Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it possible to reverse the rotation of a radial saw motor?

Just wondering whether it could be done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it is 3 phase, swap two of the power wires.

Otherwise the motor might have cw and ccw shades and
it is a mater of re-wiring. Takes specs of that motor
and knowledge.

Martin

Just wondering whether it could be done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I got my Delta Band saw - it came from a good dealer in
a state. The manager was at a conference and the guys shipped
a bandsaw and a motor. The motor had sawdust on it and wasn't
in a new box. Hum - stripped it off something. Looks new.

I installed it and the saw ran backwards. Just like a lathe....
I swapped the wires as mentioned - inside it was marked - and
then the saw cut wood. I then converted it to 14".

So wood working motors as others reverse.

Martin

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Some do, some don't - and some are unpredictable. A good friend has a
nice radial arm saw from the 60's -can't remember the manufacture
(deWalt, perhaps?)r but it's hammertone green - and it will
occaisionally start backwards - but worse yet, if it jams it WILL
reverse. It will throw sticks with a veangeance given half a
chance!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 7:06*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Strange, I've spent my life NOT wondering *

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I find that question often interrupts dreams of a sexual nature.
It is just when the blond swedish twins start unbuttoning their tops
that
the question about motor reversal rears its ugly little head.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't believe so.

It is an AC motor and will rotate with the field.

If it was three phase it could be done.

Why??

wrote in message
Just wondering whether it could be done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Just wondering whether it could be done.

Yes, Turn the motor and blade unit 180 degrees so that the blade is located
on the opposite side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:06 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.
I've always wondered the same thing.

Strange, I've spent my life NOT wondering

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I find that question often interrupts dreams of a sexual nature.
It is just when the blond swedish twins start unbuttoning their tops
that
the question about motor reversal rears its ugly little head.

It's good that I've learned to set my coffee down before reading
anything posted to this group. Out through the nose is no place to send
a big slurp of hot coffee. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:36:07 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

It's good that I've learned to set my coffee down before reading
anything posted to this group. Out through the nose is no place to send
a big slurp of hot coffee. :-)

Cleans and sterilizes the sinuses to prevent infection.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:06 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Strange, I've spent my life NOT wondering

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I find that question often interrupts dreams of a sexual nature.
It is just when the blond swedish twins start unbuttoning their tops
that
the question about motor reversal rears its ugly little head.

I feel your pain in my waking state, other things when asleep

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 5:13*pm, wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

As others have noted, you might be able to swivel the
sawhead 180 degrees (would only be safe if you
also repositioned the fence to the far-from-column
side of the work).

Electrically reversing the motor is probably psosible
(usually these have brush-style motors, you could
reverse the brush polarities); the gears, however,
would NOT necessarily mesh neatly with the newly
reversed drive, and some kinds of spiral-cut gears
could cause the blade position to destabilize.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:54:24 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

Electrically reversing the motor is probably psosible
(usually these have brush-style motors, you could
reverse the brush polarities);

I assume this is an AC motor. Don't the brush polarities reverse 60
times per second already? Or possibly I'm not understanding what
you're saying?

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Electrically reversing the motor is probably psosible
(usually these have brush-style motors, you could
reverse the brush polarities);

I assume this is an AC motor. Don't the brush polarities reverse 60
times per second already? Or possibly I'm not understanding what
you're saying?

They do indeed reverse 120 times per second (60 full cycles per second),
but so does the field coil, so the relative magnetic polarity of the one
with respect to the other stays the same. In other words, the repulsion
or attraction of the two doesn't change. By swapping the brush
connections, the magnetic polarity of the rotor with respect to the
stator is reversed and the motor forced to turn in the other direction.

Motors of this design are often termed "universal motors" because they
will operate properly on AC or DC current, and furthermore are not
particular about AC power frequency. My RAS with such a motor is
specified as being for either 25Hz or 60Hz AC; I assume 50Hz would also
be OK. DC is presumably not listed because of the power switch being
insufficient to properly cut off high DC currents, not because the motor
would fail to work properly.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:24:09 -0500, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

They do indeed reverse 120 times per second (60 full cycles per second),
but so does the field coil, so the relative magnetic polarity of the one
with respect to the other stays the same. ...

That's the way I understand it and I won't quibble on whether it's 60
or 120 time/sec. Kinda depends on the definition of "reversing". So
"reversing polarity" of the brushes - which I interpret to mean
switching leads - won't have any effect on rotation direction of a
universal or any other type of AC motor. That would be no different
than reversing the plug in the wall socket.

On the other hand, breaking the motor open, and doing some internal
rewiring might accomplish the mission.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

They do indeed reverse 120 times per second (60 full cycles per second),
but so does the field coil, so the relative magnetic polarity of the one
with respect to the other stays the same. ...

