vehicles whose form is a diamond, maybe with
some modifications.

In order to be precise: a minni scissor jack. See

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mini-scissor-jack.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9unWI16ASk

Although the original question was asked over a decade ago, one key issue
still remains:

"Something to put between two boards and apply some force outward to help
separate them"

No where do I see any indication of how close these boards are together
or anything else related to their (then) current orientation.

Kinda tough to make a recommendation as to what to use unless we know what
the OP is (was) trying to do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2020 11:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Although the original question was asked over a decade ago, one key issue
still remains:

"Something to put between two boards and apply some force outward to help
separate them"

There's a tool for that--it's often mistaken for a screwdriver...