Old January 28th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there a Tool Opposite of Vice (Separator)?

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

This reminds me of working at an oil refinery in my late teens. The
rite of passage was to send the new kid to the tool crib and ask the
crusty old guy behind the fence for a board stretcher. I grew up with
a practical joker for a father so I got that one when I was about 11.
So when it got to "go check out a board stretcher" at the refinery off
I went. After dawdling around the bend a few minutes, I came back
with a smile and said it was checked out. They used a chip/tag
system, I knew the tag number for the guy who sent me, so I told
everybody assembled that it was checked out under one of his chips and
the tool crib guy really wanted it back.

hex
-30-

Old January 28th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

For the "almost a foot" range, I have a small bottle jack that'd
probably do the job...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Old January 28th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Yep. :-)
They were like $2.50 a piece on sale months ago, so I figured what the
heck.

Sooner or later, I'll take 'em back for store credit.

Or maybe I'll just buy new ones and take back the old, broken ones. :-p

I just picked up some for $1.99 each. I figure for small, light-duty
projects where all they have to do keep a little pressure on the parts while
the glue dries they're worth two bucks. I wonder if their screw-clamps are
any good, they put those on sale sometimes but they disappear pretty fast.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful, there
are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy stuff.

Old January 28th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Wedges and a hammer work.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old January 28th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

If you look at some of the larger shop vices, some come with inserts on the
jaw face that are screwed or riveted in.

This is so the jaws can be made of different materials to hold differnt
types of work without damagging it.

You could make up a couple of plates that extend above the jaws but the wood
pieces would have to be gapped considerably before the metal jaws would fit.

If you already have a gap, why not use progressively thicker wooden wedges?

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Yes - they have hydrologic 'jaws of life' if you will. They are
two flat and wide jaws that point down to a shallow v point. Then
the pump is used to change the tip wider and wider.

Some bar clamps are reversible and will push outward as well - but you
need an opening for it.

It is hard to visualize what you need this for and the application.

Martin

Old January 28th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I just picked up some for $1.99 each. I figure for small, light-duty
projects where all they have to do keep a little pressure on the parts
while the glue dries they're worth two bucks. I wonder if their
screw-clamps are any good, they put those on sale sometimes but they
disappear pretty fast.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

Those are decent with a little spray lube.
Great thing about Harbor Freight is their return policy is inversely
proportional to the quality of their tools. :-)

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful,
there are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy stuff.

That is the same exact package that Woodcraft sells for 10-12 bucks.
I like mine. That plastic is stronger than it looks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Old January 28th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4854

Those are decent with a little spray lube.
Great thing about Harbor Freight is their return policy is inversely
proportional to the quality of their tools. :-)

I've only returned one item there and they gave me no hassles. Speaking of
Woodcraft it was an item sold at both stores but significantly cheaper at
HF. However I bought all the accessories at Woodcraft because they were
closing them out and gave me a decent price. I hear a lot more of, "Let me
see what I can do out-the-door" at Woodcraft these days.

I got a set of these at HF recently and they've proven very useful,
there are some decent items there in between the somewhat shoddy
stuff.

That is the same exact package that Woodcraft sells for 10-12 bucks.
I like mine. That plastic is stronger than it looks.

Yeah, it looks like it would be stronger than it looks. ;~)

Old January 28th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

another possible name for it, a "Device". ;~)

Old January 29th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in either
direction) with much pressure). I've seen the same made by other companies
which are much better (read: useable). They come in as many different
sizes as any bar clamps.

Ed

Same kind of tool: the Irwin Quick-Grip clamps. I've had some reversible
ones as well for a few years now, and I am generally well pleased with
them apart from the fact that the bars are not as rust-resistant as I
would like and that I dropped one off the bench and the side-cover broke
off. Other than that they've worked well as quick-clamps and also as
spreaders in cabinet assembly occasionally.

Clamping is reasonably forceful, the plastic/grips have not broken yet
(and I use them constantly) but I've managed to get the bars to flex
when using them as a spreader. Careful use advised in that direction it
seems.

Wouldn't dream of buying some cheap knock-offs. I paid about 10 times
the price of the item you quoted, and no regrets :-D

-P.
Old January 29th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 4:38*pm, Albert wrote:
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. *Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. * I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

I have some of the Irwin type clamps that can be reversed to act as a
spreader.
They have limitations as to pressure that you can exert with them and
you will need to slide the rubber pads on opposite of the way the come
new so as you're tightening/spreading the rubber feet don't push
themselves off.
(that was probably a lousy description for how the rubber pads that
are supposed to be protecting your surface slip as you exert
pressure.)
Robb