That's the way I understand it and I won't quibble on whether it's 60
or 120 time/sec. Kinda depends on the definition of "reversing". So
"reversing polarity" of the brushes - which I interpret to mean
switching leads - won't have any effect on rotation direction of a
universal or any other type of AC motor. That would be no different
than reversing the plug in the wall socket.

On the other hand, breaking the motor open, and doing some internal
rewiring might accomplish the mission.

Switching the leads to the brushes generally does require breaking the
motor open and rewiring it internally a bit. It's not the same as
reversing the plug in the wall socket (which, as you correctly observe,
would have no effect on the direction of rotation). Swapping the input
leads changes both the field (stator) and the rotor, and so the rotation
stays the same. Swapping the brush leads changes only the rotor, but
leaves the field unchanged, so the relationship between them is reversed.

Here's the a link to a quick schematic sketch of this operation on a
series wound motor that might make things a bit clearer:

http://users.gmavt.net/drewe/pix/misc/Motor.png

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

If it is a single phase motor it won't reverse.

Think about all those two prong corded ac 115 VAC tools......

You can reverse rotation on a three phase mpotor but as the other folks
said, why?

wrote:

Electrically reversing the motor is probably psosible
(usually these have brush-style motors, you could
reverse the brush polarities);

I assume this is an AC motor. Don't the brush polarities reverse 60
times per second already? Or possibly I'm not understanding what
you're saying?

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Giuliani" wrote in news:MdPdl.1150$Aw2.892
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

If it is a single phase motor it won't reverse.

Think about all those two prong corded ac 115 VAC tools......

You can reverse rotation on a three phase mpotor but as the other folks
said, why?

If you reverse the rotation, doesn't it reattach the piece you cut off?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:38:04 GMT, "Jay Giuliani"
wrote:

If it is a single phase motor it won't reverse.

Think about all those two prong corded ac 115 VAC tools......

You can reverse rotation on a three phase mpotor but as the other folks
said, why?

.. .
wrote:

Electrically reversing the motor is probably psosible
(usually these have brush-style motors, you could
reverse the brush polarities);

I assume this is an AC motor. Don't the brush polarities reverse 60
times per second already? Or possibly I'm not understanding what
you're saying?

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

You most certainly CAN reverse a single phase motor. On some motors
the connections are brought out to make it simple, on others you would
need to dig a bit.

My lathe has a 1 HP single phase cap start motor that can be started
in either direction.

Almost any single phase induction motor will run backwards if spun
fast enough backwards before power is applied
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2009 8:07 AM Robatoy mumbled something about the following:

On Jan 15, 7:06 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.
I've always wondered the same thing.

Strange, I've spent my life NOT wondering

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I find that question often interrupts dreams of a sexual nature.
It is just when the blond swedish twins start unbuttoning their tops
that
the question about motor reversal rears its ugly little head.

Shredded wheat and milk through the nose is painful. Oh, and you owe me
a keyboard.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS #154
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Yes, Turn the motor and blade unit 180 degrees so that the blade is
located on the opposite side.

So uh, while my answer may have seemed like a wise ass answer, if you took
my suggestion would it accomplish what you are trying to do? Having use a
RAS for 5 or 6 years to build probably half the furniture in my house and
used lots of attachments on it, I have never needed to make the motor spin
in the opposite direction in which it was wired to do.
Why do you need to reverse the spin on yours?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 10:17*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Yes, Turn the motor and blade unit 180 degrees so that the blade is
located on the opposite side.

So uh, while my answer may have seemed like a wise ass answer, if you took
my suggestion would it accomplish what you are trying to do? *Having use a
RAS for 5 or 6 years to build probably half the furniture in my house and
used lots of attachments on it, I have never needed to make the motor spin
in the opposite direction in which it was wired to do.
Why do you need to reverse the spin on yours?

I have been experimenting with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDrKjY0adw

No shown are a few more items that we installed later:

A chip deflector and a scrub brush anti-kickback.

I am also working on a mechanical hold down.

Just having fun and games,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 1:42*pm, Tom Veatch wrote:

..."reversing polarity" of the brushes - which I interpret to mean
switching leads - won't have any effect on rotation direction of a
universal or any other type of AC motor. That would be no different
than reversing the plug in the wall socket.

On the other hand, breaking the motor open, and doing some internal
rewiring might accomplish the mission.

What I intended was to swap the wires to the two brushes
(this is easy to describe, there are other rewirings that would
accomplish the same thing). Because the brushes activate
the ROTOR magnetization, the swap would reverse the rotor
poles without changing the other magnetic part, the STATOR.
That accomplishes the reversal of a brush-type (universal) motor.

Think of the (temporary N) pole on the rotor, pulled clockwise;
if you make it instead a (temporary S) pole, the attraction
becomes repulsion and the motor goes counterclockwise.

Swapping the wall socket polarity would reverse both rotor
and stator fields, so has no effect on rotation direction.